Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how was your golfing year?

• 13-09-2018 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Played well in the winter but I haven't troubled the places all summer and the .1's have racked up to give me an extra shot for next year. I'm thinking of joining a different course next year to give myself a better chance of being involved in the big days or even winning a tournament. Does not winning anything or scoring well get you down after a while?

How was your year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

Winning would'nt get me down anyway - as there is always one player out their shooting the lights out, It's nice to get a win every now and again but once I am competitive off my handicap I am satisfied with that. 
    But . . I have been on a bad run of .1 backs where I am nearly going back a shot from the start of the year, when I hoped to lose 2 or even 3 ! 
    Something will click and the confidence will come flowing back, don't know if moving course will help, depends where you are a member and you just don't like the course? ? 
    Stick with it ! just a bad patch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

To be honest it's almost impossible to win anything once you have stopped improving.

Happens to everyone when time for practice dries up.

It's not as bad and in our course as 35 points will often get you a prize.

Never bothers me not winning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Too soon man, hope there's plenty more golf left to be played

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

A bit Meh really
    4.0 at 1 Jan currently at 4.1
    Been up to 4.8 and down to 3.7
    Positives - Had a couple of wins and my lowest ever competitive round (-2)
    Negatives - Way too many 0.1s and lost some distance off the tee
    Plenty to work on

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

started the year only getting back into it after a few years away. Got a 21 handicap even though I was way way worse. The main aim was to break 90 off the white tees.

I gradually built up some form over the year. Topped off just before a holiday away with three rounds 90, 93, and 90 and I managed a third place finish in one of the weekly comps. Thats enough for me to be happy and now my new swing changes are so bedded in they are causing problems but thats a good thing in some ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭kennethrhcp

like slave1 said... I hope there's more scoring golf left in the year. it's gotta be 1 of the shortest scoring seasons in a good few years.

I started the year off 11, was about to be playing bruen with a solid 5 handicapper… took a golf ball to the head & that ended golf for a bit & ruled me out of bruen. Just got back in time for Purcell & really enjoyed it.

end of June I was off 11even & by end of Aug I was off 9.2... very happy with that! had 2 .1s bck the last few weeks... out again Sat & hoping it doesn't see me creep back up to 10!!! if I could end this year off 9 I'd be very happy & hopefully make the bruen team next year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Bit of a strange year TBH. I've gone up 1.5 but I think I'm a better golfer this year and can play better golf than last year but the consistency isn't there.

I felt I wasn't making enough birdies last year from the positions I was in from the tee so made a conscious decision to be more aggressive on my wedge shots to take on more pins. It hasn't worked TBH and I'm scratching more holes than I was last year.

I play a lot of competitions (7 in the last 2 weeks) so my handicap can go up pretty quick if I'm not playing well which it has a few times this year but I've also been one short of the buffer more times than I can remember. Still enjoying it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Topsy turvy. Won a medal, won & placed my section a few times and cut 3 shots, but everything in-between was fairly inconsistent. Driving accuracy my biggest weakness but my short game has drastically improved around the greens

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Thoroughly mediocre is all I can say really.

Unless there is a turnaround before qualifying season ends it'll be my first season since getting my GUI that my handicap has gone up in a year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Good, dropped two playing shots but felt I should have dropped more. Might squeeze in some more cuts this year if I get back on form.

Next year I'm planning on playing a few more away games with some lower CSS, it was difficult to get a cut this year in my new club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Played in 7 comps and got 4 0.1's back.

Might request 5 shots increase from the handicap sec as I'm more of a 12 handicapper these days than a 7

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

[QUOTE=Rikand;108076064...Might request 5 shots increase from the handicap sec as I'm more of a 12 handicapper these days than a 7[/QUOTE]

200w.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

slave1 wrote: »
    200w.gif

I'm laying ground work for my 2022 Captains prize win!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Good year for me from a handicap perspective.
    Started at 6.6 and now at 5.3 with the lowest being 5.0 at one point.
    14 qualifying comps, cut in 5 of them and 7 0.1s and 2 buffers.
    Best position being 4th in a medal and best gross score of +3.
    Played a few interclub matches and had shockers to I'd like to improve on that for next year.

Still have a few weeks to try get a few more cuts but haven't played much in the last month so expect the handicap might creep back up towards 6.

Set the target of 4 for next year so I've a bit of work to do on the putting over winter. Feel my long game is as good as any but short game is way behind people I've played with off 3 or better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Played poorly all year. Ball striking as poor as it's ever been. Short game was poor for long stretches too. A lot of scores in the 20s. Beat my handicap 3 or 4 times in total but only just with 37s and 38s. Coming into form now that the season is over with a 40 last week and a 'what could have been' 36 today. Handicap is what its been at the start of the year. Ball striking still not good though. Need to put work in this winter with regards to my swing. What I have now will only get me so far. Could knock shots off with short game of course but satisfaction comes mostly from good crisp shots and there have been very few this year. Hanging on to to 12 but it doesnt feel very good, feels like a bad year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Very disappointing year. Began at my lowest hc ever and had ambitions of progressing further but my scoring over the majority of the summer was desperately poor.

Ballstriking has never been my strength but really felt like Id made a miniscule improvement from tee to green so blame rests squarely with my putting. Momentum keepers slipped by time and time again and frustration that followed led to brain farts that added up to 1 or 2 disasters per round.

Last month, I shot a 75 gross in a strokes comp with a 10 on the card. I was -3 after 10 holes in the Captains and in position to challenge but missed from 3 feet on 11 for par and went into a freefall to end up with a 73. Scratch cup and team performances have been very average despite managing to be lucky enough to play in several different events during the year so cuts have been few and far between.

Still hopeful for that one big round that will repair some of the damage done but time running out for that to happen. Besides my putting, Ive found myself plagued by an inability to hit a basic cut shot, especially with the driver so theres lots to work on. Just trying to find something concrete to take into next year at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

First year in about 7, that I basically took a year out from serious golf or taking my golf too serious is a way of putting it.

Ended up off 6 and that is my highest handicap in 3 years +.

Basically a major project in my off course life.

I still enjoyed getting out when I could but for me to play off 5 or less I need to put in serious work.
    I'd love to be a golfer who didn't have to work so hard at my game / but I'm not.

Would be interesting to see where my handicap ended up if I didn't stick at it , about 7/8 I guess.

Had the odd injury at the end of year and was just trying to do too much (on and off course) and swing the club the same way without good core work and practice.

over the year watched a few low golfers and seen how they had a far more rounded game and far more consistent swing .

So next winter I'll need to consider what type of golf game I want going forward.
    A golf game based on power and distance will only get you so far and for so long.

Still love the game .

Heading off to a society outing next week off 3.
    some lads off high 20s .

It is nice at times just to play the game for fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

First year back at golf in years, so to be given 14 was a bit of a challenge. 14 qualifying comps over the summer, 12 buffer zones, 2 .1s back. Must say it was strange, my worst score was 30/31 points, so it was mostly very consistent all summer. Disappointed not to go down, but hitting the ball ok.

Getting used to a new course possibly contributed to no h/c movement, not investing time into practice or equipment so I assume/hope with both something will happen on that front. It was an enjoyable year though, like the club so focus will move to next year now

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

Not a great year for me - relatively speaking.

Pretty much only started playing golf this year and was given an 18 handicap initially. Currently at 18.9 after 9 competitions and nine 0.1s. Was hoping to play to my handicap before the end of the year but that doesn't look like happening as the best score I've had so far was 30 points with a bad 25 yesterday.

Haven't given up hope of playing to it yet though, I know there is a big round in me if I can slow down a little and keep the concentration going for more than one or two shots in a row!!

More than likely moving clubs also next year so looking forward to that and improving once I have a new home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Mushy wrote: »
    First year back at golf in years, so to be given 14 was a bit of a challenge. 14 qualifying comps over the summer, 12 buffer zones, 2 .1s back. Must say it was strange, my worst score was 30/31 points, so it was mostly very consistent all summer. Disappointed not to go down, but hitting the ball ok.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you get a cut in November during the annual review. 12 buffers may warrant it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Mushy wrote: »

I wouldn’t be surprised if you get a cut in November during the annual review. 12 buffers may warrant it

Didn't know that was possible. Don't know how I'd feel about that, although tbh I'd be happy with the cut, but don't think I'd feel it's warranted (based on not technically beating the handicap).

like slave1 said... I hope there's more scoring golf left in the year. it's gotta be 1 of the shortest scoring seasons in a good few years.

I started the year off 11, was about to be playing bruen with a solid 5 handicapper… took a golf ball to the head & that ended golf for a bit & ruled me out of bruen. Just got back in time for Purcell & really enjoyed it.

end of June I was off 11even & by end of Aug I was off 9.2... very happy with that! had 2 .1s bck the last few weeks... out again Sat & hoping it doesn't see me creep back up to 10!!! if I could end this year off 9 I'd be very happy & hopefully make the bruen team next year

well lads... I wont be finishing the year off 9... or 10 :) avoided the .1 I was dreading by shooting 43points to get cut to 8even... ESR kicked in & i'm now off 7even :) delighted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Macker1

well lads... I wont be finishing the year off 9... or 10 avoided the .1 I was dreading by shooting 43points to get cut to 8even... ESR kicked in & i'm now off 7even delighted!!!

Nice cut..... Just before Captains outing in Sligo. Great playing to get 5 birds in round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Started the year on 18, quickly out the 19 in my first 12 comps. I was struggling healthwise getting used to my cancer meds.

Finally started to click a little....Had about 5 rounds in a row where I scored bang on the CSS, then finally got a cut. Been playing a yoyo between 18.5 and 18.8 for what seems an eternity. Some great recoveries to get into the buffer too

It will click proper soon, hope to get to 17 next year

Macker1 wrote: »
    Nice cut..... Just before Captains outing in Sligo. Great playing to get 5 birds in round.

I only played 1 event of the society this year (as a guest) & wont be up in Sligo :( have a fecking great time!!!

I reckon i'll become a member next year & try make a few events. seems like a great bunch... but shur I might have just got lucky with being paired with you & benny ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

how was my golfing year?
    well it started at 11.1.
    Saturday I teed up at 12.1 in the medal.... fully expecting another .1 but knowing I can't be allowed to have it as I'm maxed out for the year
    My game just hasn't been there this year except for a few rounds in the buffer. I've practiced very little this year and it showed. I got the putting yips and it was torture. my driver broke and new shaft is not what it should be.

but then I go and shoot my joint lowest round ever in my home club +10 with some silly and some stupid mistakes. far from playing my best, but I just ground it out. I got a bit lucky here and there, but horseshoing out of the hole 3 times on the front 9 after turning +4 and it could have been so different. Then on the back 9, 3 soft enough 3 putts (after I thought I had that under control) and a silly ball in the water just made it so frustrating. even more frustrating on Saturday night when I found out I was beaten to the medal on a countback :(

anyway, it was nice to get my first cut of the year, down to 11.5 now.

time for more before the year is out hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Mediocre. I have struggled with  my driver and 3 wood off the tee, think my best score around my home course was 34 points. A lot in the 28- 31 range so missing my buffer (cat 2) every round bar 1.

The only good rounds were in away courses in scratch cups (cut of 1.3 in one day) where i managed to get cut a few times due to higher CSS, back tees and tough conditions. Started at 5.4, now at 5.7 with 3 or 4 qualifying events left in the season at links venues. About £150 in vouchers from 3 events.

I've really enjoyed playing junior scratch cups with similar standard golfers at a quicker pace. Really helps me stay concentrated and there must be a competitive aspect at play because I play much better in them.

I joined a new course this year which is only my second year of playing. It has been a much better experience as it's much more of a members club and I've put my name forward for junior cup next year.

Other highlights were playing tremendous courses in RCD, Ballyliffin, Portstewart and Concra Wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Worst year in my golfing life. I left a club this year as it just wasn't worth it for the amount that I was playing. Last year I played ok but this year I have been rubbish. I have been hitting the ball very well but far too many poor shots and when I get within 50 yards I get worse.

I think I'll go for a lesson or two and see if I can find out why. If my game is as bad next year then maybe time to give it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I've had one of my most memorable years in golf, mainly due to off course activities.
    This time last year our owners decided they no longer had a viable business and decided to close at the end of the year. The course was put up for sale as agricultural land and it looked like our club was finished. A number of us believed that, with a different management structure, we could run a successful business. We called an EGM with a proposal for the club to lease the course and run all affairs ourselves. We received unanimous approval from the members for the proposal and on March 1st we took control of our own destiny. We had lost a number of members through the uncertainty of the situation and then a course which rarely, if ever, is closed was hit by a three week blanket of snow just as we were trying to build momentum and trust.
    Thankfully from there the situation improved rapidly. The members bought into the project generating a positive atmosphere and a real sense of unity. We have run the club in a very prudent manner and last week we passed our break even mark for the year meaning that any income we generate between now and next March will be profit. We now have a solid foundation to build on and the plan in the short to medium term is to buy the course. The course is now in excellent condition and receiving praise from members and visitors alike.
    There was certainly a detrimental effect on my golf for most of the year. I haven't practised at all this year and I played some shocking golf earlier in the year. I managed to self diagnose a number of flaws in my setup and swing and have gradually worked on them on the course. My golf has improved alongside the off course situation. I am now hitting the ball 25 to 30 yards further than previously and I am now back within shouting distance of Category 1.
    With a little work on my short game I'm hopeful of further improvement. More importantly, though, I know I will be able to enjoy my golf on a course that I hold dear for many years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Super. Well done and wish you guys continued success

Advertisement