Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

OnePlus Nord

• 01-07-2020 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

Looks like oneplus are releasing a new budget-mid range phone details are rather thin so far bar they are holding a weekly comp for 100 invites to pre-order the phone.

Could be very interesting phone if the price is right as would be a direct competitor to the likes of xiaomi, the pixel.

https://www.techradar.com/in/news/oneplus-nord-price-confirmed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Looks very interesting! Some pre-order dates coming up:
    https://www.oneplus.com/ie/nord/pre-order

• Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭xtal191

Crazy pre ordering something without knowing confirmed specs/price etc

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭td2008

Is the size confirmed? Need to change my S8 but really would like something a similar size - S20 seems to be the only option at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Watching this one myself

They've kept it very quiet, no leaks or anything going yet ?

If the price and spec are good I could buying it

I'm over due a new phone now

Watching this one myself

They've kept it very quiet, no leaks or anything going yet ?

If the price and spec are good I could buying it

I'm over due a new phone now

A few details are known about it

https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_nord_5g-10289.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

xtal191 wrote: »

Thanks for that

Some specs are it are decent and some a bit of a step backwards like video recording at 30fps

But then again these are only rumours until the device is fully confirmed by OnePlus.

Then again if you get the usual like NFC, 90hz screen rate and so on for less than €300 (according to that website anyway) then that makes it a great choice for a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭td2008

Can pre-order today but think i'd rather wait for reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Then again if you get the usual like NFC, 90hz screen rate and so on for less than €300 (according to that website anyway) then that makes it a great choice for a phone.

Just spotted that at the end of the spec! They have a few links about it.

One Plus confirmed it will be under 500 quid. I reckon 450-499 is more realistic. Some alongside the budget iphone se price.

No chance it'll be under 300, my guess is around 450.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Final pre-orders today...anyone pre-order in the 1st or 2nd wave?!

Looks like a decent phone. Wonder if the camera will be any good...

Good interview with Carl by MKBHD yesterday too
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-VInHvlrZo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pre ordered there.

My 3T is looking worse for wear, but I can't justify nearly a grand on a new phone. Bit of a gamble, but if it's OnePlus it's going to be a half decent phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

If anyone missed out on the pre order and want a pre order voucher send me a PM...you can have it for what I paid (€20)

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Pacifico wrote: »
    If anyone missed out on the pre order and want a pre order voucher send me a PM...you can have it for what I paid (€20)

Do you mind me asking why you've changed your mind? In the market for a new phone myself and considering this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Starting at €399 that's some phone for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I'd nearly be tempted to sell my S10+ for 400 and get the Nord instead!

Cina wrote: »
    I'd nearly be tempted to sell my S10+ for 400 and get the Nord instead!

Why would you do that? Fair enough if you were pocketing some cash and getting the Nord

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Why would you do that? Fair enough if you were pocketing some cash and getting the Nord
    90Hz panel, much better UI, better, faster software updates. Snapdragon instead of Exynos (admittedly a less powerful Snapdragon, but still). 5G capability.

I also find the curved screen really annoying, I would've switched it for the 8 or 8 Pro already if they didn't have one, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,764 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's £349 for the 8GB/128GB variant on Amazon if you're a Prime Member.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭dmn22

Be interesting to see reviews for the OnePlus Buds they released today alongside the Nord. They look good on paper and are a reasonable price, although a bit ugly to look at.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,943 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

tempting to move from my poco F1 to this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I was waiting for the Nokia 8.3 5G to launch because that seems like a good phone but with it consistently only being teased without any real launch date the Nord might just be something for me.

I thought of OnePlus 8 but giving my restrictive travel I think a mid range might just be good enough.

dmn22 wrote: »
    Be interesting to see reviews for the OnePlus Buds they released today alongside the Nord. They look good on paper and are a reasonable price, although a bit ugly to look at.

https://www.engadget.com/oneplus-buds-hands-on-specs-price-availability-143007708.html

https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_buds_review-news-44366.php

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Been looking at a couple of the unboxing videos around. Looks like a good phone. Currently have a pocophone F1. Did pre-order give you a discount or something?

MarkR wrote: »
    Did pre-order give you a discount or something?
    Apparently?
    It's all a bit confusing tbh.

https://www.oneplus.com/ie/oneplus-nord

The price listed there is €409, but when you use the pre-order code, it's still €409. When you go to checkout, it shows the price as €430 with a €20 discount.

So I'm very confused. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, I need time to look properly. The €399 price applies to Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,764 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

seamus wrote: »
    Apparently?
    It's all a bit confusing tbh.

https://www.oneplus.com/ie/oneplus-nord

The price listed there is €409, but when you use the pre-order code, it's still €409. When you go to checkout, it shows the price as €430 with a €20 discount.

So I'm very confused. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, I need time to look properly. The €399 price applies to Germany.

Buy from Amazon for £349? Works out at €383.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08BPGX4B2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_z8YfFbCEZQCTJ

I guess the idea here is that if you pre-order now you'll get it by the end of the month and it won't be sold out.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I was going to say it was wildly optimistic, but I see they sold out 3 rounds of pre orders!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Keith186

I think the buds would be ok value with a OnePlus phone, but otherwise not worth it, basic enough features and quality. If other earbuds had AAC only they'd have longer battery life too as it's the lowest bit rate codec.
    Not in the market for a phone at the moment but it looks decent enough for €400.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Whats the “surprise gift” thing when ordering? Options are flagship camera, 90hz display etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

adox wrote: »
    Whats the “surprise gift” thing when ordering? Options are flagship camera, 90hz display etc.

Marketing gimmick, you get all of those as standard features.

Advertisement