Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook on pigsback

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

No, it’s ancient - core 2 duo cpu for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

lordlame wrote: »
    No, it’s ancient - core 2 duo cpu for example.
    thank you, what kind of spec should I be looking for? Bit of a philisitine when it comes to knowing how to buy a laptop

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

That's the 2009 model. I have one and it breaks my heart tondo anything on it in the slightest!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

antodeco wrote: »
    That's the 2009 model. I have one and it breaks my heart tondo anything on it in the slightest!

Yep says it in the specs on fairness to the seller.

Just bought a non mac laptop for less than that brand new (2019 model).

Yep says it in the specs on fairness to the seller.

Just bought a non mac laptop for less than that brand new (2019 model).
    what laptop did you get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

That would've been a mid-range spec around 12 years ago....nothing to do with being against Mac, but you would be tenfold better off getting a new €300-400 laptop. Not only would it be new, it would be significantly faster.

Equally from looking on Adverts you can pick up 2nd hand Macbooks with similar spec for €150-200.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

What do you need to do with what software? Start there and then figure out your max budget. Then we can give you advice

bidiots wrote: »
    What do you need to do with what software? Start there and then figure out your max budget. Then we can give you advice

Just photoshop/lightroom as well as general entertainment, as mentioned in opening post

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭JDxtra

In general, anything on Pigsback is not a bargain. Its either knock off junk or refurbished ancient tech like this.

this is a solid performing 4-core cpu laptop with great all-metal build quality, great keyboard, full hd ips screen and very portable at 1.5kg

it also has good thermal design so can get the best performance out of that particular chip (can run at high speeds longer)

it's 550 £ but any cheaper laptop is going to be plastic build and with a worse screen and just generally not as good.

this will provide good performance for years.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-MateBook-2020-Multi-screen-Collaboration/dp/B083WXVJ13/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=matebook+d&qid=1586010440&s=computers&sr=1-2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

scrgirl wrote: »
    what laptop did you get?

Not the flashest model by a long shot but fir WFM where I'm storing everything on a work server it is fast and does the trick.

We were given a tax free allowance to buy equipment before this all blew up, wanted to keep my personal laptop for exactly that - personal stuff.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9175479/c_1/1|category_root|Office,+PCs+and+phones|14418968/Trail/searchtext>ASUS.htm

scrgirl wrote: »
    Just photoshop/lightroom as well as general entertainment, as mentioned in opening post

For general multimedia use, a general run of the mill 400 laptop from the usual places will do the job. But, once you start with the Adobe Suite, regardless of which app, you will need a decent Graphics card, otherwise you will be pulling your hair out, especially if you are going to deal with RAW images or high end processing.
    What is your budget?

bidiots wrote: »
    For general multimedia use, a general run of the mill 400 laptop from the usual places will do the job. But, once you start with the Adobe Suite, regardless of which app, you will need a decent Graphics card, otherwise you will be pulling your hair out, especially if you are going to deal with RAW images or high end processing.
    What is your budget?

the amd chips, especially the new 4000 series (just coming out now) have both cpu power and very good integrated graphics - would easily cope with Adobe - even the video editing (which is actually more about cpu than gpu for the most intensive tasks such as rendering).

the main problem with cheaper laptops for this work is getting a quality colour-accurate screen - you just won't find that in a laptop under 700/750 euros.

glasso wrote: »
    the amd chips, especially the new 4000 series (just coming out now) have both cpu power and very good integrated graphics - would easily cope with Adobe - even the video editing (which is actually more about cpu than gpu for the most intensive tasks such as rendering).

the main problem with cheaper laptops for this work is getting a quality colour-accurate screen - you just won't find that in a laptop under 700/750 euros.
    Real world feedback from the 100 or so users I'm currently supporting would agree to differ to be honest.

Despite Adobe promising for the past couple of years to design the CC to work much better on standard spec, it hasn't happened.

Photoshop/Premiere are GPU intensive, can't escape that.

But regardless, it all comes down to budget and finding something that will be capable.

https://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/videoediting

except for DaVinci resolve cpu is more important than gpu
    CPU is the most important component for most video editing software

the intel u line of cpus in laptops for example cannot run for long anywhere near their highest stated speed - hence not great performance in laptops. the intel h chips were better but with something like the new amd 4000 mobile cpus 4.0ghz can be maintained consistently which makes for much lower video editing times and which previously was only possible with the highest spec desktop cpus (intel hk line)

https://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/videoediting

except for DaVinci resolve cpu is more important than gpu

the intel u line of cpus in laptops for example cannot run for long anywhere near their highest stated speed - hence not great performance in laptops. the intel h chips were better but with something like the new amd 4000 mobile cpus 4.0ghz can be maintained consistently which makes for much lower video editing times and which previously was only possible with the highest spec desktop cpus (intel hk line)

Gone a bit off topic.

For Photoshop/Lightroom and given the budget is probably less than 500, the options available to the OP are difficult.

My point stands that at that price point, aim for the best graphics card.

If you can find something with a decent graphics card within that budget, thats the quest

with all due respect you're not going to get any laptop with a discrete graphics card new for under / at 500 (only integrated graphics which is not a graphics card)

unless you go second-hand and I don't think that that is a consideration here.

with all due respect you're not going to get any laptop with a discrete graphics card new for under / at 500 (only integrated graphics which is not a graphics card)

The Medion Akoya P6645 is often available for ~500 euro (even up to last week) and that's just one example.:)

500 sterling is about 570 euro.....

the mx150 is fairly rubbish also tbh. the new /current amd 4000 chips integrated graphics are more powerful even....

that laptop also has no ssd :eek:

• Advertisement

500 sterling is about 570 euro.....

the mx150 is fairly rubbish also tbh. the new /current amd 4000 chips integrated graphics are more powerful even....

that laptop also has no ssd :eek:

As mentioned, it's regularly 500 euro. Look at the second post in my link and you'll see a version with an SSD that was on sale for £430 (<490 euro) a month ago and has been on sale at that price a few times in the past. I'm sure if I bothered I could find a similarly spec'd laptop on sale for 500 euro today too.

I previously did video editing on a laptop with the MX130 (which is worse) for about a year in the past and didn't find it bothersome. Besides, I wasn't suggesting if it was or wasn't a good graphics card, merely that your statement is incorrect.

The OP linked a second hand MacBook so that's the market I would consider

As mentioned, it's regularly 500 euro. Look at the second post in my link and you'll see a version with an SSD that was on sale for £430 (<490 euro) a month ago and has been on sale at that price a few times in the past. I'm sure if I bothered I could find a similarly spec'd laptop on sale for 500 euro today too.

I previously did video editing on a laptop with the MX130 (which is worse) for about a year in the past and didn't find it bothersome. Besides, I wasn't suggesting if it was or wasn't a good graphics card, merely that your statement is incorrect.

so he/she should wait around for some deal that may never reoccur for a a laptop without an ssd in it?

(which I'm sure if I looked into it has a poor quality screen that is not colour accurate for decent photo/video editing)

and refurbished is not the same as second-hand as you get some sort of warranty with refurbished, not so with second-hand

so he/she should wait around for some deal that may never reoccur for a a laptop without an ssd in it?

I'm not sure why you would suggest waiting around for the £500 deal without an SSD rather than the £430 deal with an SSD?

Regardless, like I said, you can easily find new, decently spec'd laptops with graphics cards for 500 euro that are available now, I merely linked to the first one I could find. For example, here is one with a GTX 1050.
    (which I'm sure if I looked into it has a poor quality screen that is not colour accurate for decent photo/video editing)

Again, not relevant to the fact that I was only pointing out that your statement was incorrect.
    and refurbished is not the same as second-hand as you get some sort of warranty with refurbished, not so with second-hand

The Medion I linked to was neither refurbished nor second-hand. I assume this was meant for bidiots.

with a spanish keyboard.

come on....

yes refurbished comment for the other poster

with a spanish keyboard.

come on....

Is that really your defence? You've gone from "it's impossible to find a laptop with a graphics card for under 500" to "oh but wait it has to be in stock too! And have great colour gamat! And have an SSD! And have a UK keybaord!"

I found each of those laptops within 30 seconds of looking, I'm sure I can find a laptop that meets this additional demand too but you'll just return with another demand, so I won't bother. You'll defend your original incorrect statement as much as you can.

you haven't provided any example of a suitable laptop for the OP's requirements actually on sale.

you just like arguing / posting irrelevant / out-of-date links

you haven't provided any example of a suitable laptop for the OP's requirements actually on sale.

you just like arguing / posting irrelevant / out-of-date links

I have demonstrated that your statement of "with all due respect you're not going to get any laptop with a discrete graphics card new for under / at 500" is incorrect. If I give another counter-example, you will reply with "you might be hit with customs for that" or "you need to be a student to get that deal" or something, so I won't bother. :pac:

I have demonstrated that your statement of "with all due respect you're not going to get any laptop with a discrete graphics card new for under / at 500" is incorrect. If I give another counter-example, you will reply with "you might be hit with customs for that" or "you need to be a student to get that deal" or something, so I won't bother. :pac:

so.... no suitable option - nice one.

• Advertisement

so.... no suitable option - nice one.

At what point did I once state that I was trying to find a suitable laptop for the OP? How many times must I state that I am only showing that the statement you made and which I originally quoted was incorrect?

MaiBenBen laptops. Not going to bother posting links. Lots of versions with dedicated graphics cards for under 500. Don't bother replying about the screen quality, customs etc. Only giving even more counter-examples to your incorrect statement.

Advertisement