Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Almost finished Brighton Rock by Graham Greene on Audible - never heard of him before, somehow, but I'll probably try a couple more of his books.

Our Man in Havana is great too, but very different. Everything by him is wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Almost finished Brighton Rock by Graham Greene on Audible - never heard of him before, somehow, but I'll probably try a couple more of his books.

I enjoyed The Quiet American and on the back of that started Brighton Rock, I couldn't finish it.
    As mentioned Our Man in Havana is supposed to be great, thanks for reminding me on that one and I had always meant to read The Power and the Glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Travels With My Aunt, I enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne by Brian Moore ... read it years ago but just came across it on the shelf & decided it deserved another read.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Just finished Milkman by Anna Burns.

Really had to struggle to finish it. It was given to me by someone who had given up after 100 pages. I found the structure of it very intense but I actually enjoyed it between about pages 50 and 300. It was like trying to listen to conversations on 3 radios playing all at once, each sentence had to be considered did it refer to the plot line, the societal environment of the locality or the main characters thoughts on her own existence. Turning each page to see another two pages with barely a break for dialog or paragraphs added to the sense that an awful lot was going on.
    But, I found it meandered to an ending and I couldn't say I got anything from the part where her mother became the focus with her anxieties and worries. And she never challenged or explored the experience she observed with her maybe boyfriend or what it meant to their relationship retrospectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

A farewell to Arms , Ernest Hemingway , Definitely over- rated in my opinion , having read 4 of his so far ,I'm reserving my personal judgement on Hemingway unit I've read For whom the Bell tolls and Death in the afternoon ..I did enjoy Fiesta .

The Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allan Poe ... came across it while doing a bit of tidying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished John Connolly's The Wrath of Angels. Classic Connolly merging the supernatural into the story line alongside his main PI character Charlie Parker. Really enjoyed this one as I usually do with his books.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

eire4 wrote: »
    Finished John Connolly's The Wrath of Angels. Classic Connolly merging the supernatural into the story line alongside his main PI character Charlie Parker. Really enjoyed this one as I usually do with his books.

Cool. Just getting into this at present.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Cool. Just getting into this at present.

If you like John Connolly you will like this one for sure I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

eire4 wrote: »
    If you like John Connolly you will like this one for sure I would think.

Actually my first of his books. Plot looked unusual. Let's see how it goes for me.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Actually my first of his books. Plot looked unusual. Let's see how it goes for me.

OK well then I would say expect a real mixing of the supernatural with the storyline and if you like it I would go back and read his first book Every Dead Thing and go through his books from there as there is a gradual building up of the main character Charlie Parker and those around him and a kind of back storyline that carries forward through the series.

Unsheltered by Barbara Kingsolver

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Tombland - C.J. Sansom. Looking forward to reading it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Just finished Milkman by Anna Burns.

Really had to struggle to finish it. It was given to me by someone who had given up after 100 pages. I found the structure of it very intense but I actually enjoyed it between about pages 50 and 300. It was like trying to listen to conversations on 3 radios playing all at once, each sentence had to be considered did it refer to the plot line, the societal environment of the locality or the main characters thoughts on her own existence. Turning each page to see another two pages with barely a break for dialog or paragraphs added to the sense that an awful lot was going on.
    But, I found it meandered to an ending and I couldn't say I got anything from the part where her mother became the focus with her anxieties and worries. And she never challenged or explored the experience she observed with her maybe boyfriend or what it meant to their relationship retrospectively.

I have the audio book version of Milkman and what you're saying here comes through on it as well. It's very intense narration and difficult to listen to, and it's like there is no let up in it at any point.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

I really enjoyed The Human Factor, one of his spy ones. Very good read. Tried twice to read The Heart of the Matter but couldn't get through it, v bleak. As others have said, the Quiet American is also good although I preferred the Human Factor.

Currently reading Lolita on the strength of a recommendation on here. It's like nothing I've ever read before. It's beautifully written but it's engrossing, repulsive & hilarious all in one breath.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just finishing up 'Our Souls at Night' by Kent Haruf.
    A lot simpler than some of his other books but he somehow manages to convey so much with quite sparse writing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

miamee wrote: »
    Tombland - C.J. Sansom. Looking forward to reading it.

Since this is such a tome and not suited to carrying to and from work, I am also reading The Wall by John Lanchester - interesting so far.

A House in Norway by Vigdis Hjorth

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Anthony De Mello - Awareness

So far it is one of those books of someone telling you to pay close attention to what he is telling you to do, which is, to not pay close attention to what anyone tells you to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,374 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm on a break from Milkman for the same reasons noted by others already. I will go back to it eventually. In the meantime I re-read The Passage by Justin Cronin, then two books this week. Elevation by Stephen King, which was really more of a short story than anything. Felt like something he might have scribbled on the back of an envelope while waiting on a plane or something once. Definitely not worth the hardback price.

Followed that with A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan. Very standard "something going bump in the attic of a haunted house" potboilery stuff. You'll spot the "twist" about a quarter of the way in.

Started The Familiars by Stacey Halls yesterday. Too early to make much of a judgement yet.

I reckon then I might be ready to go back to Milkman after all that brain-fluff.

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The Last Armada/Hell or some worse place by Des Ekin. About the siege of Kinsale in 1601 and looks at the main players of the English, Irish and Spanish. About a third of the way through, ruddy good read.

Bellman & Black by Diane Setterfield
    Really loved The Thirteenth Tale so hope this maintains the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Pet Sematary by Stephen King

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Listening to Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy - am thinking though that it's a book I'd rather read than listen to.

Am reading A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James - about 100 pages in - it's not exactly addictive reading so far.

Into The Water - Paula Hawkins. I think this will be a quick, somewhat forgettable read. Nowhere near as good as The Girl on The Train though it did pick up pace a bit this morning. Maybe it'll get better, I'm finding all of the characters a bit confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sleazy Rider

Just about finished the Bobiverse trilogy by Dennis E Taylor. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

Snap by Belinda Bauer ... about 30% into it & its really starting to build now

Advertisement