Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DNA choices for adoptees

• 10-08-2018 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

pinkypinky wrote: »
    FTDNA is doing some excellent summer sales during August. Prices vary depending whether you're upgrading or buying new, but worth a look.

Thank you pinkypinky, can I please ask you what is the best test for a female to take who is trying to find out about her biological fathers side?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Have a read of our DNA beginner's post - at the bottom of this thread. Autosomal is what you want to take.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

Have a read of our DNA beginner's post - at the bottom of this thread. Autosomal is what you want to take.

Thank you pinkypinky. I have already taken an ancestry autosomal test so just wondered is there a test for a female on ftDNA what would be more beneficial :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

justagirl wrote: »
    Thank you pinkypinky. I have already taken an ancestry autosomal test so just wondered is there a test for a female on ftDNA what would be more beneficial :)

I would save your money and upload the results you have to Gedmatch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

justagirl wrote: »
    Thank you pinkypinky, can I please ask you what is the best test for a female to take who is trying to find out about her biological fathers side?

To trace your father's side, a YDNA test by a brother would be best.
    If that option is not available then if you do an autosomal test, like ancestry, you would need to identify relatives that you know for certain are related on your mother's side (maybe having a cousin from your mother's side take a test to confirm these).
    By a process of elimination of those relatives you know to be related on your maternal side, you may be able to tell if someone if on your father's side.

Everyone: please keep this thread for offers only.

I can split off these latest posts into a new thread if you want to continue.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    I would save your money and upload the results you have to Gedmatch.

I have already done that :)

Ipso wrote: »
    To trace your father's side, a YDNA test by a brother would be best.
    If that option is not available then if you do an autosomal test, like ancestry, you would need to identify relatives that you know for certain are related on your mother's side (maybe having a cousin from your mother's side take a test to confirm these).
    By a process of elimination of those relatives you know to be related on your maternal side, you may be able to tell if someone if on your father's side.

No option of getting a brother to test, unfortunately. I think I have located a female cousin who has test so I'll try that route of identifying my biological mothers side - thanks.

Everyone: please keep this thread for offers only.

I can split off these latest posts into a new thread if you want to continue.

Sincere apologies pinkypinky, yes please if you could split this off to a new thread I'd be very appreciated. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭VicWynne

Justagirl - I would try to add your atDNA to as many databases as possible...

You're already in Ancestry and gedmatch.com which is a really good start.

I'd download the RAW data from Ancestry and upload to both FTDNA and MyHeritage too. If memory serves it's free to upload - there is a small ($20?) fee to get ALL your matches on FTDNA, but I think it might be worth it for you.
    IF and when money allows, you might want to test with 23and me, but they're not the best for genetic genealogy, though they have some testers that might share their matches and are not in the other databases.

Best of luck with the searching.
    HTH

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

VicWynne wrote: »
    If memory serves it's free to upload - there is a small ($20?) fee to get ALL your matches on FTDNA, but I think it might be worth it for you.

I didn't know that. Can you elaborate?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Yes - they don't give your full matches, but you do get all the close ones.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Well the close ones are the ones I'm after so I mightn't need to pay the extra for now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

MyHeritage had a special offer / free DNA testing for adoptees. Blog and although the project DNAQuest has now ceased it is worth looking at occasionally to see if it relaunched

The OP has done an Ancestry test already.

There's not much we can add to what's been said.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement