Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could change one thing about Ireland...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

i would make it summer all year round!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭GSBellew

I'd change the elephant in the room, social welfare rates.

I await the anti dole bashing backlash.

Those who have never contributed should get sweet feck all, no more drop out of school and sign on, give a minimal allowance, access to shelter, want more? work for it in one of the many jobs available to those who are willing to work.

The dole should primarily be a safety net for those that have contributed, rates should be proportionate to contributions and paid over a period reflective of the number of contributions they have paid in.

GSBellew wrote: »

Those who have never contributed should get sweet feck all, no more drop out of school and sign on, give a minimal allowance, access to shelter, want more? work for it in one of the many jobs available to those who are willing to work.

The dole should primarily be a safety net for those that have contributed, rates should be proportionate to contributions and paid over a period reflective of the number of contributions they have paid in.

Lets get rid of taxes then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

The way that we pay through our hole for motoring. Tax, insurance, petrol, the illegal vrt tax we pay.....

I would get rid of all the people. Cept maybe 30 of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭boardise

Radically and rationally recast the position of the ailing minority language Gaelic.
    For starters remove the surreal article in the Constitutional declaring it to be 'the first official language' and make it optional in the education system after primary school.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

More affordable places to rent, more suitable dwellings for people who want to live alone.

Get rid of RTE and Politicians.

Make us a part of the UK again. And leave the EU!

Spotted Dick for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

GSBellew wrote: »

There should be a maximum time in which you can claim it.

• Advertisement

Support minority religions more.

Start a proper fashion industry shake up our tourist industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Improve the weather, and strictly curtail the claiming of "compensation".

(That compo culture actually dictates a lot of the restrictions that companies and groups struggle under)

Oh, and I'd tighten up the planning laws against bungalow blisters, vanity developments, and ribbon straggle; more, and more prudent, housing..

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

I would put a tax on all people who stand in water.

Hobosan wrote: »
    I would put a tax on all people who stand in water.
    :pac:

I would put a tax on eyebrows so people would have to shave them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Cooking and nutrition should be taught. And a basic exercise plan.

Cooking and nutrition are taught as part of home economics, at least they were in my day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The weather is a big concern so far, however the country can't easily be shipped anywhere (unless outer SW sea territory or island building commences out towards Del Garda).

Instead put a large array of mirrors up in geostatic orbit, to blast down extra sun rays, use it also for interweb broadband satcoms stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

All these ideas are lovely lads,

but you have to fix the weather first. There's too much rain and not enough sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The way that we pay through our hole for motoring. Tax, insurance, petrol, the illegal vrt tax we pay.....

Road tax on a range rover here is treble that of the UK

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Road tax on a range rover here is treble that of the UK

So is insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'd change the views/intellect of a majority of the electorate away from short-term, selfish thinking to long-term, prudent and socially beneficial considerations.

We have generally awful politicians and political parties that enact policies to cater for the lowest common denominators.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Weather
    Motor tax.. Abolish it and make it pay as you go.
    Actually grow our military.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I'd pay the politicians double and half the minimum wage. Maybe bring in some kind of child labour to fill the gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

bear1 wrote: »
    Actually grow our military.

Why?
    They're a useless bunch of deafened weekend warriors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Why?
    They're a useless bunch of deafened weekend warriors.

Exactly why.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,392 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

A tax every time someone re-regs on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

If you could change one thing about Ireland, what would it be?

For me it's the courts system and the sentences handed down. I'm so sick of lenient and suspended sentences that I now just avoid reading about court cases in newspapers. People on 100+ previous convictions pleading with the judge about their tough upbringing and how they've now turned their life around. Absolutely infuriating how it's repeatedly allowed to happen!

I don't care what it takes - they can double my USC to pay for extra prison officers, they can build a massive prison next door to my house, I really don't care how it's done once the scumbags are taken off the streets and there's an actual deterrent for the type of people that feel the law doesn't apply to them.

100000% this
    Plus the abolishing of concurant sentening

i would make it summer all year round!
    Lets get rid of taxes then.
    I would get rid of all the people. Cept maybe 30 of us.
    Get rid of RTE and Politicians.
    Make us a part of the UK again. And leave the EU!

Spotted Dick for all!
    Support minority religions more.
    Start a proper fashion industry shake up our tourist industry.

"If you could change one thing about Ireland..."

I withdraw my earlier considered response. Let the church keep the schools. When it's become so bad that people can't even count to one, it's gone too far to be saved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

A united Ireland first and foremost.

However, even that wouldn't fix the weather.

Advertisement