Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealz

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Aodhagan wrote: »
    The difference in taste of coke & the chocolate is because they are manufactured in the UK. UK Coke & Cadbury's chocolate are nowhere as nice as the Irish stuff.

Or maybe, you are just use to the taste of Irish ones and people in the UK would have the opposite few.

Either way Coke and Chocolate are full of sugar, which is basically a poison which is causing the obesity epidemic and killing people, read here:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/oh-sugar-fructose-the-sweet-white-poison-1.1523982

So better to cut them out of your diet anyway, you will live longer and be happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Love this shop. They have a sister shop in the Buttercrane Shopping Centre in Newry called 'Poundland'. I get Laundry gel and fabric softener for £1 and it's very nice. They're great for electronic gadgets and tablet covers. I always manage to spend at least £30 when I go there ;).

In the Dublin store I picked up Prue Leith's autobiography for €1.50 this week. Nice stocking filler!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

bk wrote: »
    Or maybe, you are just use to the taste of Irish ones and people in the UK would have the opposite few.

Either way Coke and Chocolate are full of sugar, which is basically a poison which is causing the obesity epidemic and killing people, read here:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/oh-sugar-fructose-the-sweet-white-poison-1.1523982

So better to cut them out of your diet anyway, you will live longer and be happier.

Doesn't tv contribute to the obesity epidemic equally if not more than chocolate, coke and sugar. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Hmmm, I shopped a few time in Dealz and although they do have a very wide range of items from food to bathroom items etc, you really do get what you pay for. The Coke and Chocolate tasted quite different from the branded stuff, which explains the strange writing and different volumes on the packaging. Foreign markets may not be to everyone's taste. Plus the shower gel and body sprays were just vile-smelling cheap tat, which I was surprised by as I always got decent bathroom items in Lidl or Aldi. But at the end of the day, the stuff there is only 1euro50cent so if you are on a tight budget it might come in handy but if you are looking for quality as well, this isnt really the place, its a glorified tatty pound shop..

I buy all my shower gels and body sprays there,they are the same brands as in the main well known supermarkets,they dont smell of rats piss or anything so im fine with them.

I think you maybe never tried them before and have a bit of an opinion about it before getting your nose in.

Dont be so snobbish,dont knock it till you try it is my approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Sugar isn't "basically a poison". Fat isn't a poison. Carbs aren't a poison.

Aside from a few classes of lipids which aren't great for you in any quantity, the simple fact of the matter is that any excess food/drink is a "poison" (in some sense of the word).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Aside from a few classes of lipids which aren't great for you in any quantity, the simple fact of the matter is that any excess food/drink is a "poison" (in some sense of the word).

Unfortunately it isn't just about excise. The problem is that sugar actually stops your brain from knowing that you are full, thus you over eat.
    Fructose causes obesity and metabolic syndrome by encouraging you to eat more and by clogging your cells’ energy generators, Johnson explains. “Our work also shows that sugar or fructose induces resistance to leptin,” which is the hormone the body uses to signal fullness to the brain. It also regulates how energetic we feel. Eating too much sugar, especially too quickly, eventually leads the brain to miss the “I’m full now” message.

The problem is all processed food is full of sugar, way more then people realise or is healthy.

Just as a simple example, tomato ketchup is 25% sugar!

A can of coke contains 10 sugar cubes!!

http://www.sugarstacks.com/

Non of this is healthy levels of sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Get out of here with this shit...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

No I'm not just used to the taste, one tastes better than the other. That's what the discussion was about, not what's good for your health. What's the point living life if you can't treat yourself every now and again and alway try to be the healthiest thing possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just as a simple example, tomato ketchup is 25% sugar!
    Some tomato puree with no added sugar is 18% sugar.
    A can of coke contains 10 sugar cubes!!
    There is nothing unusual about coke in the slightest. Coke has the same sugar levels as apple or orange juice, grape juice is about 16% vs cokes 10.5%. Avonmore Skimmed milk is 5.5% sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

rubadub wrote: »
    Some tomato puree with no added sugar is 18% sugar.

There is nothing unusual about coke in the slightest. Coke has the same sugar levels as apple or orange juice, grape juice is about 16% vs cokes 10.5%. Avonmore Skimmed milk is 5.5% sugar.

Why are two Moderators Discussing the merits of Sugar consumption on a Bargain alert thread about Dealz? There's off topic and then there's off topic. Dealz also sell a lot of weight watchers goods:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Burrow_Ursidae

Since Dealz moved into my town of Midleton two "convenience stores" have gone bust, and good riddance - the prices they used charge.

Dealz rules. i pop in nearly every day for a gander.

One deal which is particularly awesome is the 3 Scampi and 3 bacon fries for 1.49. Pubs charge around 1.50 for one bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Since Dealz moved into my town of Midleton two "convenience stores" have gone bust, and good riddance - the prices they used charge.

Dealz rules. i pop in nearly every day for a gander.

One deal which is particularly awesome is the 3 Scampi and 3 bacon fries for 1.49. Pubs charge around 1.50 for one bag.

I fooking love those

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

In the Dublin store I picked up Prue Leith's autobiography for €1.50 this week. Nice stocking filler!

The thing is you can actually get stocking filler material in dealz and i would say there is a better selection than the poundshops,i dont even bother with eurozone anymore or boots or whatever..

The selection of dvds and books is fantastic,got a few cd's,and books in my time,and i managed to pick up a dvd of aeon flux this week for a family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ah stop it will you. Sugar a poison? Too much sugar is bad for you, it's most certainly not a poison. What's causing the obesity epidemic is people eating too much and not exercising. Not the occasional Coke or bar of Dairymilk.

Got this in Dealz for 1.49, even comes with a DVD in the sleeve!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hacienda-How-Not-Run-Club/dp/184739177X

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 bigdone

just to let you know exact same christmas tree decorations (with names on them) Dealz 1.49 Easons 3.99

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Which dealz? I've heard of that popping up in Dealz stores now and again, but I've not been lucky enough to find it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭RahenyD5

Aodhagan wrote: »
    The difference in taste of coke & the chocolate is because they are manufactured in the UK. UK Coke & Cadbury's chocolate are nowhere as nice as the Irish stuff.

The "British" Cadbury chocolate is actually made in Poland, no longer in the UK. The Brits have been banging on about how the taste had changed and vowed to never buy Cadbury again. We're lucky to have ours still being made in Coolock for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Yeah because a single shop can buy in bulk like a chain store with hundreds, if not thousands of stores. I'm sure they also stock loads of Irish produced products in Dealz too.

And people wonder why the country is on its knees.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

RahenyD5 wrote: »
    The "British" Cadbury chocolate is actually made in Poland, no longer in the UK. The Brits have been banging on about how the taste had changed and vowed to never buy Cadbury again. We're lucky to have ours still being made in Coolock for now!

From memory it was the Frys plant (which they own) and not the main Bourneville factory that closed?

Coolock only makes certain bars, mainly more complicated ones and Rathmore in Kerry makes the flakes and twirls from memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Eclairs and Freddos are made in Poland now, the quality of Roses and Milk Tray has fallen massively in the past decade or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sallybongers

I love Dealz... Definitely great stuff there to fill many stockings.

Bought Palmolive there recently, as it's always made my hair look great previously... But Jesus I was so disappointed. My hair looked awful the few times I tried it from the bottle I bought in Dealz. I just ended up throwing it out.

Still think it's a great shop from certain things though.

I love Dealz... Definitely great stuff there to fill many stockings.

Bought Palmolive there recently, as it's always made my hair look great previously... But Jesus I was so disappointed. My hair looked awful the few times I tried it from the bottle I bought in Dealz. I just ended up throwing it out.

Still think it's a great shop from certain things though.

Ah Sally I'd say it wasn't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I doubt that's the fault of Dealz. Blame the Palmolive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Which one looked the biz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Hareton

MYOB wrote: »
    Its interesting that they've deviated from the "everything is exactly the same price" model here, which I believe they still haven't in the UK. May be an experiment with a smaller market to see if it works.

Initially it was a trial with the "out of price range stock" or "price trial stock" but it's out of its trial stage now. They really couldn't introduced in the uk without renaming all stores to dealz.

Anyway staying on topic incase you haven't noticed that higher priced stock gets reduced even further at the end of its cycle and a lot of it can be good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭hollands

I shop in Dealz sometimes so I'm no snob but just a cautionary note when comparing prices on some items. There was a tv programme about Poundland not so long ago where they compared items like Nutella and other items that were flashed 30% or 40% extra free. The Nutella was a smaller jar produced exclusively for Poundland,as were other items, so not comparable. They also have multi packs of things like crisps that have 5 in them rather then the usual 6.The programme also pointed out that branded goods were prominently displayed near the front of the shop but they had a lot of tatty stuff also.
    Still worth selective shopping though!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Ah stop it will you. Sugar a poison? Too much sugar is bad for you, it's most certainly not a poison. What's causing the obesity epidemic is people eating too much and not exercising. Not the occasional Coke or bar of Dairymilk.

is not "moderation" the way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

green123 wrote: »
    its not a glorified pound shop, it is a pound shop, called poundland in the uk, they just changed the name when they opened here.

http://www.poundland.co.uk/

what did you think they were ?

Amazing they sell the products in the UK for €1 and its €1.49 here, and we think the stuff is cheap! Current Rate, £1= €1.18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Companies tend to fix exchange rates so the current one isn't relevant,

There's a higher wage here, higher VAT, higher energy costs , overall the costs are higher here the may make slightly higher profit here but I wouldn't say much more

Advertisement