Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nokia N900

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

just out of interest were did you get it for 350 euro?
    eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

damn dnt know whether to go with that myself or use o2 website saves me about 100 euro aghhh choices :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Has anyone else tried this charging accessory that came with their N900?
    [IMG][/img]picture.php?albumid=1101&pictureid=5630
    It allows you to use it as an adapter with an old standard Nokia charger. I thought it would be handy to carry around for charging away from home if I got caught short but mine appears to be faulty :(
    It appears to work momentarily and then stops with an error message on screen 'Not Charging'. The old charger definitely works on the old Nokia phone and the N900 charges without any bother with its own full charger, so it's definitely the adapter.
    I suppose it's hardly a big deal, but maybe I should return it to O2/Nokia for replacement anyway? If I ever mislaid the main charger it could be a life-saver.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Maybe the old nokia charger isn't outputting enough amps to charge the N900?

do ye think that ebay link sparks gave for a n900 would be alright? will there still be a manufactures warranty on it? to me it looks very genuine
    /crap it ended

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

do ye think that ebay link sparks gave for a n900 would be alright? will there still be a manufactures warranty on it? to me it looks very genuine
    /crap it ended
    well, if you look at the sellers other items he's selling fake n97's so i wouldn't put a lot of faith in him.

i don't think i'd buy something like a phone off ebay these days, there's so many fakes going around its just too much of a risk for only a small saving compared to the more reputable online stores imho i just wouldn't risk it personally.

and that coming from a guy who bought his current motor on ebay from the UK without ever seeing it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Cheers vibe, that's me now fully worried until the thing gets here!

Icysean, maybe hold off a few days just in case. When it gets here I'll post again (or if it's a scam, I'll post a heads-up).
    The seller hasn't anyone complaining this was a fake and they've sold fourteen of them, it's not coming out of china or hong kong, and it's paid for via paypal so allegedly I'm protected, so we'll see....

Still though, cheers for the few days of worrying about it vibe :D

ya i think they have stopped selling them anyway :( waiting for 02 to get stock is f***ing me up will i get it here no there blah blah god damn o2 hurry up :D

Maybe the old nokia charger isn't outputting enough amps to charge the N900?

I suppose that's a possibility, but I thought that's what we were supposed to use it for? When I say 'old', I mean a couple of years at the most. What else do you think would work with this yoke?

vibe666 wrote: »
    well, if you look at the sellers other items he's selling fake n97's so i wouldn't put a lot of faith in him.

i don't think i'd buy something like a phone off ebay these days, there's so many fakes going around its just too much of a risk for only a small saving compared to the more reputable online stores imho i just wouldn't risk it personally.

and that coming from a guy who bought his current motor on ebay from the UK without ever seeing it. :D

My feelings exactly, I'm afraid. The fact that he's already sold 14 so far means very little - they wouldn't have arrived with their new owners yet as they all went in the last couple of days. The price seems just too good to be true (sorry Sparks) and he had so many of them. I'd have more confidence in people selling just one - one could be obtained via an upgrade whilst 14 seems like an import job from God only knows where :( But hopefully we're all wrong and it's just a really good deal.

• Advertisement

ya i think they have stopped selling them anyway :( waiting for 02 to get stock is f***ing me up will i get it here no there blah blah god damn o2 hurry up :D

Keep checking the O2 site- don't rely on being informed by email. I signed up for that days before I ordered and if I'd waited on the email I'd have lost out - I NEVER got one and they were in stock and available for a few days before they ran out again. Maybe they are waiting on the discount coupon to expire :(

ya i was talking to some customer service guy by email and he said the 28th march til 30th march for new stock but ive been down that road before were it just keeps going to next week etc. he also never mentioned the coupon could you give me some details about it so i can ask?
    also how long did it take for you to get your n900 delivered by o2?

ya i was talking to some customer service guy by email and he said the 28th march til 30th march for new stock but ive been down that road before were it just keeps going to next week etc. he also never mentioned the coupon could you give me some details about it so i can ask?
    also how long did it take for you to get your n900 delivered by o2?

This is where I found the code information - it expires on March 31st. All I can say is it definitely worked for me and I saved about €47 - it cost me €422 for my N900 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Does anyone know if sky player will ever work on the n900 or if sky have any plans to release the sky mobile tv app that is on the iphone. The app costs €7 a month for sky sports and espn.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Hi all, searched high and low for this but can't find anything. I have the Nokia CK-7W car kit installed. I now have the N900 and was wondering if anyone knows where i can get a power adaptor to connect the CA-116 cable to the phone.
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Hi all, searched high and low for this but can't find anything. I have the Nokia CK-7W car kit installed. I now have the N900 and was wondering if anyone knows where i can get a power adaptor to connect the CA-116 cable to the phone.
    Thanks in advance.

im in the same both (though im still with the N97). these newer phones dont have any car cradle attachements. everything works through bluetooth these days. the CK-7W should have bluetooth in it ? my dad had his cradle in his jeep for ages and we didnt know there was bluetooth on it.

kind of an eye sore having the cradle there and never putting a phone in it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

i got one with my n900 in the box... i believe you can get them off nokia

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

Nephew wrote: »
    Does anyone know if sky player will ever work on the n900 or if sky have any plans to release the sky mobile tv app that is on the iphone. The app costs €7 a month for sky sports and espn.

I tried to install the silverlight equivalent but gave up after a compile or two..

...if someone could get it working it would mean that one could watch from the website!

Have a look: http://www.go-mono.com/moonlight/

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    i got one with my n900 in the box... i believe you can get them off nokia

I got one too but it was so I could use my N95 charger with the phone. The charger in the car was never compatible with the N95. Its the old style 'wide' connection with two pins at the end (if you know what I mean).

For the prior post, I use the phone in bluetooth mode in the car no problem (apart from no voice interaction which the N95 had - P 1.2?). The problem is charging the thing. Will need it when free ovi maps comes to the N900.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Domscard wrote: »
    Has anyone else tried this charging accessory that came with their N900?
    [IMG][/img]picture.php?albumid=1101&pictureid=5630

I use my one once or twice a week when I run out of charge at home (I keep my main charger in work, I seem to run out of charge more often there). I've used it with my old N95 charger and 6230i charger and they both charged it up fine (but the adaptor does seem to get fairly warm).

You can also charge it from the data cable via your PC if you're not running a whole bunch of apps and/or your Blueooth / WIFI on (otherwise the drain will be more than the USB cable can draw)

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Still though, cheers for the few days of worrying about it vibe :D
    yeah, sorry about that. been burnt a couple of times, so i usually go through their history with a fine toothcomb now.

tried chasing it up with ebay when i got a fake item (sandisk sd card) but they have no interest in it at all and tell you to sort it out with the seller.

if it's any consolation to you, it does look like he's selling real n97's alongside the fake ones so maybe he does sell both.

as for charging cables, i have the little dongle in my car to charge there, but you could just pick up a couple of microusb cables off ebay and leave them plugged into te PC's you normally use regularly and use them to charge it.

i've got one at work on my desk and it works fine. they're ctually starting to get a little more common now too which is something.

give it a wee while for every phone to move over to being charged via microusb and you won't be able to walk round an office without tripping over one. :)

come on o2 get yer s**t together or i gona go some place else :( bloody hate waiting for stock im giving them a week, these things must be selling like hotcakes why are they not more popular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Order placed :D

I'd a Vodafone upgrade to use and needed something to convince me to
    move on from the N95 8GB, here's hoping the N900 fits the bill. Am looking forward to seeing how the browser and divx features fare.

Order placed :D

I'd a Vodafone upgrade to use and needed something to convince me to
    move on from the N95 8GB, here's hoping the N900 fits the bill. Am looking forward to seeing how the browser and divx features fare.
    nice one.

i'm still impressed at how the phone has enough juice in it to play back bog standard 350mb divx hdtv rips with no recoding/transcoding (and enough room to put all your episodes./movies or whatever. :)

the browser is a big step up from the n97 one, but not as great as i thought it would it. it's by no means perfect, but it is the best one i've seen on phone so far and you have other options like firefox etc. as well if any of those takes your fancy instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

MICKEYG wrote: »
    I got one too but it was so I could use my N95 charger with the phone. The charger in the car was never compatible with the N95. Its the old style 'wide' connection with two pins at the end (if you know what I mean).

For the prior post, I use the phone in bluetooth mode in the car no problem (apart from no voice interaction which the N95 had - P 1.2?). The problem is charging the thing. Will need it when free ovi maps comes to the N900.
    sorry i meant you had the ca 116 small pin type cable which comes with the later ck7w kits, there is nothing availible for that connection you have and the old type ck7w doea not support the new type cable, so you would have to change the control box and cable. (old type kit came in blue and white box. new type in white and green.)

i brodit do a charging car mount for the n900 now if anyone is adamant on getting one with a built in charger rather than a cable.

they do a cig lighter one too.

512099.jpg

it's not the prettiest thing in the world, but at least you can open the keybpoard on it whilst it's in place.

i'd have been happier with the insides of the charger to be held round the back of it and just a low profile connector sticking out, but i guess beggars can't be choosers.

nokia have really gone downhill in the last few years when it comes to positioning of connectors for car charging. :(

bring back the pop port! :)

hey guys im back :) sick of fecking waiting for o2, have any of ye bought of fonezonline.com just wondering what kind of service they are just got a little bit worried when i saw one of their accounts banned on the fonezonile topic

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

One of the lads in work walked into an O2 shop and bought one on Friday with no issue...

were? damn well il bet you 50 euro tralee o2 has not even heard of da n9 wut ??? :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Thinking of upgrading to this from my N81 - what will be the biggest changes I'll notice?

Advertisement