Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Boggles wrote: »
    The 2 main goals is to keep schools open and non Covid health care functioning.

But that is beside my point.

A compressive document on recommendations and predictions from public health to governance does not mention schools once. A place where a million humans congregate indoors.

That is by every single measurement bizarre in the extreme.

Sorry, do you mean this document? Schools are mentioned there. Look at pages 1 or 7 for example.

frank8211 wrote: »
    Covid-19: Expert calls for 'honesty' about decision to keep schools open

I've read this. Completely agree except in my opinion on L5 schools should be closed unconditionally.

But from the document from dept of health it seem closure of schools was not considered since this was initial requirement to take measures to let us to leave schools open. I may be wrong, but this is how i understood it. From this understanding i getting conclusion it is the only government responsible for not closing schools because they tasked HS to provide this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,509 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Thats me wrote: »
    Sorry, do you mean this document? Schools are mentioned there. Look at pages 1 or 7 for example.

Reiterates core principles, that's it.

Reiterates core principles, that's it.

What else you would expect?

What else you would expect?

What the lady is calling for in the link I posted.

Honesty and Transparency.

• Advertisement

What the lady is calling for in the link I posted.

Honesty and Transparency.

Government comes to Health authorities asking for what should we do in current situation to enable provision of child care and to ensure schools could remain open. They providing their recommendation on how to maintain schools open. If they would be tasked to investigate impact from the schools - i believe they would be able to provide information you are looking for ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Does the masks outdoors recommendation extend to school yards now does anyone know?

Government comes to Health authorities asking for what should we do in current situation to enable provision of child care and to ensure schools could remain open. They providing their recommendation on how to maintain schools open. If they would be tasked to investigate impact from the schools - i believe they would be able to provide information you are looking for ;)

Public Health information is not just for governance, there is a clue in the name. it should be unbiased, transparent and honest.

So far it hasn't been.

We are either all in this together or we aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Evidence mounting that Schools are not safe atm.

https://www.independentsage.org/an-urgent-plan-for-safer-schools/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

wadacrack wrote: »

Just remember we have the intelligent Covid on this side of the water. Knows to stop at the school door.

• Advertisement

1/10 for originality. Must try harder.

No, i remember it was already said before... But nobody before was registering on the forum just to say that :)

Surf Dude wrote: »
    You misunderstood me. Certainly don’t think you are my betters. Seems to me that teachers on here are a bunch of moaners.

It's like a conveyor belt in here

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭niamh247

wadacrack wrote: »

That's not evidence. Just a belief tailored to the needs of the government. Common sense tells that schools do not have any special magic bubble around them to prevent the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭niamh247

JDD wrote: »
    Don't forget, a third of the workforce are still working as normal - i.e. not furloughed and not working from home. So a huge chunk of parents are still working in factories, distribution centres, supermarkets, health care workers, teachers, call centre and bank branch workers etc etc,

I'm not saying that the majority of kids who test positive are catching it from their parents, but that has to count as a proportion of the infections.

Having said that, I absolutely agree that schools are not magical places where covid does not occur. I think if the HSE changed their policy to carry out these three steps:
    - Test the entire class when a positive case is identified;
    - Ensure that siblings are kept home the minute their brother and sister shows symptoms and/or their brother or sister is identified as a close contact, rather than waiting for the brother or sisters positive result; and
    - speeding up the time between a positive test and identifying close contacts;

Then I think we would have much less infections at the moment, and shops and restaurants and pubs would be able to open fully on the run up to Christmas.

I know that's lots of disruption for a school. You could have one positive case in 1st class, and all of a sudden 25 children from that class are sent home, along with every sibling of each of those 25 students. So you could have 50 children sent home for two days because of one positive test. If you have three positive cases in the school that have come in in different classes, well that would shut down most small schools entirely. I think this is why the HSE have been quite restrictive in how they have defined close contacts within schools.

On balance though, it seems like a better idea to widen the close contract criteria if we want to keep infections in the community to a minimum, and open the rest of the economy as much as possible.

I am the first to say that a child's education is hugely important, and more important than opening restaurants and pubs, even considering the damage to the economy and to people's livelihoods. But I think some school disruption is worth it if it makes a significant difference in stopping community spread. There is a balance to be struck here, and I think we have tilted a little too far in the direction of protecting education, to the detriment of every other part of our economy.

Why so much struggle and why being so much tense? Why can't teaching be done online??? I don't believe kids are learning any better in schools with all the masks and tension themselves. Why can't Ireland come off from it's archaic thinking and sticking to blind beliefs about schooling?

Many countries avoided this mess and tension by declaring schools to be onlie for the full academic year, even though their infection rates are lower than Ireland.

This clearly shows that learning is not the concern that is driving the schools to be open. It is about keeping the children away from home so that parents can work. Very contrived goals for a country which is considered somewhat developed.

Such weird goal is being pursued at the cost of forcing kids from hundreds of different households to sit in closed rooms for prolonged time - as if under an experiment. This beats all logic and common sense. Just as the reason they give - oh, data shows schools are not spreading. Data need not force you to lose all common sense.

niamh247 wrote: »
    Why so much struggle and why being so much tense? Why can't teaching be done online??? I don't believe kids are learning any better in schools with all the masks and tension themselves. Why can't Ireland come off from it's archaic thinking and sticking to blind beliefs about schooling?

Many countries avoided this mess and tension by declaring schools to be onlie for the full academic year, even though their infection rates are lower than Ireland.

This clearly shows that learning is not the concern that is driving the schools to be open. It is about keeping the children away from home so that parents can work. Very contrived goals for a country which is considered somewhat developed.

Such weird goal is being pursued at the cost of forcing kids from hundreds of different households to sit in closed rooms for prolonged time - as if under an experiment. This beats all logic and common sense. Just as the reason they give - oh, data shows schools are not spreading. Data need not force you to lose all common sense.

Ireland has the lowest infection rate in the entire EU currently, and while others are implementing tighter restrictions than we have, we are easing them. Must be doing something right

Ireland has the lowest infection rate in the entire EU currently, and while others are implementing tighter restrictions than we have, we are easing them. Must be doing something right

We are living on island. This is the only what we are doing right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

We are living on island. This is the only what we are doing right :)

There is another country on the island and they are not doing quite so well. So there must be something other than just being an island (although it is an advantage I agree).

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    There is another country on the island and they are not doing quite so well. So there must be something other than just being an island (although it is an advantage I agree).

Valid point, as always from you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

How is NI defining a close contact, especially in their schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Have you primary kids that were supposedly 'taught' on line March-June? It was a disaster even when teachers tried their best you cannot capture a young audience like that on-line. My eldest in 1st year now & the amount of stuff they've gone through already in the classroom & he's interested again. There is no way he'd have 'got it' on line.

I don't think anyone is saying schools have a bubble around them at all, its a def a risky environment which could be improved upon, but somehow staff are making it work & my kids are learning again which am so relieved about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm sure every self respecting religious cult leader agrees with you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Public health doctors to go on strike for three days in January https://jrnl.ie/5284241

Just wondering if we will see 3diff threads on this one now.

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Public health doctors to go on strike for three days in January https://jrnl.ie/5284241

F*ckin teachers

Why can't teaching be done online??? I don't believe kids are learning any better in schools with all the masks and tension themselves.

Can only speak for our place but the students delighted with themselves.

You should see them playing soccer at break time or chatting with their friends. Happy as pigs in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Smacruairi wrote: »

Like hell we will.

DSN wrote: »
    Have you primary kids that were supposedly 'taught' on line March-June? It was a disaster even when teachers tried their best you cannot capture a young audience like that on-line. My eldest in 1st year now & the amount of stuff they've gone through already in the classroom & he's interested again. There is no way he'd have 'got it' on line.

I don't think anyone is saying schools have a bubble around them at all, its a def a risky environment which could be improved upon, but somehow staff are making it work & my kids are learning again which am so relieved about.

Schools suddenly closed and with no notice. Though there are some teachers/schools who could have dug in a bit harder, I remember many parents being home and in shock too. It was very, very stressful financially and mentally for people and children too. There was a big focus at the start of people looking after themselves and their families and spending quality time together and enjoying the shockingly good weather we were having then.

This time, schools are prepared and ready to go online if needed. Teachers at our school have a plan in place and have trained themselves and the students on how to use the online software. If schools closed again, it would in no way compare to the first time in March.

Not all schools, Staff and students are coming through unscathed though. There been a lot of positive tests, stress and chaos in many schools. Many families with high risk family members are living with extreme stress. All depends on who you talk to. I agree with you that the risky environment can and should be improved upon.

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Schools suddenly closed and with no notice. Though there are some teachers/schools who could have dug in a bit harder, I remember many parents being home and in shock too. It was very, very stressful financially and mentally for people and children too. There was a big focus at the start of people looking after themselves and their families and spending quality time together and enjoying the shockingly good weather we were having then.

It was tried, it didn't work out well. If there had been more effort, maybe there wouldn't be so much resistance to it now. There was no official evaluation of how it went as I would imagine it would not look good on schools/teachers. Everyone gets a gold star and we move on, but lets not try it again seems to be the government position.
    Also, not everyone had time to enjoy the shockingly good weather as you put it. Many had to continue to work as normal, others had to increase hours and shifts (in hospitals for example).

It was tried, it didn't work out well. If there had been more effort, maybe there wouldn't be so much resistance to it now. There was no official evaluation of how it went as I would imagine it would not look good on schools/teachers. Everyone gets a gold star and we move on, but lets not try it again seems to be the government position.
    Also, not everyone had time to enjoy the shockingly good weather as you put it. Many had to continue to work as normal, others had to increase hours and shifts (in hospitals for example).

I know not everyone could enjoy the good weather, and I didn't say that everyone could. I said I remembered many parents were home.

I have family in the US and Canada. Their early school shutdown situations sounded very similar to ours. The difference being about 2 months later their DES's pulled their heads out of their ar$e's and implemented hybrid remote learning plans with IT/tech rollouts. They're not perfect but they're much better and families/teachers especially those at more high risk have more choice.

Stateofyou wrote: »
    I know not everyone could enjoy the good weather, and I didn't say that everyone could. I said I remembered many parents were home.

I have family in the US and Canada. Their early school shutdown situations sounded very similar to ours. The difference being about 2 months later their DES's pulled their heads out of their ar$e's and implemented hybrid remote learning plans with IT/tech rollouts. They're not perfect but they're much better and families/teachers especially those at more high risk have more choice.

I don't think many people here were looking for the DES to roll out an improved remote learning plan. It seems to me that those looking for remote learning are some of the more risk averse parents and some teachers. The schools in the US and Canada can decide whatever works best for them. I suspect it is not a rosy picture everywhere, with huge variability in quality, probably decent in well off schools and severely lacking in poorer areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I don't think many people here were looking for the DES to roll out an improved remote learning plan.

. I suspect it is not a rosy picture everywhere, with huge variability in quality, probably decent in well off schools and severely lacking in poorer areas.

Your 2 sentences here don't go together at all. People wanted a unified remote plan to prevent variability in quality. Sigh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement