Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Phone use in States

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I didn't realise Dual Sim phones were that flexbile. Really cool. Might try to make sure my next phone is DS.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Cheers for the tip, heading to the US later in the year so this will come in handy.

I'm also going to be heading north of the border to Ontario, Canada for a few weeks, has anyone come across any good deals to avoid roaming charges there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Toast

FYI to anyone considering roaming plans over local operators anytime you roam your data is handled by the home network of the sim. This means added latency to your data as each and every request gets sent back to Ireland to be dealt with which can result in a poor user experience.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Toast wrote: »
    FYI to anyone considering roaming plans over local operators anytime you roam your data is handled by the home network of the sim. This means added latency to your data as each and every request gets sent back to Ireland to be dealt with which can result in a poor user experience.

No, that isn't true at all!!

That isn't how network routing or roaming works. It would be a complete waste and extra cost for the operators to actually do that.

How it works is operators have an agreement with usually at least one operator in each country to handle data from their SIM's when someone is roaming in the country. They only exchange information on how much information is used and bill one another for the usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 GoWhest

Last year I got an Ultra Mobile SIM card from B&H Photo for about $35 delivered to Ireland. It was the $39 SIM card and came with one month of unlimited data, unlimited landline calls home, unlimited US calls and texts and they have some sort of call forwarding where if someone from Ireland calls an Irish number and puts in your US number they get through to you for the price of a local call here, which is free in most cases. AFAIK you can get these in the US airports but they charge a premium. I seen them in some of the city centre shops for RRP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭dodzy

GoWhest wrote: »
    Last year I got an Ultra Mobile SIM card from B&H Photo for about $35 delivered to Ireland. It was the $39 SIM card and came with one month of unlimited data, unlimited landline calls home, unlimited US calls and texts and they have some sort of call forwarding where if someone from Ireland calls an Irish number and puts in your US number they get through to you for the price of a local call here, which is free in most cases. AFAIK you can get these in the US airports but they charge a premium. I seen them in some of the city centre shops for RRP.
    Plenty of options but nothing I see has unlimited data.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/prepaid-service-plans/ci/24815/N/3899452590

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dodzy wrote: »
    Plenty of options but nothing I see has unlimited data.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/prepaid-service-plans/ci/24815/N/3899452590

Some of the options have "unlmited" data in a very restrictive and sneaky manner common in the US.

Basically you get something like 5GB of full speed data, once that is used up, you then get "unlimited" data, but it is restricted to severely slow speeds. Might be just about fast enough for a few whatsapp messages, but even websites would be painfully video and completely forget about video and streaming music.

I suppose it isn't a bad idea and better then nothing, but it does feel a bit like false advertising to fool people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Toast

bk wrote: »
    No, that isn't true at all!!
    That isn't how network routing or roaming works. It would be a complete waste and extra cost for the operators to actually do that.

I'm basing this on experience but for the sake of a source this is from the GSMA's website (they're the guys who would know).

http://www.gsma.com/aboutus/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/smsdataroamingexplained.pdf
    When abroad and accessing the mobile internet, including
    push e-mail, handset internet and mobile broadband
    services, also called Packet Switched Data (PSD), your
    connection is established by the visited operator’s network
    back to your home operator’s network.
    • The visited operator’s network passes your internet traffic
    via international data transit to and from your home
    network.
    • Your home network connects you to the internet, your
    e-mail account(s) and other data services.

Next time you are roaming go to whatsmyip.org or similar and it will have you still on your home carriers network.

As you've realised this is not cheap hence why there are heavy costs on data roaming. Also you've probably realised it is inefficient which is why I posted as people here are thinking roaming data will be of equal quality to a local sim which it increasingly won't be the further from home you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Soooo, this SIM card hasn't arrived in time for my trip :mad:. What options should I look at when I get to the US? Has anybody an idea of the best U.S. Data/Calls SIM card option to use please?

If it makes a difference, I will be in Florida state.

Thanks in advance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

I'm heading to the states soon as well and going to use
    https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-international-tourist-plan
    as linked in first post seems the best I could find, not sure about t-mobile coverage in Florida though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I used T mobile 21 days tourist sim. It costed 42$ or so including taxes.
    2GB 4G Internet and after that unlimited 3G for uptil 21 days.
    Free msgs and local calls.
    Good network, used in SFO, Los Angeles and Vegas. Happy with this deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

Soooo, this SIM card hasn't arrived in time for my trip . What options should I look at when I get to the US? Has anybody an idea of the best U.S. Data/Calls SIM card option to use please?

It largely depends on what you need. Do you need lots of data? Are you calling back home to mobiles or landlines? TMobile seems to be a good all round option.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

j_mo wrote: »
    It largely depends on what you need. Do you need lots of data? Are you calling back home to mobiles or landlines? TMobile seems to be a good all round option.

I'd cope with lots of data. I can use the data to make Whatsapp calls rather than cellular calls. Also use it for messages instead of sms.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭muttnjeff

We have free wifi in our US accommodation I am with eir bill pay with unlimited data.. would whatsapp etc be enough for out and about and google etc back in the house? am clueless and have been burned before with a huge bill after three day visit

muttnjeff wrote: »
    We have free wifi in our US accommodation I am with eir bill pay with unlimited data.. would whatsapp etc be enough for out and about and google etc back in the house? am clueless and have been burned before with a huge bill after three day visit

Your "unlimited data" on Eir is for Ireland only, you would be charged very expensive rates for using whatsapp, google etc when out and about in the US on Eir.

If you want to save money, you will need to get one of the other SIMs mentioned in this thread. Either a Three UK data sim or a local us sim like the T mobile one. Note if doing this your phone needs to be unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭muttnjeff

Thanks for that,good to know

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

In states at the moment and just got this package AND got CHARGED for the sim even after I challenged the sales person. Got onto customer services on chat and they logged me off after showing them website, which clearly states free sim card. So I'd say be advised or send to someone in states because then it is only $30 plus tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Received my Sim Today. It was delayed as I assumed with a .co.uk website it was coming from the UK. Came from the Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

No this is the one:

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/SIM-Cards/3/3-PAYG-4G-Trio-Data-SIM-Pack-Incl.-12GB-Data

The one you linked to will only last 30 days from first use, while this one will last 12 months (or until 12GB runs out). No calls or texts from this one, data only, but I'm fine with that when travelling, just use whatsapp.

Yup just whacked it into my phone and it worked straight off. However note I've an unlocked phone, you will need to unlock your phone first if it is currently locked.

BTW to add to what messinkiapina says above, my Irish number is on that Lyca deal. So what I do when I get to the US, is stick the Three UK sim in my iphone and put my Irish sim in an old dumb phone so that I can still get and make calls and texts from it too.

Alternatively a dual sim phone would get rid of this need.

Does anyone know if I can turn on tethering/hotspot with this sim. I was thinking of putting it in an old iPhone and connecting my new phone to it so I could get calls as normal but have constant wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

Have read through the whole thread but still cannot find a definitive answer lol,probably just me,
    So my daughter is heading to Germany for a few days next month,whats the best option for calls,texts and data for her?

• Advertisement

Lima Golf wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I can turn on tethering/hotspot with this sim. I was thinking of putting it in an old iPhone and connecting my new phone to it so I could get calls as normal but have constant wifi.

Yes, I've tested my 12GB Data one with my wifes phone for our US trip and it works fine. My Wireless Tethering on other phones had a tendency to time out after a certain length of time. I've never had it on long enough. I'm tethering now to my OP3T to my Laptop but when finished I switch it off.

Short answer, tethering works. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

Berty wrote: »
    Yes, I've tested my 12GB Data one with my wifes phone for our US trip and it works fine. My Wireless Tethering on other phones had a tendency to time out after a certain length of time. I've never had it on long enough. I'm tethering now to my OP3T to my Laptop but when finished I switch it off.

Short answer, tethering works. :p
    Legend was hoping this would work thanks Berty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

wiz569 wrote: »
    Have read through the whole thread but still cannot find a definitive answer lol,probably just me,
    So my daughter is heading to Germany for a few days next month,whats the best option for calls,texts and data for her?

You did read the title of thread didn't you? :D:D

Which network and plan is she currently on? Some networks here have ok roaming plans for Europe.

For data, the 12GB Three UK sim should work great in Germany. Can use it for whatsapp texts and voice and video calls too. But no "normal" calls and texts.

The Lyca sim with the Ireland Plus plan will give you free calls and texts (but not data) back to Ireland while roaming in Germany:

https://www.lycamobile.ie/en/roaming-sim-card

If you don't want to bother with two sims/phones, you can also buy 1GB of roaming data on the Lyca SIM for Germany for €12:

http://lycamobile.ie/sysimages/mediamanager/Home_April_2015_IE2.pdf

pilly wrote: »
    You did read the title of thread didn't you? :D:D

Yes I did but it went way of track ages ago so thought i might as well push it a bit further :D

Which network and plan is she currently on? Some networks here have ok roaming plans for Europe.

For data, the 12GB Three UK sim should work great in Germany. Can use it for whatsapp texts and voice and video calls too. But no "normal" calls and texts.

The Lyca sim with the Ireland Plus plan will give you free calls and texts (but not data) back to Ireland while roaming in Germany:

https://www.lycamobile.ie/en/roaming-sim-card

If you don't want to bother with two sims/phones, you can also buy 1GB of roaming data on the Lyca SIM for Germany for €12:

http://lycamobile.ie/sysimages/mediamanager/Home_April_2015_IE2.pdf

She is on the Guido plan with 48months but from what i can see you need to buy add-ons for roaming and they dont do roaming for data,

I have a spare Lyca sim myself so maybe that might work better, or can she use one of the 3UK sims that include calls,texts and data?

She is on the Guido plan with 48months but from what i can see you need to buy add-ons for roaming and they dont do roaming for data,

I have a spare Lyca sim myself so maybe that might work better, or can she use one of the 3UK sims that include calls,texts and data?

48months is pretty rubbish for roaming and just bad value in general.

I'd move her over to Lyca instead (you can port her number over) and get the Ireland Plus plan, which will give her free calls and texts back to Ireland while in Germany.

She can buy 1GB of data for that plan for Germany for €12 *

If that wouldn't be enough data, then the Three UK 12GB plan would give her more data.

I wouldn't bother with the Three UK plans that includes calls and texts. It gives you a UK number, not an Irish number and free calls and texts are only back to the UK on it, not to Ireland. So really not much use to us in Ireland.

* 1GB is fine for whatsapp, google maps and a bit of browsing, but video and streaming music or uploading lots of pictures would use it up very quickly. Also careful of facebook with the auto playing videos, can use a lot of data.

In other words, tell her to use the data for just keeping in touch and getting around. Stay off social media and enjoy the holiday.

If it was me I'd be moving to Meteor on a Sim Only Plan on a 30day contract, €25 a month for 6 months(you can leave after 30 days) and you get 15GB Data here(plenty) along with Unlimited Calls/Texts and when you roam you get to use all your calls and texts like normal and they give you 1GB of Data which is plenty for a few days so long as you're not streaming video and using Youtube.

It was fine for me for a week in France just using Facebook, e-mails, boards.ie and updating the news apps.

Berty wrote: »
    If it was me I'd be moving to Meteor on a Sim Only Plan on a 30day contract, €25 a month for 6 months(you can leave after 30 days) and you get 15GB Data here(plenty) along with Unlimited Calls/Texts and when you roam you get to use all your calls and texts like normal and they give you 1GB of Data which is plenty for a few days so long as you're not streaming video and using Youtube.

It was fine for me for a week in France just using Facebook, e-mails, boards.ie and updating the news apps.

Note, 1GB only for roaming in Europe, not roaming in the US (as per the thread title!)

Also the Lyca deal is much better value for money, just €7.50 per month, averaged over two months. Only downside being 3G rather then 4G. But if you are coming from 48months anyway, that is the same.

• Advertisement

Note, 1GB only for roaming in Europe, not roaming in the US (as per the thread title!)

Also the Lyca deal is much better value for money, just €7.50 per month, averaged over two months. Only downside being 3G rather then 4G. But if you are coming from 48months anyway, that is the same.

Well the person who asked the question a few posts back which we're answering currently asked about her daughter heading to Germany for a few days.

Advertisement