Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why not eggs?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Thank you for the info on eggs.

I'm genuinely curious why you are so interested in vegans/veggies. Don't take this the wrong way (I'm not trying to attack the poster) but it honestly feels like you've made it your personal mission to post opposing views on every thread.

Honestly why do you care so much? You're a farmer right? So why come out of your way to constantly try and debate everyone on here? You don't see us going into every thread on the farming forum and pointing out why we think its wrong, sure we would be banned pretty quick if we did.

It's great that people can come here and ask questions but we don't need a pro farming representative in every thread. That's not what this forum is for. Debate is great but it's getting so tiresome. Maybe you could take a holiday and give us all a break for a week or 2.

Do yourself a favour & do what most other people on this forum have done.
    Use the ignore function.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Do yourself a favour & do what most other people on this forum have done.Use the ignore function.

Lol. Considering your own contributions to the farming forum that's quite a claim. Like this one

But hey thanks for the input ;)

gozunda wrote: »
    Lol. Considering your own contributions to the farming forum that's quite a claim. Like this one

But hey thanks for the input ;)

Reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Friend keeps rescue hens from Battery Farms. Their transformation is fantastic.

Happy to buy their eggs.

As someone else said here, it is down to each person to define their limits and to find what works for them.

I'm genuinely curious why you are so interested in vegans/veggies. Don't take this the wrong way (I'm not trying to attack the poster) ....

Btw just remembered you had already referred to this rather odd thing of querying other posters why they're engaging in the discussion. With even the he exact same cast of characters turned up to make the same remarks lol. Just means yet another thread gets dragged off topic at the end of the day.

Seriously though - genuinely curious why cover the same / similar issue about others simply engaging with the discussion such as animal farming and agriculture? You said back then you didn't want an echo chamber but here we are again - genuinely confused as why go over the same ground again and again. It comes across as being very antagonistic tbh. Really not sure the need for that tbh.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056423337&page=42

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

_Brian wrote: »

If people don’t want to eat the eggs from their chicken that’s their business, their choice should be respected. As should everyone’s choices.

Why keep chickens in the first place with that attitude? It's nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Why keep chickens in the first place with that attitude? It's nonsense.

No it’s not.

Rescue chickens deserve a decent chance of life, why not let them free in a back garden to enjoy themselves. Then it’s up to the owner if they wish to consume the eggs.

It’s just respecting people’s personal choices no matter which side of the Vegan / Farmer divide you are on.

No it’s not.

Rescue chickens deserve a decent chance of life, why not let them free in a back garden to enjoy themselves. Then it’s up to the owner if they wish to consume the eggs.

It’s just respecting people’s personal choices no matter which side of the Vegan / Farmer divide you are on.

This discussion is cracking me up :)

I'll get my coat!!

This discussion is cracking me up :)

I'll get my coat!!

I’m serious.
    I’ve been through battery houses with chickens stacked 11 high in wire cages and then taken out and destroyed after such a horrific life. Farmers who don’t have empathy for the animals they farm shouldn’t be farming animals.

As a farmer I can see that’s just wrong on every level. So, if there are people who will take them and give them a life for a few years roaming free then why not. At that stage it’s about respecting an animal rather than egg production.

To clarify, and I’ve said this over in the farming forum too. Caged or permanently indoor tearing of animals is wrong and we should be moving away from it. Chickens and pigs live a terribly un natural life with no access to out doors.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

How can the consumer know about the welfare standards behind the eggs that they buy?

I buy organic eggs only but don't know how the chickens are treated.

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    How can the consumer know about the welfare standards behind the eggs that they buy?

I would be much more concerned about free range than organic. Both if possible but free range has to be the minimum. Plenty of free range chicken units near us and it’s lovely to see the chickens out in pasture rooting and enjoying the sun.

We keep some ourselves and they are lovely creatures to see roaming free

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I would be much more concerned about free range than organic. Both if possible but free range has to be the minimum. Plenty of free range chicken units near us and it’s lovely to see the chickens out in pasture rooting and enjoying the sun.

We keep some ourselves and they are lovely creatures to see roaming free

Thanks. I'm always a bit wary of how free range they actually are.

I can't find eggs that are both organic and free range, just one or the other. I tend to go for organic because they taste better, hoping this means a healthier happier chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Thanks. I'm always a bit wary of how free range they actually are.

I can't find eggs that are both organic and free range, just one or the other. I tend to go for organic because they taste better, hoping this means a healthier happier chicken.
    They are not allowed to mark them both. Organic are also free range, they have to be.

As Iamtony said above - organic have to be free range

The Irish Organic Farmers and Growers Association (IOFGA) or the Organic Trust are the relevant body who sets the standards for organic production. The IOFGA stamp is used on egg boxes. 

The term 'organic' is defined as eggs freshly laid by hens with freedom to roam freely on organic pasture. So these hens are in effect what most people would call free range, with the added provision that they were reared on an organic farm.

Look up the Irish Organic Farmers and Growers Association (IOFGA) etc for further details.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Thank you for the info on eggs.

I'm genuinely curious why you are so interested in vegans/veggies. Don't take this the wrong way (I'm not trying to attack the poster) but it honestly feels like you've made it your personal mission to post opposing views on every thread.

Honestly why do you care so much? You're a farmer right? So why come out of your way to constantly try and debate everyone on here? You don't see us going into every thread on the farming forum and pointing out why we think its wrong, sure we would be banned pretty quick if we did.

It's great that people can come here and ask questions but we don't need a pro farming representative in every thread. That's not what this forum is for. Debate is great but it's getting so tiresome. Maybe you could take a holiday and give us all a break for a week or 2.

A right-winger arguing on a left-wing political board is the equivalent and would quickly lead to the right-winger being banned.

A right-winger arguing on a left-wing political board is the equivalent and would quickly lead to the right-winger being banned.

David - it would be certainly more correct to say that those attacking any other poster on an open discussion Board for contributing to discussion - then for sure they should be reported and banned if need be.

Its open to all of us - to report a post if we believe it to be outside of Boards ToU. But strangely some choose not to engage in discussion but to simply attack others.

That there are those who would attempt to shut down any discussion - Odd that no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I once saw a chicken eat an adult mouse and a nest of baby mice, it was rough :(

I've free range chickens outside my door. Feed them pellets and veggies. Not sure how organic the pellets are but it serves a purpose and I get fresh eggs every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I've free range chickens outside my door. Feed them pellets and veggies. Not sure how organic the pellets are but it serves a purpose and I get fresh eggs every day.

I'm selling up in Dublin and looking around Wexford. I plan on having 5 or 6 hens purely for eggs and giggles. They will be free range naturally. I may be back for advice!

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I'm selling up in Dublin and looking around Wexford. I plan on having 5 or 6 hens purely for eggs and giggles. They will be free range naturally. I may be back for advice!

Head over to the farming forum, and post your queries there, I think the majority of folks here would rather you had that conversation over there.
    I’d urge you to think of rescue chickens. They take a bit of tlc but you will enjoy them and they will provide eggs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Head over to the farming forum, and post your queries there, I think the majority of folks here would rather you had that conversation over there.
    I’d urge you to think of rescue chickens. They take a bit of tlc but you will enjoy them and they will provide eggs.

Thanks, it will be a few months yet, everything up the air, but that's a good idea on the rescue hens.

There's lots of good info "out there" but, just for clarity, I wasn't going to be asking on the forum itself, more likely via PM.

Advertisement