Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 15 (Lyon - Grand Colombier, 174.5 km)

• 13-09-2020 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭

The hardest mountain stage yet, and some might say the hardest in the entire race. There's not much time left to pressure Roglic, the yellow jersey may be a lot closer to being decided after tomorrow.

Map

2d25f

adb3d

Timetable

Start: 12:25

Intermediate sprint: 14:17/14:21/14:26

Montée de la Selle de Fromentel: 15:36/15:45/15:54

Col de la Biche: 16:03/16:14/16:25

Finish at Col du Grand Colombier: 17:11/17:25/17:40

Climbs

The first 100k are almost completely flat, the intermediate sprint will, as a result, be hotly contested once again. If no break goes away before it, there's little time to develop a lead before the climbing starts.

The triptych of Jura climbs has, of course, already been previewed at the Tour de l'Ain last month. The Selle de Fromentel is brutally steep towards the end, and will greatly trim down the peloton.

SelleDeFromentelW.gif

The Col de la Biche is the least difficult climb of the three, it's the final 7.1k of the profile below.

BicheW.gif

After this, there's 1k of descent, 1k at 8% to Croix de Famban, and then the actual descent starts. 15 kilometers of flat separate it from the start of the final climb, it's a shame they're not doing the Anglefort side (this would have cut the flat by over half). As it is, the Grand Colombier is easily hard enough to open up big gaps, but not if it's raced as defensively as at the Tour de l'Ain. The climb gets easier towards the end before a steep finish.

GrandColombierSE.gif

General classification after Stage 14

Primoz Roglic
    Tadej Pogacar + 0.44
    Egan Bernal + 0.59
    Rigoberto Uran + 1.10
    Nairo Quintana + 1.12
    Miguel Ángel López + 1.31
    Adam Yates + 1.42
    Mikel Landa + 1.55
    Richie Porte + 2.06
    Enric Mas + 2.54

Points classification after Stage 14

Sam Bennett 262
    Peter Sagan 219
    Matteo Trentin 169
    Bryan Coquard 162
    Caleb Ewan 158

Mountains classification after Stage 14

Benoît Cosnefroy 36
    Marc Hirschi 31
    Nans Peters 31
    Toms Skujins 24
    Quentin Pacher 21

Young riders classification after Stage 14

Tadej Pogacar
    Egan Bernal + 0.15
    Enric Mas + 2.10
    Sergio Higuita + 25.28
    Valentin Madouas + 58.35

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Pinot & Rolland should be in the breakaway today as they looked to have taken it easy yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Thanks Inquitus for the excellent threads

Sam marking Sagan as he's trying to get away.

Ouch Higuita taken out by Jungles.

Banged his head there, they'll be a bit more careful checking him out I think after the other day.

Ouch Higuita taken out by Jungles.

At first glance I thought Higuita wasn't paying attention, but from the replay there wasn't a whole lot he could have done. Jungels swung right out in front of him.

• Advertisement

Chat going on there between Sam and Sagan "Why you not let me go Sam " :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bottom of the final climb
    https://www.belairgrandcolombier.com/

le grand colombier
    526194.JPG

final climb

526193.JPG

526192.JPG
    526191.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Never thought I'd be so excited by intermediate sprints.

Handy points for Sam there in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

2 points gained by Sam over Sagan to put him 45 ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Handy points for Sam there in the end.

He has Sagan in his pocket. He will beat him in any sprint they contest once hes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Me wonders if Ineos are regretting not bringing Geraint Thomas now.

He has Sagan in his pocket. He will beat him in any sprint they contest once hes there.

And Morkov is faster than Sagan too

True. Sagan hasnt the kick that Bennett and some of the other sprinters has right now. His form isn't the same like other years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

True. Sagan hasnt the kick that Bennett and some of the other sprinters has right now. His form isn't the same like other years.

Reminds me a bit of the Cav - Hushovd battles at this stage. One real fast man versus more of an all rounder with a sprint finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

happytramp wrote: »
    Never thought I'd be so excited by intermediate sprints.

The battle for the green jersey has really spiced up the stages. Yesterday was fascinating to see the battle to (a) drop Sam on the lumpy stuff and then (b) the attempt by Quickstep to get back on.

It adds a whole new dimension to the stages. Today without the battle, you'd have seen a procession for the first 100k until the climb when some of the climbers would try to get away. It was too quick today for true climbers to get in a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Morkov has been a dream team mate for Sam. Apart from his near perfect lead outs I'd love to see how many points he has taken off Sagan

Kelly is great when he gets talking isn't he.

Rob Hatch is a lot better than Carlton for getting Kelly to open up

The scenery is stunning, apart from the pink castle

• Advertisement

I love listening to his stories when he was racing. Super stuff and really knows his stuff. Great racing head by Sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

These climbs are absolutely brutal. 22% finish to the first. 1k into the first, Bennett gone. DQS have dropped 3 men with him, inc Alaphillipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,996 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

ELO's Jeff Lynne going well in the break

As good as the battle for the Green jersey has been, the KOM jersey competition has been non existent. No one bar Cosnefroy seems interested in it so far

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Chat going on there between Sam and Sagan "Why you not let me go Sam " :D

I don't know why (possibly overtired after getting kicked out of bed by a ninja kick to the back at 3 in the morning), but I went into full Soap opera mode here and I thought of Peter trying to convince Sam to give him a chance and thought of Sam muttering to him in a strong Carrig/Latino accent, "we could have been friends, but you done this to yourself". :pac:

As good as the battle for the Green jersey has been, the KOM jersey competition has been non existent. No one bar Cosnefroy seems interested in it so far

He will surely lose it today, hea dropped already. Maybe rolland has designs on it

Bernal down to 1 dom - kwiato - already!

Bernal has at least 2 domestiques in the yellow jersey group now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

retalivity wrote: »
    He will surely lose it today, hea dropped already. Maybe rolland has designs on it

I hope so, it would be nice to see some level of competition this week for the KOM. Rolland will move into 4th if he gets first on this climb.

However if Rogic wins the stage he will move close to the KOM leader so hopefully not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Got a laugh watching the Jumbo vista guy on the side of the road handing out the bottles.

He had to fire them out pronto given the whole team is Together leading the charge

Advertisement