Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords opinions

• 19-09-2019 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. I'm just trying to get people's opinions for a family member.

My sister, husband and young family are close to buying in swords. The house and estate looks nice. I was up there the weekend and swords looks to have a lot going for it, good buzz and lots of future plans.

In the past few weeks though as she's really being researching they have become worried over a lot of reports of anti social behavior. One very nasty story of teenage gangs attacking queiter teenagers on the main Street and just general air of menace about the place.

I understand a town of such size will always have an element of trouble makers but she has a young family to think about and is starting to think maybe a smaller queiter village might be a better choice.

Is anyone living or has lived in swords? Are the reports exaggerated or are concerns warranted?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

tastyt wrote: »
    Hey guys. I'm just trying to get people's opinions for a family member.

My sister, husband and young family are close to buying in swords. The house and estate looks nice. I was up there the weekend and swords looks to have a lot going for it, good buzz and lots of future plans.

In the past few weeks though as she's really being researching they have become worried over a lot of reports of anti social behavior. One very nasty story of teenage gangs attacking queiter teenagers on the main Street and just general air of menace about the place.

I understand a town of such size will always have an element of trouble makers but she has a young family to think about and is starting to think maybe a smaller queiter village might be a better choice.

Is anyone living or has lived in swords? Are the reports exaggerated or are concerns warranted?

Thanks in advance

What estate/area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭tastyt

Stheno wrote: »
    What estate/area?

Brackenstown is the area I think but moreso the town in general

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Natashaw88x

tastyt wrote: »
    Brackenstown is the area I think but moreso the town in general

We have just bought a house in millers glen. Due to move in in about 8 weeks. I’ve been living in Holywell for 3 years in swords, and malahide (which is more upmarket ) for 7 years before that. I actually still work in malahide also. We’re really happy with the new house, and find swords a great place in terms of shopping/nightlife/stuff to do with our daughter. Our daughter has just started primary school in st cronans and we are so happy with it so far. You are going to get anti social behaviour wherever you go and some estates are worse than others. In malahide/Portmarnock they also have the same issues with teens and robberies and it’s much more expensive to buy there. It’s everywhere. Overall I think swords is a nice place and we are very happy to settle here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I've lived in Swords almost my entire life. Like any other town there are estates that are not as good as others. There's places I'd avoid living in, brackenstown generally not one of them but there's a couple of areas I wouldn't buy in in brackenstown. Overall, Swords doesn't have any specific anti social behaviour over and above what one would expect from a similar size town.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Those Dublin live stories about swords / malahide / portmarnock are very sensationalist clickbaity. Rare events that are hyped up. Best advice is to get out and see an area at night /weekends etc and decide for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

My granny lived in Swords her whole life and she was grand.
    My 5 n 6 yr olds live in Ridgewood and go to school in holy family. They're still alive somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I'm from Swords, and I am looking to buy there soon. It is very safe and has a lovely settled, multi-cultural community. You actually see fewer groups of teens now then you did when I was a teenager growing up there in the 90s, in fact, it was rougher in the early 90s, especially around Main Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭peteb2

live in Holywell for 12 years since it was built Moved out last year. I would avoid there like the plague. Never developed the way it should have and now getting industrially built up outside the estate.

Advertisement