Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavy rain 2nd-3rd October (heaviest in Munster)

• 02-10-2013 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭

mf5M2SR.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

Thanks for the heads up. It's nice and dry in Waterford at the minute. I wonder how much longer that will last?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heavens have opened here

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Had some very heavy rain around midnight with a few rumbles, and again at about 6.30am, giving around 8mm so far today. Combined with the 23mm yesterday, I've already recorded 3/4s of Septembers rainfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Would this be valid to more inland locations ??... Hope it will miss Dingle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Had some very heavy rain around midnight with a few rumbles, and again at about 6.30am, giving around 8mm so far today. Combined with the 23mm yesterday, I've already recorded 3/4s of Septembers rainfall.

How much for September?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

How much for September?

41.6mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

I haven't seen the rain develop the way I thought it would this morning and afternoon. Nothing major over the country at the moment. Met Eireann were quit specific with a 50-60mm warning for 24 hour period starting at 06:00 this morning for some areas in Munster. I can't see that somehow.

There looks to be something more significant just west of Iberia that is being pulled up toward us, but will be several hours before it arrives

Current NAE showing Leinster getting soaked! especially Wicklow Co

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yup , should be Leinster and munster being the heaviest . Would expect the odd clap of thunder in places too... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

here's Simon Keeling's view. He has the bad weather for tomorrow. It looks nasty

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

High pressure building after the rain. Our record for October is 25.2*C. Can it be beaten?

According to Radar that large mass of Heavy Rain is Leinster Bound!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

Yeah, if that keeps up the east coast is going to have an extremely disrupted evening rush hour. OK, that's that jinxed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yup , incomings...

1380006_734584029891314_1213951772_n.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats a big concern, its probably moving fast enough to avoid scenes such as October 2011 but the past few days have produced near saturated ground around Dublin so even 3 hours of 20-30mm/hr will be very problematic. IIRC the 2011 flood came about after 80mm over 4/5 hours....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Thats a big concern, its probably moving fast enough to avoid scenes such as October 2011 but the past few days have produced near saturated ground around Dublin so even 3 hours of 20-30mm/hr will be very problematic. IIRC the 2011 flood came about after 80mm over 4/5 hours....

Low tide in Dublin is around 5pm, so that should help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

pad199207 wrote: »
    According to Radar that large mass of Heavy Rain is Leinster Bound!
    The heavens are opening now here near Arklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Steady rain here in Waterford all morning/afternoon. Was very heavy for a while.

I can already see my Rain Shadow setting up nicely! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Nice sunny, breezy day up here in Ballina :D

• Advertisement

Steady rain here in Waterford all morning/afternoon. Was very heavy for a while.

We had about. 2hrs of a dry slot here but a lot of rain yesterday Total for today and yesterday alone is now 32.2mm.
    currently rain rate is 11.4m/hr in Arklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Radar echoes not quite as intense now but still an extremely wet evening to come for much of the east.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wicklow mountains sucking all the rain for me. Dry here since 11am.

...light rain now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I don't think its going to be as bad as the 50mm forecasted by ME?
    It seems to be losing its intensity, compare 1300 and 1500
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This from Garda Traffic in the last hour

The following Warning has been issued by Met Éireann at 14:00 hours Thursday, 03-Oct-2013

The focus for heavy rainfall leading to localised flooding this
    evening and early tonight is counties bordering the Irish Sea
    from Wexford to Louth.

There is a high risk of these counties accumulating 25 to
    40mm of rain, and a moderate risk of accumulating 40 to
    50mm of rain, during the 12 hour period from 3:00pm
    Thursday 3rd October 2013.

Valid from 15:00 hours Thu, 03-Oct-2013
    Valid until 03:00 hours Fri, 04-Oct-2013

Weather Warning
    For Dublin, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow and Meath
    Level: Orange

I'd call this a wet day,nothing special,but the total here near Arklow is near 40mm now for 2 days.
    The Avoca River is fast flowing and near its banks in the town at the moment.Its the highest I've seen it since the spring and its obviously not been high at all,all summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

It's more a constant light to medium rain that shows no signs of letting up, can't see any major flooding happening but it's a day not to be out in it

Rained constantly here today:) garden is loving it, so am I.

Went for a walk in a very heavy downpour last night, got thoroughly soaked, it was almost like walking in a warm shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yea heavier echoes died out before hitting the east but still moderate rain and building up.

Looked very threatening for a while but moderated as it hit the coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

only 28mm (so far) since Tuesday in my back yard - nothing exceptional.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement