Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Practical Guide to Living in Canada

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jesseps

Not sure exactly yet was thinking Alberta or maybe somewhere in Ontario but I was looking for peoples opinion on where is best to go

It depends what you looking for. If you land up in Calgary or Toronto, both are equally expensive to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Collinsfella

jesseps wrote: »
    It depends what you looking for. If you land up in Calgary or Toronto, both are equally expensive to live in.

Well somewhere with decent transportation and job opportunities I hear Toronto is quite expensive and that's where most immigrants head so the job market is tougher so I think I'll avoid it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Well somewhere with decent transportation and job opportunities I hear Toronto is quite expensive and that's where most immigrants head so the job market is tougher so I think I'll avoid it

Honestly, the only person who can tell you where the best place to go is yourself. Most urban areas in Canada are pretty expensive, imo. Alberta is not in great shape at the moment due to the dropping price of oil. Really, just do your own research (and there's plenty of information on the internet) and decide for yourself, that's the best way.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jesseps

Overall job opportunities would be Toronto, but if you are looking for good public transportation and cost of living, your best bet would be Montreal. The only problem that I see for you living in Quebec is the language. You may be able to find a job in carpentry and not needing to speak French.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

astonaidan wrote: »
    So few questions, anyone know where I can get sausages and what would be the closest thing to Mi Wadi over here, everything seems to taste awful in comparison :(

Although I don't know what would be equivalent to Mi Wadi, there are plenty of Slavic-run delis that sell sausages. When I think of sausages, I think of kielbasa (better known, among Russian-speakers, as kolbasa [колбаса]) and a Russian deli based in Thornhill, a Toronto suburb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

jesseps wrote: »
    Overall job opportunities would be Toronto, but if you are looking for good public transportation and cost of living, your best bet would be Montreal. The only problem that I see for you living in Quebec is the language. You may be able to find a job in carpentry and not needing to speak French.

All the best.

There are smaller urban centres, among them Ottawa (despite its status as Canada's capital city), London, Halifax, St. John's and Charlottetown. And although many public sector jobs in the Ottawa area likely require a high level of French proficiency, plenty of private sector ones (at least on the Ontario side of the Ottawa River) don't seem to.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

Is there any good forum like boards.ie in Canada for advise about buying cars etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Where in canada are u going?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

Where in canada are u going?

Ottawa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Hey guys, not sure whether to start a new thread or just post it in here because other people may be in the same boat as me.

Anyway a few of us are thinking about emigrating later this year to bother Vancouver or Toronto or perhaps we'll split. We're all in our early twenties.

So first up is how long does the visa process take? Would I need to do it much before or could I decide late summer that I'd like to leave around November time.

Also how much would it take to get settled in to either of those cities? I've heard about 5-7000 Canadian. Would that be about right?

Which city would be best suited to people our age? Is Vancouver a bit of an older city?

Also I'll have a degree in accounting and finance and would ideally get a job in that sector. Would the degree be recognised or would I find it hard to get a job? And would Toronto be a better city for finance jobs?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

BOHtox wrote: »
    Hey guys, not sure whether to start a new thread or just post it in here because other people may be in the same boat as me.

Anyway a few of us are thinking about emigrating later this year to bother Vancouver or Toronto or perhaps we'll split. We're all in our early twenties.

So first up is how long does the visa process take? Would I need to do it much before or could I decide late summer that I'd like to leave around November time.

Also how much would it take to get settled in to either of those cities? I've heard about 5-7000 Canadian. Would that be about right?

Which city would be best suited to people our age? Is Vancouver a bit of an older city?

Also I'll have a degree in accounting and finance and would ideally get a job in that sector. Would the degree be recognised or would I find it hard to get a job? And would Toronto be a better city for finance jobs?

Thanks in advance

Apply now https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/iec.html

Once you get approval you have up to a year to go and only need 2500 $CAD.

It takes 8 weeks in total i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

jme2010 wrote: »
    Apply now https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/iec.html

Once you get approval you have up to a year to go and only need 2500 $CAD.

It takes 8 weeks in total i believe.

While you only need $2500, it's advisable to bring more, especially if you are heading to Toronto or Vancouver.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lonfire1

Hi there...
    Getting awful itchy feet here in Ireland, mad to give Toronto a shot, or even a big town on the outskirts. This move would mean up rooting my wife and young kids... probably a selfish thing but u think there has to be more out there. 🀔
    Has anyone here made this move?
    So I have a few questions.... hopefully someone won't mind answering them.
    Is the grass greener over there ? Better life ECT...
    We are both workers.. but where do you look for work? Should I look for a job before I make my mind up? I'm 38 maybe I will need a sponsor to get in.
    Is childcare expensive?
    Our eldest is nearly 7 and we would have to get him into a school.
    The reason for picking Toronto is probably because the weather is nicer there in the summer and it's not that far from home....
    If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
    R

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭WATPOAE

lonfire1 wrote: »
    Hi there...
    Getting awful itchy feet here in Ireland, mad to give Toronto a shot, or even a big town on the outskirts. This move would mean up rooting my wife and young kids... probably a selfish thing but u think there has to be more out there. ��
    Has anyone here made this move?
    So I have a few questions.... hopefully someone won't mind answering them.
    Is the grass greener over there ? Better life ECT...
    We are both workers.. but where do you look for work? Should I look for a job before I make my mind up? I'm 38 maybe I will need a sponsor to get in.
    Is childcare expensive?
    Our eldest is nearly 7 and we would have to get him into a school.
    The reason for picking Toronto is probably because the weather is nicer there in the summer and it's not that far from home....
    If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
    R

I lived in Toronto in the 90s and am back regularly for visits. Being a bit biased, its a great city with a lot to offer. However, before you attempt to make the move, just be aware that it is an expensive city to live in, esp when you are starting out so you will need savings to get by initially. Secondly, and not a huge point, don't forget they get fairly bad winters over there (this year being fairly bad) but summer weather is great - you know what you're getting at least! Property purchase prices are still very high and rental market has got more expensive as many first time buyers can't get onto the ladder so are renting longer. I suggest doing your homework on it before you go.

Another crucial thing to consider is work/career. What do you both work at? That could have a big influence on whether Toronto is a good choice for you based on available jobs in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Bit of a strange question here, but from time to time whenever i speak to an American I do have to talk slow and pronounce my words more clearly as i have sort of a thick Dublin accent :) Especially if im going on a rant, at the start of a conversation I would be considerate as they wouldnt understand if i spoke at my normal tempo but half way through conversations i get carried away & forget that im talking to a non-Irish person!

Would the Canadians be the same as the yanks were you would have to speak slow and that yes?

The farther east you go, the less you’ll have to tone it down. On the Southern Shore in Newfoundland, there are still people whose accent has an Irish bent although Americanization is changing that in the younger generations.

davwain wrote: »
    There are smaller urban centres, among them Ottawa (despite its status as Canada's capital city), London, Halifax, St. John's and Charlottetown. And although many public sector jobs in the Ottawa area likely require a high level of French proficiency, plenty of private sector ones (at least on the Ontario side of the Ottawa River) don't seem to.

Some people have to go to Toronto for work but to anybody else I would say consider the whole country before you settle anywhere. There’s a subcontinent twice the size of Europe waiting to be explored. If you have a family and kids with activities to get to, Toronto will be a challenge in terms of cost and time. Ottawa, for example, has much cheaper accommodation. Ditto Halifax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Elite Woad Raider

I've been in British Columbia almost 8 months now and I think it's an absolute dump. The locals think it's a very modern country but it isn't. I can't speak for the rest of Canada but Ireland and the UK are miles ahead.

The grocery prices here are almost triple! This is no joke! If you think you'll be making more here you won't be. Any extra income will be spent on groceries! A pack of bacon you find in Lidl for a euro fifty can be 5-6 euros in some shops here.

The women are also very ugly. I haven't seen a stunner since I have landed.

Save yourself the bother and stay home! I didn't realise how modern Ireland was until I got here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

I've been in British Columbia almost 8 months now and I think it's an absolute dump. The locals think it's a very modern country but it isn't. I can't speak for the rest of Canada but Ireland and the UK are miles ahead.

The grocery prices here are almost triple! This is no joke! If you think you'll be making more here you won't be. Any extra income will be spent on groceries! A pack of bacon you find in Lidl for a euro fifty can be 5-6 euros in some shops here.

Save yourself the bother and stay home! I didn't realise how modern Ireland was until I got here.

So which part of BC are you in? And is someone forcing you to stay there?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Ok thread closed temporarily due to the high level of trolling by some goons. It will be reopened once cleaned up. Please dont feed the trolls, just report posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

I've been in British Columbia almost 8 months now and I think it's an absolute dump.

You must he going around with your eyes closed. BC is famous for being one of the most beautiful places on earth. Either that or you’re just trolling.
    The locals think it's a very modern country but it isn't. I can't speak for the rest of Canada but Ireland and the UK are miles ahead.

Really? A country that survived the 2008 recession and stayed on its feet isn’t modern? Tell that to the thousands of Irish that were forced to emigrate after the Irish economy collapsed. Canada has been very good to the Irish if you are willing to work for it. Maybe you should try.
    The grocery prices here are almost triple! This is no joke!

Yes it is a joke

Ridiculous laughable comment, lots of beautiful women in Canada. Maybe you’re just saying that because you can’t get with any of them.
    Now you really must be trolling.

Looks like you have serious issues, maybe you’re not suited to travel.
    I’ve yet to meet an Irish person in Canada that thinks like you seem to do.

OP don’t believe a word of this bitter angry nonsense. Come over some time and see how you like it and decide then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Montreal. Guinness is about 9 everywhere. Dollar tip.

I've paid 13 quid in about 7 places for whiskey and coke

You only need to tip if you have a waiter for your table or you have a bar tab. If you just go to the bar yourself and pay every time, you won’t need to tip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Elite Woad Raider

el diablo wrote: »
    So which part of BC are you in? And is someone forcing you to stay there?

I'm in Victoria, BC.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Montreal. Guinness is about 9 everywhere. Dollar tip.

I've paid 13 quid in about 7 places for whiskey and coke
    Steep. I think in Toronto it was CAD$8 for single rum & coke, CAD$12 for double. However, it was CAD$13 for a "fishbowl" of dark rum, which is basically a treble shot of cheap dark rum and coke in a large jug (more jug than pint).

Check if your local does a whiskey fishbowl. I got told about the fishbowl by a waitress after I became a regular, and found some pubs did it, some didn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

Jamsiek wrote: »
    You only need to tip if you have a waiter for your table or you have a bar tab. If you just go to the bar yourself and pay every time, you won’t need to tip

Eh what? Bartenders must hate you lol. You're expected to give a dollar tip per drink. If you have a tab open pay 15% - 20% on the bill at the end of the night.

coinop wrote: »
    You're expected to give a dollar tip per drink.
    If you have a tab open pay 15% - 20% on the bill at the end of the night.
    These are two separate things.

Majority of pubs that I went to in Toronto, you are given a table/area, and get served there. When leaving, you pay the tab, plus tip.

If ordering from the bar, you don't need to tip. Have not seen Canadians tip when paying for one drink at the bar either. Only when paying for the above tab.

If at a nightclub, and I was getting served at the bar, I'd tip to ensure faster service next time. This guaranteed prompt service thereafter. It also showed me that tipping when getting singular drinks at the bar is not the done thing in Toronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭micayla

the_syco wrote: »
    If ordering from the bar, you don't need to tip. Have not seen Canadians tip when paying for one drink at the bar either. Only when paying for the above tab.

Having worked behind a bar and knowing a lot of bartenders, you definitely tip at the bar. Most places, your server doesn't make the drink, the bartender does. Yes they'll get tipped out by the servers but they also make tips from patrons sitting at the bar who they are also responsible for. It'd be considered pretty rude not to tip at the bar regardless of whether you have a tab or are paying for drinks individually (Pretty rare from every bar I've been in between BC & Alberta).

micayla wrote: »
    Having worked behind a bar and knowing a lot of bartenders, you definitely tip at the bar. Most places, your server doesn't make the drink, the bartender does. Yes they'll get tipped out by the servers but they also make tips from patrons sitting at the bar who they are also responsible for. It'd be considered pretty rude not to tip at the bar regardless of whether you have a tab or are paying for drinks individually (Pretty rare from every bar I've been in between BC & Alberta).
    In the pub, I only tipped the server who came to my table, as I wouldn't see who's making the drinks (I wouldn't be able to see the bar whilst sitting down in a lot of the places). If sitting at the bar, I tip the person who makes my dirnk.
    I'd be paying for drinks individually if buying from the bar in a nightclub, so would tip them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

If sitting at the bar, I tip the person who makes my dirnk.

:confused::confused:
    You are contradicting yourself. To anyone reading who is considering moving to Canada or the USA: you are 100% expected to leave at least a dollar tip for every drink you order at the bar. It doesn't matter if you go up to the bar 10 times in one night, you tip a dollar for each drink. Alternatively, if you have a tab open, tip 15-20% on the total at the end of the night.

:confused::confused:
    You are contradicting yourself. To anyone reading who is considering moving to Canada or the USA: you are 100% expected to leave at least a dollar tip for every drink you order at the bar. It doesn't matter if you go up to the bar 10 times in one night, you tip a dollar for each drink. Alternatively, if you have a tab open, tip 15-20% on the total at the end of the night.
    I can see how that can be seen that way, so I'll phrase it clearer;

If ordering at the bar of a nightclub, have seen most Canadians not tip; they get their change and walk away. I did tip, however, for better service. The fact that I got excellent service (bartender would skip others when I went to the bar) from tipping a loonie per drink told me that not many people tipped.

If ordering a drink at the bar of a pub whilst sitting at the bar, I tip the guy making my drink. But most often if drinking multiple drinks, I'd be assigned a tab, and pay the tip when I was leaving. The main exception to this happening was when getting served at the bar at the bowling alley (at Dufferin & Samor).

In most places, I've sat at a table that was served by a server who takes my order, and I tip them. Usually hung with Canadians, and they also only tipped the server, not the barman.

• Advertisement

I'm in Victoria, BC.

In what way is it backward? Victoria used to be known for honeymoons and retirement, the newly wed and the nearly dead, and I’ve always enjoyed my visits there. By Atlantic Canadian standards, it is expensive and may not be the friendliest place but has great restaurants, scenery and weather.

Advertisement