Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRISH TEMPERATURE RECORDS, WTF?

• 08-07-2013 7:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

So with the weather that's in it at the moment I was wondering what the highest recorded temperature was in Ireland and found this http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-extremes.asp ...33.3°C, sounds about right but what caught my eye was highest temperatures recorded in some of the colder months of the year. 18.5°C in January and 18.1°C in december!!
    Is this possible, i must be reading something wrong. it just can't be right, can it? It didn't happen in my time anyway coz if it did i'd of grabbed a shotgun and headed for the hills!!...Does anyone know anything about these months, what year they were, were people running around screaming and shouting about the end, ect??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Didnt we get high teens in late november a year or two ago? I clearly remember it bring 17/18 degrees after the 14th November very recently. It was very balmy and close but only lasted a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i remember painting the house one november a few years back..it was mid-teens

i notice the highest ever temperature of 33 C was recorded in 1887 ...so much for global warming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A brief plume of North African air in late Autumn/early winter is not unheard of, just need the right mix of high and low pressure to drag it north.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Sure just before Christmas last I think temps hit 17c. Minot uncommon and temps nearing that level were reasonably common from 1998-2008

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

fryup wrote: »

i notice the highest ever temperature of 33 C was recorded in 1887 ...so much for global warming

Global warming isn't that simple. It causes more evaporation which lead to more clouds and rain - think of our last 6 summers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

High temps such as 16C + during winter months are usually quite localised and a result of fohn winds driving the temp higher than other areas.

I recorded 17.8C on 26th Jan 2003
    see page 3 Jan weather bulletin

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Mothman wrote: »
    High temps such as 16C + during winter months are usually quite localised and a result of fohn winds driving the temp higher than other areas.

I recorded 17.8C on 26th Jan 2003
    see page 3 Jan weather bulletin

Yeah I remmeber that warm January day here too. An exceptional day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

RobertKK wrote: »
    Yeah I remmeber that warm January day here too. An exceptional day.

I don't

I remember summer 1995 and crap last few summers but not January 26th 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Note the clue is in the name "Global" warming, not Dublin or bally-de-hob warming also like radios quoted as 100W with very small quotes pk is peek power not standard average rms power, if ran at peek power it would fry. In otherwords it's the annual rms global temperature not annual global peek temp.

Anyway not doing too bad during our current interglacial period.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

i notice the highest ever temperature of 33 C was recorded in 1887

I'd be sceptical of that, I mean did they even have any reliable way of measuring temps back then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Why is it that Cars temp gauges are reporting 38 and 39 degrees when its clearly not?

Loads of picks being sent in to various websites

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

Trilla wrote: »
    Why is it that Cars temp gauges are reporting 38 and 39 degrees when its clearly not?

The thermometers on cars are designed to measure the temperature of the road surface not the air, mainly to warn drivers of the potential for ice. In these conditions I would well believe the Tarmac is 38 degrees or higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Trilla wrote: »

Those car gauges are unscientific, they are in direct sunshine or are influenced by engine heat etc - theyre only really useful in cold ambient temps for alerting to potential ice etc

The weather stations use properly screened devices to give a correct ambient temp reading

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

its about 40c in my boxers at the minute sheeshh:-p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'd be sceptical of that, I mean did they even have any reliable way of measuring temps back then...

No to be fair, the method of observing temperature goes back in basic design to about 1820, the victorians were surprisingly advanced in that kind of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

I hate it when people say this, climate change is the more appropriate term!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eh2010

Do you reckon this is the hottest summer since 1995? I think it is. There have been summers with sunny spells , but weren't very hot overall, for example 1999, 2003, 2005,2006,2007,2009,2010 were like that. but a summer where there has been weeks of hot weather like now hasn't been seen since 1995. What do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I hate it when people say this, climate change is the more appropriate term!

Maybe, Climate Change Cycles?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

eh2010 wrote: »
    but a summer where there has been weeks of hot weather like now hasn't been seen since 1995. What do you reckon?

weeks? hardly weeks just this week (so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

weeks? hardly weeks just this week (so far)

Well in fairness Dublin has had an excellent June not exceptional temperatures but sustained dry period with good sunshine and now with this current spell which is into its 8th straight day I would say 2013 has definitely beaten 2003 and if the azores high comes back next week 2006 will be surpassed. However the only way 95 will be beaten is if August remains dry and warm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Lads, 8 days is not a summer. If we get 2 months if this, maybe.

Also if course they could measure temperature accurately using mercury in 1880.

Lads, 8 days is not a summer. If we get 2 months if this, maybe.

Also if course they could measure temperature accurately using mercury in 1880.

Late May to 3rd week of June were hot as well as the past week so thats more than 8 days

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Well in fairness Dublin has had an excellent June not exceptional temperatures but sustained dry period with good sunshine and now with this current spell which is into its 8th straight day I would say 2013 has definitely beaten 2003 and if the azores high comes back next week 2006 will be surpassed. However the only way 95 will be beaten is if August remains dry and warm.

Exactly we cant really Judge until the summer is over and look back on it.

That sort of answers my original question!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The temperature shown by cars is in direct sunlight whereas what's quoted in the official forecast is in the shade so they might not be too far off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

eh2010 wrote: »
    Late May to 3rd week of June were hot as well as the past week so thats more than 8 days

In the week 10th to 16th of June it was cold, windy and rainy... I have the photos of my holidays to prove that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Lads, 8 days is not a summer.
    Damn straight! In Ireland, that's two normal summers, back to back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I found June a very average month near Limerick City. 1 good week followed by 3 weeks of "ordinary" weather. July opened with 2-3 days of ordinary weather. Since then we are getting exceptional good weather. As EH 2010 said if the exceptional weather overrules the ordinary for the rest of the season we in for a classic like 1995.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Could see a record or two tumble on Saturday probably, with an east wind, the west midlands could see a 32C figure breached. Whether it happen or not.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I hear there's Spaniards booking package holidays to Ireland.

Advertisement