Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About them vegans lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

And how is the weightlifting going since the change?

Was these any noticeable differences in your performance in the gym or changes to your health?

I have read of some athletes that are vegan but it's mostly endurance athletes from what I've read.

The boxer David haye never really looked the same when he went vegan.

So I try to do vegetarianism "properly".

I still eat eggs and cheese, and I supplement with whey protein, BCAA, fish oil (I know this isn't vegetarian) and multivitamins.

I also eat a lot.

My energy levels are fine and my lifting hasn't gotten worse.

I can't feel any health benefits, but there is a psychological benefit knowing I'm not hurting animals.

I guess eating more vegetables will have a long term health effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

We already grow it here
    https://www.thatsfarming.com/news/hemp-farming-details

You may have picked me up wrong Buford, I was just pointing out that it is massively subsidised and wouldn't be able to support itself under current conditions. I wouldn't like to see it stopped for obvious reasons!

Yeah, but the very same applies to every sector of the economy, especially labour. How many people here do you think would be able to survive on the world market price for their labour and first world costs for their consumables? You wouldn't need many hands (or fingers) to count them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,560 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I can't feel any health benefits, but there is a psychological benefit knowing I'm not hurting animals.

If I were you I wouldn't read about the dairy industry or that psychological benefit will be gone fairly lively

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If I were you I wouldn't read about the dairy industry or that psychological benefit will be gone fairly lively

There’s nothing wrong with Dairy, particularly Irish dairy is done to very high standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

_blaaz wrote: »
    Mate,theres no sense to.the abuse your throwin out
    Veganism is good for everyone in the world,no.need to be trying to crap all over everyone for it

Mate - only replying to that bullcrap abuse thrown about by others here - I presume you've seen that no? . What I have written is simply true. Btw no issue with any one being vegan. Just dont like the crap written about those who eat meat and farming. As you said there is no need for plant food advocates to crap all over others because of that. The OP seems to have a point - certainly in relation to this thread. But there you go.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    There’s nothing wrong with Dairy, particularly Irish dairy is done to very high standards.

Many would disagree with you, and how is Irish dairy any better than English for example?

Many would disagree with you, and how is Irish dairy any better than English for example?

You see I've only worked in Irish farms so I can confirm it’s done to a high standard.

People disagree about the earth being round, doesn’t make them right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Nothing wrong with us vegan lads.

We are a great bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

The end product is very good and probably among the best in the world......but theres alot of unethical practices regarding shooting bull.calves hanging about it

Overuse of fertilizer/slurry and animals being pushed to their limits in terms of output and reduced lifespans to maximise profits....painting dairy farming as poster child for animal/envirnomental welfare is setting the bar very low particularly what has gone pn last 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I'm not an extremist about it.

Also, my ex had a farm and the cows loved being milked.

Of course there are a lot of incredibly ****ty milk and egg businesses out there.

I'm not trying to be perfect.

• Advertisement

The end product is very good and probably among the best in the world......but theres alot of unethical practices regarding shooting bull.calves hanging about it

Overuse of fertilizer/slurry and animals being pushed to their limits in terms of output and reduced lifespans to maximise profits....painting dairy farming as poster child for animal/envirnomental welfare is setting the bar very low

Nobody in Ireland is shooting bull calves. The department would be all over that if it were happening. People have no idea regarding the traceability of animals and how the department follow up on irregularities in even small issues.

As for cows being pushed hard, I’m not sure what you mean, yes they are treated well and fed well this helping them produce tontheir maximum, but it’s not wrong to treat and feed animals well.

As for fertiliser and slurry, yea they are issues with intensive farming and over and over I’ve voiced concerns about hyper intensive farming, I don’t like that. I’m more in favour of producing less better products and making consumers pay more for them. Views that aren’t that popular In many farming circles but I’m Not much concerned with popularity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Given the environmental impact of beef and dairy farming and the fact we have 9 million cows and export something like 90% of the produce, do people think we should just keep growing this sector? It's not like it's feeding the population of Ireland either.
    It reminds me of the fishing thing, our seas are completely overfished it's a bigger threat to marine life than plastic yet we can't put a ban on it because some people might be out of work. Surely we need to look at the bigger picture?

I don't know where this opinion that we produce beef in a really clean way comes from, experts say otherwise

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/irish-agriculture-greenwashing-its-climate-impact-an-taisce-1.3855084

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/dairy/irish-dairy-farms-produce-three-times-more-emissions-than-beef-tillage-and-sheep-teagasc-37953101.html

Surely we can continue to eat meat and dairy but do we really need 9 million cows and to keep expanding indefinitely?

This post is the reason most farmers treat vegans with visceral disdain. Not an attack on you, btw, just the lazy fact free figures used when it's so dimple to actualyl check the figures.

There were 2.31m cows in Ireland in 2015, from CSO figures using Dept of Ag CMMS data.

In total, there weren't even 7m cattle in total in Ireland in 2015. Those figures wouldn't have changed much as the increase in dairy cow numbers is mostly compensated for by a reduction in suckler cow numbers and increased live exports.

On exports, we also export the majority of our pharma sector, should we also reduce that to just cater for just what's needed here? Software? Electronic components? That argument is just silly, tbh, unless you wish to have a totally closed, circular economy.

This post is the reason most farmers treat vegans with visceral disdain. Not an attack on you, btw, just the lazy fact free figures used when it's so dimple to actualyl check the figures.

There were 2.31m cows in Ireland in 2015, from CSO figures using Dept of Ag CMMS data.

In total, there weren't even 7m cattle in total in Ireland in 2015. Those figures wouldn't have changed much as the increase in dairy cow numbers is mostly compensated for by a reduction in suckler cow numbers and increased live exports.

On exports, we also export the majority of our pharma sector, should we also reduce that to just cater for just what's needed here? Software? Electronic components? That argument is just silly, tbh, unless you wish to have a totally closed, circular economy.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/lsd/livestocksurveydecember2017/

CSO says 6.5 million, thought I had been hearing 9 million on the radio recently.

Well given the environmental footprint involved with beef and dariy yes I believe we should be cutting down our exports.

Oh and I'm not a vegan.

Nobody in Ireland is shooting bull calves

They do,because i knowm places it happened,same places used throw calves into tanks back in 80s aswell when my dad worked there

. The department would be all over that if it were happening. People have no idea regarding the traceability of animals and how the department follow up on irregularities in even small issues.

Thing is i am a farmer,and know full well the tracibility issues and know what is going on as regards cheating the system

This is before i mention what geos on in meat factories as my job brings me in and around killing halls (i went 6 weeks without eating meat over one incident i seen).....irish agri is good and safe etc....but ethically some seriously shady practices go on too....try and bury head in sand and pretend its all rosy in garden,but its not

They do,because i knowm places it happened,same places used throw calves into tanks back in 80s aswell when my dad worked there

Thing is i am a farmer,and know full well the tracibility issues and know what is going on as regards cheating the system

This is before i mention what geos on in meat factories as my job brings me in and around killing halls (i went 6 weeks without eating meat over one incident i seen).....irish agri is good and safe etc....but ethically some seriously shady practices go on too....try and bury head in sand and pretend its all rosy in garden,but its not

Nope.
    Very little shady stuff regarding traceability goes on. And that that does needs to be reported.

You had to go back to the 80’s to back up your statement showed allot.

Being around a killing hall isn’t for everyone, doesn’t mean what goes on is wrong. Many people couldn’t stand watching Surgury but doesn’t mean it’s wrong.

Nope.
    Very little shady stuff regarding traceability goes on. And that that does needs to be reported.

You had to go back to the 80’s to back up your statement showed allot.

The shooting calves happened in march lad?,i pointes out the thing in 80s to show its going on with generations?

You can rest assure tracibility and tagging is a joke as regards sheep....i put several hundred through my hands most years and worked in yards where factory buyer told young lads to make up numbers for sheep missing tags
    Being around a killing hall isn’t for everyone, doesn’t mean what goes on is wrong. Many people couldn’t stand watching Surgury but doesn’t mean it’s wrong.

I doubt very much cattle are supposed to be alive and roaring hanging up by the back leg beside other already killed cattles,and some lad had to come along and try a second time to kill em....this happens several times a day by all accounts

To.me the above is unethical and unacceptable to the extent i couldnt amd wouldnt eat meat for ages after it. (Also i now delibertely try eat all my own meat now aswel-i know this isnt realistic for most people)

The shooting calves happened in march lad?,i pointes out the thing in 80s to show its going on with generations?

You can rest assure tracibility and tagging is a joke as regards sheep....i put several hundred through my hands most years and worked in yards where factory buyer told young lads to make up numbers for sheep missing tags

I doubt very much cattle are supposed to be alive and roaring hanging up by the back leg beside other already killed cattles,and some lad had to come along and try a second time to kill em....this happens several times a day by all accounts

To.me the above is unethical and unacceptable to the extent i couldnt amd wouldnt eat meat for ages after it. (Also i now delibertely try eat all my own meat now aswel-i know this isnt realistic for most people)

Why did you do about it ?

We have a neighbor used to dealmin cull cows, often see dead cows abkut the place sometimes for weeks. Few calls to the department and he cleaned up his act.

They do,because i knowm places it happened,same places used throw calves into tanks back in 80s aswell when my dad worked there Thing is i am a farmer, and know full well the tracibility issues and know what is going on as regards cheating the systemThis is before i mention what geos on in meat factories as my job brings me in and around killing halls (i went 6 weeks without eating meat over one incident i seen).....irish agri is good and safe etc....but ethically some seriously shady practices go on too....try and bury head in sand and pretend its all rosy in garden,but its not

So are you a vegan and a farmer with livestock. How's that work out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Brian_ & gozunda in another thread about vegans. Posting all day long.

Cringe

Ye must have the two smallest farms in Ireland.

Gozunda - I beg of you, stop typing ‘but there you go’ in your posts. If I got €1 for every time you typed it out I could buy all the avocados in South America.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Tilikum17 wrote: »

Cringe

Gozunda - I beg of you, stop typing ‘but there you go’ in your posts. If I got €1 for every time you typed it out I could buy all the avocados in South America.
    They must be toy farms with plastic cows and sheep.

• Advertisement

Why did you do about it ?

We have a neighbor used to dealmin cull cows, often see dead cows abkut the place sometimes for weeks. Few calls to the department and he cleaned up his act.

I done nothing tbh....whats the pint....dept to best of my knowlege have a inspector in factory killing lines??...whats the point if he/she turns a blind eye...just bycott it at the shelf is handier

.but only time i did report something was for a lad with a shed of animals and dung (like literally silage was black coming out of "pit") being fed to em....and kinda got vibe it was a waste of time tbh

gozunda wrote: »
    So are you a vegan and a farmer with livestock. How's that work out?

Except im not a vegan (have never claimed to be),

But do see what they say as mostly valid points and tbh i prefer to cut down on meat/dairy by and large use my own produce (same for veg) but tbh sometimes its handy to run to chipper for snak box etc....basically im too lazy/not into food/different tastes enough to seek out veganism.....wish i was better person tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Jamari Defeated Plantation

Really??? Complete bullcrap. Btw I did not call anyone here a 'bitch'. However - you called your vegan 'friend' a bitch if you remember! You also funnily enough call yourself electro~bitch and yes that is "apt" imo given your level of vicious and frankly nasty comments.

Heres you calling one of your vegan friend(?) a 'bitch'

Lol and those few othet comments against for example this - absolute vicious ****e dripping with bile.

The anger and nastiness and personal comments are all yours electro~bitch. And more importantly complete and utter horse****e and untrue - and all of that just because you do not agree with what I post in defence of farming and those who chose to eat meat as part of their diet. Then you get upset about a meme someone posts wtf? Yes you and those usual nasty and puerile vicious comments can be seen for what they really are.

Btw as you quoted it - this is what I replied to the first part of the above puerile crap.

So that is correct - I don't like your tone or the pathetic comments. But you know what I dont care eitherway as I expected no better tbh. And no I dont care if you are a vegan or whatever.

Dude I've been defending farming here, I've barely seen you saying anything substantive about farming, it's just this sort of furious ranting against what you're now calling plant advocates.

That first paragraph is nonsense too "I didn't call you a bitch, I'm just saying that bitch is an apt term for you" okey dokey.

I wasn't upset or worked up or whatever about that meme, I was bored by a tired joke being barfed in to a thread.

As I said I was pretty amused to see your name popping up in the thread, it's funny seeing you call anyone who responds to you angry, vicious etc when it's impossible to read your posts in anything than the voice of a man with steam literally coming out of his ears. However I seem to personally get under your skin to the point where you're seeming genuinely unhinged rather than amusingly, incoherently and impotently worked up over nothing so maybe take your own often repeated advice and pop me on ignore? You're going to give yourself a stroke.

I'll keep you off ignore myself because your posts are funny and it's nice to see the rehabilition work you do for the public image of vegans. We should give you commission really!

Dude I've been defending farming here, I've barely seen you saying anything substantive about farming, it's just this sort of furious ranting against what you're now calling plant advocates.
    That first paragraph is nonsense too "I didn't call you a bitch, I'm just saying that bitch is an apt term for you" okey dokey.I wasn't upset or worked up or whatever about that meme, I was bored by a tired joke being barfed in to a thread.
    As I said I was pretty amused to see your name popping up in the thread, it's funny seeing you call anyone who responds to you angry, vicious etc when it's impossible to read your posts in anything than the voice of a man with steam literally coming out of his ears. However I seem to personally get under your skin to the point where you're seeming genuinely unhinged rather than amusingly, incoherently and impotently worked up over nothing so maybe take your own often repeated advice and pop me on ignore? You're going to give yourself a stroke.
    I'll keep you off ignore myself because your posts are funny and it's nice to see the rehabilition work you do for the public image of vegans. We should give you commission really!

Lol. You do write some complete utter rubbish.

Btw you called yourself Jamari Defeated Plantation or are you denying that as well? I'm sure others have pointed that out ...

Multiple vicous petty nasty little personal posts directed at little old me but nothing to do with the thread and all over several pages lol.

Yeah you're obsessed and to quote directly "you're going to give yourself a stroke" ...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The mental home seems to be missing a patient!

archer22 wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^The mental home seems to be missing a patient!

^^^^^^^^ More bs from the "opinionated vegatable eaters" of the OPs thesis?

You really are the gift that just keeps giving. Attack farmers, attack those who are not vegan and make derisory comments about the disabled. Fairly sick tbh.

Then none of that is surprising tbh. But you couldn't feking make it up either. The level of eejitery in this comment takes some beating.

Edit: oh look ....

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Tilikum17 wrote: »

Cringe

You could buy even more avocados if you got €1 for all the times he has said ‘I’ve nothing against vegans or people who don’t want to eat meat’

^^^^^^^^ More bs from the "opinionated vegatable eaters" of the OPs thesis?

You really are the gift that just keeps giving. Attack farmers, attack those who are not vegan and make derisory comments about the disabled. Fairly sick tbh.

Then none of that is surprising tbh. But you couldn't feking make it up either.

Mate you keep posting comments and deleting em after a while when noone bites and try again with something different

What your upto here is obvious

Mate you keep posting comments and deleting em after a while when noone bites and try again with something differentWhat your upto here is obvious

Why the snark? What's wrong with that post? Dont like it? Tbh all I see is more bs replies from angry posters?

But no need - I didnt get back to your post as the internet signal can be poor.
    Except im not a vegan (have never claimed to be),
    But do see what they say as mostly valid points and tbh i prefer to cut down on meat/dairy by and large use my own produce (same for veg) but tbh sometimes its handy to run to chipper for snak box etc....basically im too lazy/not into food/different tastes enough to seek out veganism.....wish i was better person tbh

Ok you are not a 'vegan' and you farm. Imo a lot of that which has been written about farming on this thread is pure rubbish tbh. A whole load of posters have had to point this out. Being vegan does not provide some divine understanding of farming. And from other threads its obvious that much of the rubbish spouted about farming relates to the US and elsewhere.

What you personally choose to cut down or otherwise is your own business imo. But I find it a bit odd that you link morality (with what you think you should be eating - not that has anything to do with anything btw) and believe that might make you a "better person". Especially as you farm livestock. Just seems your work appears to be at odd with your opinions and views about farming. For me I'd find that very strange tbh.

• Advertisement

This is entertaining :)

Advertisement