Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ancestry DNA Test

Options
  • 01-07-2018 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Just an FYI for anyone thinking of sending off a sample and wondering about the timeframe involved.

I posted of a test on the 20th June, and results arrived today...which is a pretty decent turnaround time in fairness....not the research really begins!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Mine was a bit slower, maybe 3 weeks, pretty good really. Found a lot of matches and already hooked up with some of them. Glad I did it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Mine was 5 weeks with Family Tree DNA, bit it was after a bit advertising campaign, so I expected a bit of a delay. It was still quicker than the time frame we had been told (six weeks).

Don't forget gedmatch.com if you want to match with other companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

I did Ancestry's last fall and just did FamilyTree.  So far, Ancestry's has been a lot more helpful. I am in the US if that makes any difference in the recognized connections or number of close connections--none on FamilyTree.
    A tip for Ancestry. Even if there is no tree attached, click on the person's name to get to their page and many times there is a tree--they just didn't attach it to the DNA results.
    Also, if there is no tree but you click on 'Shared Matches' you can often figure out which line of your family the match is in--if you have already done a lot of research via records.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

I completely agree with VirginiaB in her tips. I have some relatives from all corners of my tree who did the DNA test, and it really helps in narrowing down the family line....two of my first cousins on one line have done the test so I've "anchored" many of the matches off them, and am going to work down one family line at a time! Also, Ancestry allows you to put a little note on each match too, so you can remember who you've investigated, contacted, matched, etc....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well, FTDNA lets you see shared matches and make notes too. I also like their feature where you can confirm the connection. Ancestry doesn't have that and it keeps offering me shaky leaf reminders on my 1C1R who I know personally and arranged the DNA test for.

The main thing that Ancestry is lacking is the chromosome browser. I wanted to see if 2 people who both matched me had a greater match and on which chromosomes. I had to persuade the Ancestry user to upload to Gedmatch (they did).

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Hi Pinkypinky, now that I have my Ancestry DNA test done, are you saying I can upload those results to gedmatch? Or do I upload my tree? Sorry if I'm being a bit thick!

You can upload to Gedmatch. Just register with them and follow their instructions.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

VirginiaB wrote: »
    I did Ancestry's last fall and just did FamilyTree.  So far, Ancestry's has been a lot more helpful. I am in the US if that makes any difference in the recognized connections or number of close connections--none on FamilyTree.
    A tip for Ancestry. Even if there is no tree attached, click on the person's name to get to their page and many times there is a tree--they just didn't attach it to the DNA results.
    Also, if there is no tree but you click on 'Shared Matches' you can often figure out which line of your family the match is in--if you have already done a lot of research via records.

What do you mean by "click on the person's name"? That only brings you to the screen that says X "has not yet linked a family tree to their AncestryDNA results."

There's tabs on that screen though - one is shared matches.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Earnest, On Ancestry, click on the person's name which should bring you to their page with their name again and a bit of info.  Then scroll down slightly and you might see one or more family trees listed.  You don't necessarily see it if you don't scroll down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Earnest wrote: »
    What do you mean by "click on the person's name"? That only brings you to the screen that says X "has not yet linked a family tree to their AncestryDNA results."

When you get to that screen click on the persons name to go to their profile page where they may have a tree you can access.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

Hermy wrote: »
    When you get to that screen click on the persons name to go to their profile page where they may have a tree you can access.

Thanks, Hermy and Virginia. Yes, it works all right, but from ten tries it produced only a couple of microscopic trees. But undoubtedly another thing to check.

I think a lot of people seem to be using the DNA as the starting point to research their ancestry, hence why they don't appear to have any trees on ancestry, or only have a handful of people listed. I find it frustrating that someone would buy the DNA kit and then not do anything else...I've seen some matches that haven't logged in in over a year....and I've contacted many of them without reply....why go to the trouble of doing the DNA and then not exploring further!! Sorry, thats my little rant over :)

Patience, patience, Earnest. That's what genealogy is all about. Just last night I found someone this way with a tree of almost 200 people. Nothing helpful but the extra step is like buying a lottery ticket with a lot better odds. I have gotten lucky at other times.
    I agree with hjr that a lot of people use DNA as a hoped-for short-cut to answers they can only get with records.  To me, the records give pictures of real people with names and unique stories, full of drama and pathos.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'd imagine also that a lot of these DNA kits are bought as presents and the recipients are not so inclined as some of us from this parish to see about compiling family trees.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Very good point, Hermy--and I like your term, 'this parish'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I think Hermy hit the nail on the head, personally I did a DNA test not because I was interested in genealogy but because I was interested more in what the test could tell me about deeper history (and pre-history) when it came to stuff like population history/migration etc. Of course this is one of reason why I concentrated on Y-DNA testing, it's kinda cool to think that your specific Y lineage can probably be traced back to one man in South-East Asia around 30-40,000 years ago and that sub-branches of it only spread into western Eurasia during the transition from Neolithic to Bronze age (using ancient DNA to baseline that). Let alone that further back that every man (3.7billion) on the planet shares common ancestry around 190,000 years ago when it comes to their Y-lineage. (There were other men alive at time, however they haven't left any modern direct line descendants)

Now I have both Ancestry and 23andme tests, but again the main interest in those are from what the data can tell about broader history though I do have the skeleton of a tree up on Ancestry as well

Today Ancestry updated its DNA results with some big changes for a lot of people.  Their database is evidently much larger than whenever they did this previously.  Mine is now closer to my records research altho there is one very missing great-grandfather's DNA which was there before.  Has anyone who did Ancestry's test checked their results today?  Any surprises--or business as usual in the ancestor department?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

There wasn't much of a change for me.

My results changed from 96% Ireland/Scotland/Wales, 2% Great Britain, 1% Finland/Northwest Russia and <1% Scandinavia to 98% Ireland and Scotland and 2% England, Wales and Northwestern Europe.

My mum's results changed from 98% Ireland/Scotland/Wales, 1% Finland/Northwest Russia and <1% Europe East to 100% Ireland and Scotland.

My aunt's results changed from 99% Ireland/Scotland/Wales and <1% Great Britain to 100% Ireland and Scotland.

My great aunt's results changed from 95% Ireland/Scotland/Wales, 2% Europe South, 1% Great Britain, <1% Europe West and <1% European Jewish to 98% Ireland and Scotland and 2% England, Wales and Northwestern Europe.

I lost my 2% Spanish history overnight...! Just a regular old Irishman now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I lost my exotic middle eastern ancestry... but now I can't even access the Ancestry DNA results. I'm getting the 'File not found' screen.

I've gone to 100% "Ireland/Scotland", likewise my father is also 100% "Ireland/Scotland" and my mother is "98% Ireland/Scotland ⁊ 2% England, Wales and Northwest European"

What's interesting is the genetic community feature is somewhat accurate for my parents. Namely:

Dad: (father from Belfast, maternal grandfather form East Galway, maternal grandmother from Cork)
    • Ulster (likely) -- "East Ulster"
    • Munster (possibly) -- no distinct genetic sub-community

Mum: (whose from North Clare with ancestry in South Galway as well)
      • Munster (very likely) -> Southern Ireland (which basically is generic north munster/south leinster cluster)
      • Connacht (possible) -> Galway and North Connacht

I basically got "Munster (very likely) -- Southern Ireland". To put in perspective 5 of my 8 great grandparents were from Munster, 1 was from East Galway, 1 was from Belfast and final was "Liverpool Irish" (of probable Ulster background)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Compared to 23andme, how does Ancestry estimations look?

Here's my estimates - new and old on Ancestry and FamilyTree DNA on the right.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

My main area of research is my fathers side of the family, would i be better getting him to do the dna test or do it myself and have my mothers side as a bonus, bear in mind the results im most interested in is my fathers side so would it be more accurate to just get him to do it or does it not matter

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

cosanostra wrote: »
    My main area of research is my fathers side of the family, would i be better getting him to do the dna test or do it myself and have my mothers side as a bonus, bear in mind the results im most interested in is my fathers side so would it be more accurate to just get him to do it or does it not matter

It would be better if he took it.

You could technically test both yourself and your father. That way any matches you don't share come via your mother's line. Of course what's also worth pointing out is you might have matches through your mother where you don't share any DNA with them but your mother does (eg. when you got the 50% of DNA from your mother it didn't include DNA found in some matches she would have)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

In 2016 i was:

85% Irish
    5% Scottish
    5% Northwest Europe (Normandy mostly)
    5% Scandinavian/Viking

Now September 2018 i'm
    98% Irish/Scottish
    2% British/North Western Europe

Some posters here seem really erudite on the subject, i'm wondering what you think of, what seem to me to be, major changes. Where has my Scandinavian heritage gone.. is it in the Scottish and British/Western European dna?

Thanks very much.

It's just as they add more and more people to the database, they refine the markers tested and what they mean.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

pinkypinky wrote: »
    It's just as they add more and more people to the database, they refine the markers tested and what they mean.

More accurate i hope :)

Advertisement