Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Veg*n

• 06-05-2014 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭

Often the best and cheapest solution to veg*n products is to make it yourself! Anything from food products to cleaning products, skin products, makeup. What kinds of products do you like to make yourself?

Some things that could solve your problem of availability or expense if you like a bit of make and do.........

Vegan Cheese

Moxarella

Vegan Tofu Feta

14 vegan cheeses that will make you forget about the real thing

Homemade nut butters

How to make homemade nut butters

Vegan Mayo

What I do.......
    Mix 50 ml of cold (!) soy milk, 100 ml of oil (I used sunflower oil) and about a tea spoon of lemon juice (or vinegar) up in a mixer until it becomes kind of thick. Then you can add all the spices you like such as lemon juice, salt, pepper, mustard, nutritional yeast, according to taste

Tofu-based vegan mayo

Bacon

Coconut Bacon

Tempeh Bacon

BBQ sauce

what I do......
    2 Tbsp agave syrup
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp smoked paprika
    1 tsp soy sauce
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    a dash of cayenne

Lip Scrub

Lush' lip scrubs are in the region of €6/7 so feck that, I make my own.

Mix brown sugar + melted but slightly cool coconut oil + flavouring if you like such as vanilla or peppermint essence + colouring if you like. Mix it all up, let it cool in the fridge.

Cleaning

For cleaning hobs/sinks/bathrooms......

Make a paste of sodium bicarbonate + water, place on worst areas, 'activate' it with some lemon juice or white vinegar.

Sodium bicarbonate is also good for cleaning silver if you're careful.

Some good stuff about homemade cleaning products here......http://vegankit.com/use#homemade-cleaning

Beauty

There's lots of great sites where you can source raw products for a bit of beauty DIY.

Garden of Wisdom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Honey

From 'what fat vegans eat' on fb.....

'Dandelion Syrup'

eDy8T5H.jpg

Collect 3 big hands full of dandelion blossoms (not the stems!), wash them, put them in a pot and add a litre of water. Let it sit for at least two hours, then heat it up until it boils and let it cool down again. Cover and let sit over night, then strain out the dandelions and add 1kg of sugar (you can use less if you use gelling sugar!) and the juice and peel of one organic lemon, and bring it to a boil while stirring a lot, let it boil for a minute or two and then turn the heat down to low and let it simmer for a few hours - Usually around 3, really depends though! To see if it's done, just remove a spoonful of the liquid and let it cool down to see if the consistency fits. Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

I have nothing to add just yet but I do want to say that those vegan cheese look CLASS! Can't wait till I get paid to make the roasted garlic and sundried tomato cheese :D

turnikett1 wrote: »
    I have nothing to add just yet but I do want to say that those vegan cheese look CLASS! Can't wait till I get paid to make the roasted garlic and sundried tomato cheese :D

I haven't tried them, don't have an oven to try some of those. But I'm dying to try the 'moxarella' when I can get hold of some tapioca starch, I think the asian shops should have that. It's supposed to melt really good so would be good for pizzas/lasagne etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

turnikett1 wrote: »

I'd love that one but I'd be skipping on the 1/2 cup rejuvelac, that sounds annoying to bother doing. Several days to start making my cheese, no thanks!

Fish

Tofu Fish Fillet

Fish and Chips

Fish and Chips and Tartar sauce

Tuna Salad

or simply...

blended rinsed & drained chickpeas, mayo and chopped up nori

Much nicer than buying the 'fake fish' type products

• Advertisement

More on Bacon. Bacon seems to be a meat-eaters favourite so here's some more bacon ideas.

Shiitake Bacon

http://vegancrunk.blogspot.nl/2009/05/holy-****ake.html (boards won't let me write 'shiitake' with one 'i' so type that in yourself so it links properly)

Seitan Bacon
    slice seitan thin
    dip in soy sauce
    coat with nutritional yeast
    pan fry
    tastes just like bacon

Cream

Coconut Whipped Cream (suggested to me by someone on here)

Sour Cream

Cashew Sour Cream

Tofu Sour Cream

More cheese

IFsOBf7.jpg

Credit to someone from 'what fat vegans eat' on fb (their pic).
    2 cups dairy-free milk,1/2 cup olive oil, 2 tsp apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp salt, 5tbsp nutritional/savory yeast, 1 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 3 tbsp agar powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp maple syrup, 1/2 tsp mild mustard. Put all the ingredients in a pan and heat on high until it thickens, then put in a dish and refrigerate till set!

or if you want to make smokey cheese....
    2 cups of rice milk, 1/2 cup of olive oil, 2 tsp apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp salt, 5 tbsp nutritional yeast 1 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 3 tbsp agar powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp maple syrup & 2 tsp liquid smoke. Put everything into one pot and blend until well mixed. Then heat the mixture up stirring until thick and smooth ( it took me about 13 mins) lightly grease a container of your choice, I used a loaf tin. Once mixture is nice and thick poor into your container and allow to cool. Once cool pop into your fridge until set. You can then turn it out and it will look exactly like a block of cheese. Grates really well & melts even better... We love it! Good luck

I'd say you could use smoked paprika instead of liquid smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Also, this site is great. The name is pretty self explanatory! Although you obviously dont need to be a stoner to enjoy these recipes :)

The Vegan Stoner

Yes, I have to put a pic up so you believe it!

TjRQGNY.jpg
    The egg white is silken tofu and a yolk made up of a base of instant mash with a bit of oil, marge, kala nemak, turmeric and egg replacer

Instead of 'egg replacer' you could also use a DIY egg replacer like chia seeds mixed with water (see egg benedict link).

Eggless Benedict

The Perfect Vegan Fried Egg

Vegan Avocado Devilled Eggs

Egg Salad (from the vegan stoner)

Tofu Scramble

Pancakes

Buckwheat pancakes

Puffy Pillow Pancakes

Savoury Chickpea Pancakes

Jared Leto style pancakes

Vegan Zombie omelette

Tofu Omelette

Vegan hacks: replacing eggs in cooking/baking

I thought this was pretty cool, how to salad dressings!

VfGQCUH.jpg

• Advertisement

Advertisement