Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung QE55Q85R

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 inyourp

Would you not get OLED at this price range?

QLED seems inferior to OLED.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

People may chose to, this is for people in the market for an alternative to OLED (risk of screen burn etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

inyourp wrote: »
    Would you not get OLED at this price range?

QLED seems inferior to OLED.

Was just about to ask the same thing. I'm not up to date with the latest telly's. Our Samsung smart is close to 9 years old and we're due a new one.
    Many have recommended LG OLED. Specifically the C9, but prices are still quite high. So might settle for a B9 instead.
    Never spent more than €800 on a telly. No gamers in the house. Just mainly Netflix and soarview, but I do appreciate a 100hz refresh rate. Is there anything out there that's decent and comparable to an LG OLED?
    Tbh if I was going to spend €900+, might as well go for an LG OLED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Wonder would Richersounds / John Mc do a Boardsie offer if a few of us were looking to pull the trigger on B9 / C9's?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭laneooo

Was just about to ask the same thing. I'm not up to date with the latest telly's. Our Samsung smart is close to 9 years old and we're due a new one.
    Many have recommended LG OLED. Specifically the C9, but prices are still quite high. So might settle for a B9 instead.
    Never spent more than €800 on a telly. No gamers in the house. Just mainly Netflix and soarview, but I do appreciate a 100hz refresh rate. Is there anything out there that's decent and comparable to an LG OLED?
    Tbh if I was going to spend €900+, might as well go for an LG OLED

I would strongly recommend an OLED...I got my first OLED 3 years ago (the B7 ) and don't think I could go back tbh and currently waiting for the next gen B10 OLED I guess dunno if it will come out this year or what

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,855 ✭✭✭Soarer

RIALTO1 wrote: »
    People may chose to, this is for people in the market for an alternative to OLED (risk of screen burn etc).

There’s very little risk of screen burn these days.
    It’s the equivalent of people not buying a Skoda ‘cause they used to be rubbish

If you’re looking at spending this sort of money for a 55” tv, you’d be mad not to push the budget for an OLED.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

If you intend on holding onto a TV for more than 5yrs, I would not buy an OLED. The brightness will degrade overtime to as much as 50% of the level it was at when the panel was new. The screen burn problem has been fixed, but not the brightness deterioration issue, it is a physical property of the organic diodes in the panel.
    An LCD/ QLED can't be beat for reliability and if you read reviews of QLED vs OLED, you will find that there is not actually that much of a difference in the image qualities. The two technologies have their pro's and con's.
    Weigh up what suits your needs best.

https://www.techhive.com/article/3239350/will-hdr-kill-your-oled-tv.html
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/oled-vs-led/

Brightness isn’t that big a deal when colours are popping next to pure black.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭laneooo

Well, I've only had my OLED 3 years but it has LOTS of hours on it probably more than most and have had no brightness or screen burn issues. I have seen QLED vs OLED in person and IMO the OLED still pops out and that was in a well lit room...I think in a dark-ish room the OLED would have popped more...

I think now OLED has no downsides...absolutely amazing for movies and great for gaming now as well with very low input lag and gsync/freesync n all that stuff, if you intend on watching high quality content (HDR/high bit rate/high res etc) then I think there's only one way to go (just my 2 cents)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Homelander

If you intend on holding onto a TV for more than 5yrs, I would not buy an OLED.

That article says you'd have to watch for 5 hours a day for over 50 years to hit 50% reduction in brightness.

Regardless of how exaggerated that is, I don't think it's an issue for any normal household.

I think it'd be pretty mad personally to buy an LED tv when OLED was in the same price range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

laneooo wrote: »
    I would strongly recommend an OLED...I got my first OLED 3 years ago (the B7 ) and don't think I could go back tbh and currently waiting for the next gen B10 OLED I guess dunno if it will come out this year or what

I got my B7 two years ago and tbh I can see it being the primary telly until it starts to act up.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bobbyg

Sorry to drag up an old thread but looking at upgrading the TV to a 55 inch and possibly an OLED, would you get a decent one for 1k - 1.2k? Did anyone in this thread buy an OLED they could recommend, there was talk of an LG above. Cheers.

The LG OLED B9 is a good set, and in your budget. Comes with a 5 year warranty from Currys (if they're local) or 6 years from Richersounds.

You won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Del007

Go with richer sounds all the way.

They have just replaced my tv that I bought off them 4 years ago. They gave me a brand new replacement TV, 2020 model

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭rat catcher

Richer Sounds every time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bobbyg

Soarer wrote: »
    The LG OLED B9 is a good set, and in your budget. Comes with a 5 year warranty from Currys (if they're local) or 6 years from Richersounds.

You won't regret it.

Sorry to bump this, finally decided to pull the trigger on the LG B9 and it is discontinued, I can't seem to find it anywhere. Any suggestions to an alternative with a similar price tag, or where I might find the B9 now?

Advertisement