Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

-The HSE still refuse to publish the figures in the schools we're looking for and in a transparent manner. Why?

BTW was "The overwhelming evidence from our public health experts" ever made publically available?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

meeeeh wrote: »
    You mean did they take a stand? Of course not, that could loose votes. They are just undermining decisions that were made and pretending they weren't briefed after leaving briefings early.

I'm not going to discuss the rest because if people can't count then it's complete waste of time.

So SF haven't advocated for closing schools? Good to know

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

New Princeton study indicates children are a factor in spreading the virus

Princeton study points children as superspreaders.

Another study hased on Hong Kong data (Jan-Apr) showing superspreaders were responsible for 80% cases: "Clustering and superspreading potential of SARS-CoV-2 infections in Hong Kong"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

This principal is pretty straight in what they think to Emma O''Kelly.

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1173968/?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭8k71ps

Thats me wrote: »
    BTW was "The overwhelming evidence from our public health experts" ever made publically available?

I believe it was a single study from when the schools closed in march that there were no infections proven in schools (before we had contact tracing or anything whatsoever). I'd love to see the minister attempting to say there aren't any proven cases now!

Alongside "international evidence" which at this point is code for "studies the government agrees with".

• Advertisement

So Sinn Féin have not said close schools, that's been established

What are FF and FG (The Mafia in charge) going to do to make schools safer for all staff, teachers and students?

Not say we will get more teachers, there is none. They could try the return home for Ireland needs you campaign. Worked well last time, Health Care staff was increased so enable us meet the demand due to Covid, Oh wait

I'd say it's far more likely the unions do sweet **** all, the department doesn't bother doing anything and gets away with it until people notice the cases don't seem to be going down as quickly as they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

another school in Portlaoise now. It goes on and on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

surely it makes sense now that were trying to get numbers down, leave schools shut for another 2 weeks , what harm will it do? remote teaching even for 3-4 weeks, sure like can we not just push the leaving cert back til late june and we will teach an extra fortnight into june, i definitley wouldnt mind that with the year thats in it.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    surely it makes sense now that were trying to get numbers down, leave schools shut for another 2 weeks , what harm will it do? remote teaching even for 3-4 weeks, sure like can we not just push the leaving cert back til late june and we will teach an extra fortnight into june, i definitley wouldnt mind that with the year thats in it.

I'm totally guessing but I'd say that's the plan if they don't get control of the cases quick enough or there's a further rise in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

8k71ps wrote: »
    I'm totally guessing but I'd say that's the plan if they don't get control of the cases quick enough or there's a further rise in Dublin

If you're talking about extending the mid-term break for another week or two, you wouldn't know in time whether level 5 is working. I'd imagine it would be the middle of next week before you'd have a good handle on that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I've just been through the whole Convid case in a school thing. In this example my daughter is in 1st year PP. I received a text message last Thursday evening confirming a case in my daughters class and to await further instructions. The class was to stay home on Friday. I was under the impression that teachers and students weren't considered close contacts within the classroom setting, despite not being comfortable with that. On Friday morning a HSE letter appeared on the schools's website reporting the case and said that all close contacts had been identified and informed. A sigh of relief for me, but still doubt. Two hours later I received an email from the HSE that said my daughter was a close contact and required a test and a list of instructions including staying out of school for 14 days.

Saturday afternoon, another text confirming a test at our local centre on Sunday. Test done and result back this morning (Monday). Negative, thankfully. So it was fairly quick in the scheme of things. But obviously my daughter still has to restrict her movements for another 9 days in accordance with public health. The mid term break takes up much of it. However if you take the mid term out of things thats two weeks out of school. If this happens again its another two weeks out of school and maybe more if she tests positive and passes it on to her parents. Even with a negative result, the two weeks out of school is disruptive with no plan in place from the school. While some people go on about education being important, rolling stay out of school policies once a confirmed case happens, is also disruptive if it happens every so often, not to mention the stress that it puts on a child and their household. I don't know how public health teams are approaching PP schools anymore. Some counties HSE letters name the school, some don't. Are kids in a class with a confirmed case considered close contacts. Back in August we were told they weren't. My particular household really doesn't want to go through the last 5 days again.

So I'm back to my mantra from August. One week in class and one week learning at home with homework thats checked on the week back in school. That guarantees two metre distancing and less kids in the school on any given week. All that said my daughter tested negative and I should be supportive of the school system, but I just think we dodged a bullet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I agree with you, that's a long 2 weeks to kill, especially if they are negative. This is why the unions were pushing for a remote platform and standardisation of approach, only for people to shout "bold bad unions bold".

The unions and indeed school staff and parents are sick of the good will of individual teachers papering over severe defincies in our system.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Smacruairi wrote: »
    I agree with you, that's a long 2 weeks to kill, especially if they are negative. This is why the unions were pushing for a remote platform and standardisation of approach, only for people to shout "bold bad unions bold".

The unions and indeed school staff and parents are sick of the good will of individual teachers papering over severe defincies in our system.

Agreed. I can only imagine the utter chaos that ensues if the policy of sending a class home for 14 days post positive case continues. My daughter was asked at the test centre, was it her first test.:eek: What does that tell you? So she goes back to school and in another few weeks, it's back to what she just went through, possibly. That's no good to her. While shes delighted with a negative result, she doesn't want a repeat. Nor do we after watching her worry despite us trying to play it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Agreed. I can only imagine the utter chaos that ensues if the policy of sending a class home for 14 days post positive case continues. My daughter was asked at the test centre, was it her first test.:eek: What does that tell you? So she goes back to school and in another few weeks, it's back to what she just went through, possibly. That's no good to her. While shes delighted with a negative result, she doesn't want a repeat. Nor do we after watching her worry despite us trying to play it down.

Same for us in school. You're very very hesitant to move on, but you can't skid the wheels for 2 weeks either. Then you post the homework home and say submit it online but that's not teaching, and nor should it be. And then Josepha Madigan has the gaul to say her side of things everything is fine? I support parents 1000% in their frustrations here and they are shared by staff and students alike. Unfortunately they won't listen to us without strike action so the parents council really need to be heard here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Same for us in school. You're very very hesitant to move on, but you can't skid the wheels for 2 weeks either. Then you post the homework home and say submit it online but that's not teaching, and nor should it be. And then Josepha Madigan has the gaul to say her side of things everything is fine? I support parents 1000% in their frustrations here and they are shared by staff and students alike. Unfortunately they won't listen to us without strike action so the parents council really need to be heard here.

What IS the National Parents Council doing? Anything? Parents Associations pay them each year for membership well this year we need some hard stances taken and advocacy - this is not the year for only workshops/and webinars. Anyone know if they're active for parents in all this? I haven't heard anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I've just been through the whole Convid case in a school thing. In this example my daughter is in 1st year PP. I received a text message last Thursday evening confirming a case in my daughters class and to await further instructions. The class was to stay home on Friday. I was under the impression that teachers and students weren't considered close contacts within the classroom setting, despite not being comfortable with that. On Friday morning a HSE letter appeared on the schools's website reporting the case and said that all close contacts had been identified and informed. A sigh of relief for me, but still doubt. Two hours later I received an email from the HSE that said my daughter was a close contact and required a test and a list of instructions including staying out of school for 14 days.

Saturday afternoon, another text confirming a test at our local centre on Sunday. Test done and result back this morning (Monday). Negative, thankfully. So it was fairly quick in the scheme of things. But obviously my daughter still has to restrict her movements for another 9 days in accordance with public health. The mid term break takes up much of it. However if you take the mid term out of things thats two weeks out of school. If this happens again its another two weeks out of school and maybe more if she tests positive and passes it on to her parents. Even with a negative result, the two weeks out of school is disruptive with no plan in place from the school. While some people go on about education being important, rolling stay out of school policies once a confirmed case happens, is also disruptive if it happens every so often, not to mention the stress that it puts on a child and their household. I don't know how public health teams are approaching PP schools anymore. Some counties HSE letters name the school, some don't. Are kids in a class with a confirmed case considered close contacts. Back in August we were told they weren't. My particular household really doesn't want to go through the last 5 days again.

So I'm back to my mantra from August. One week in class and one week learning at home with homework thats checked on the week back in school. That guarantees two metre distancing and less kids in the school on any given week. All that said my daughter tested negative and I should be supportive of the school system, but I just think we dodged a bullet.

So the school isn't supporting you like they should if your child has to miss school?

So the school isn't supporting you like they should if your child has to miss school?

Schools have been actively told by the department not to support children learning from home

• Registered Users Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So Sinn Féin have not said close schools, that's been established

What are FF and FG (The Mafia in charge) going to do to make schools safer for all staff, teachers and students?

Not say we will get more teachers, there is none. They could try the return home for Ireland needs you campaign. Worked well last time, Health Care staff was increased so enable us meet the demand due to Covid, Oh wait

So Sinn Fein are in favour of closing schools in the North but against it in the South?

Is that because

(1) they accept that the performance of the SF/DUP government has been worse than the FF/FG/Green government in controlling the virus?
    (2) they don’t know their arse from their elbow?
    (3) they are a lying bunch of hypocrites?
    (4) all of the above?

Answers on a postcard to West Belfast.

Hint: SFOS may have the answer.

You do know it is midterm so schools are out at the moment anyway?

The poster in question cannot say with any certainty that the school doesn't have a place. They can only say that with any degree of certainty next Monday if they haven't been made aware of said plan.

Schools have been actively told by the department not to support children learning from home

Just to correct you. In this instance the child would need to be supported by the school for a few days next week.

The no support thing comes into play when the parents and/or child decide not to attend for non-covid reasons. I'm aware of a child that didn't attend for 6 weeks due to being 'anxious' and the school received guidance fro the department that they were not to provide any work and/or support.

• Advertisement

What IS the National Parents Council doing? Anything? Parents Associations pay them each year for membership well this year we need some hard stances taken and advocacy - this is not the year for only workshops/and webinars. Anyone know if they're active for parents in all this? I haven't heard anything.

You can be sure that Aine Lynch will turn up in the media this week spouting some rubbish that is total fence sitting. She rarely actually has an opinion or indeed puts forward a solution.

Just to correct you. In this instance the child would need to be supported by the school for a few days next week.

The no support thing comes into play when the parents and/or child decide not to attend for non-covid reasons. I'm aware of a child that didn't attend for 6 weeks due to being 'anxious' and the school received guidance fro the department that they were not to provide any work and/or support.

Id assume this also applies if there's a covid case and parents pull the child out because they may believe the child was a close contact? (same class etc.)

Id assume this also applies if there's a covid case and parents pull the child out because they may believe the child was a close contact? (same class etc.)

if the child is considered a close contact and has to have day 0 and day 7 tests then they are to be supported. Close contact as decided by the HSE under the current setup

As you know if parents pull the child then no support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

What 'support' should they be expecting right now exactly? Given that it is midterm break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Zico

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Whats the difference between putting 30 people in a room in a school and in a factory or as pub?

Only thing I can think of is that the school room is a smaller area by a huge margin.

These are the best people.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

In my son's school (secondary) close contacts of case awaiting tests n restricting movements had to log into classes daily & do work going on in class & any scheduled tests last week so this isn't true in our case. Some teachers better than others at it but good support given all they have to contend with right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

So the Department received a letter in August about the hand sanitiser

https://www.westmeathindependent.ie/...ter-in-august/

DSN wrote: »
    In my son's school (secondary) close contacts of case awaiting tests n restricting movements had to log into classes daily & do work going on in class & any scheduled tests last week so this isn't true in our case. Some teachers better than others at it but good support given all they have to contend with right now.

To be fair my post was lacking in detail, of course we are all trying to help any student that is trying to work from home, we are using teams in my school. I was more referring to the likes of tarbert that was ordered to reopen and basically told that any student working from home who wasn't highlighted by the HSE was expressly not to receive any support from school. Disgraceful stuff really, we should be encouraging students to work from home if they can in my opinion.

Claire Byrne show talking about ventilation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Claire Byrne show talking about ventilation.

What they say? This a bone of contention in our school

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement