Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much football does your OH watch?

• 18-11-2019 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

Back in Ireland 10 months after being away for several years. I'm working in a small accountancy office with about 15 staff and the majority of the conversation that the men have is about football or sport in general. First I thought ok it's summer and the All Ireland is on, then it was the Rugby World Cup but now it's the premiership and these fantasy football leagues. It seems they have nothing to talk about other than football.

Not only do they spend the week talking about football but they watch hours of football at the weekends. I never noticed this before I left Ireland (which was over 7 years ago) but when I was in NZ yes people liked rugby and it was the national sport etc etc but they didn't seem to be so preoccupied with rugby as people are here with football and not only that, they support teams English football teams which they have no affiliation with. It all seems totally bizarre.

For example, there is a woman in the office was telling me about one of her weekends recently where she has two young children, one of them still a baby and the other about 7. She was taking the two kids and her daughters friends out for the day. Her husband was nowhere to be seen because he was watching the match!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

People have their interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Mine has zero interest in football. Might follow a bit of rugby but never goes to matches. Probably half the reason I married him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Back in Ireland 10 months after being away for several years. I'm working in a small accountancy office with about 15 staff and the majority of the conversation that the men have is about football or sport in general. First I thought ok it's summer and the All Ireland is on, then it was the Rugby World Cup but now it's the premiership and these fantasy football leagues. It seems they have nothing to talk about other than football.

Not only do they spend the week talking about football but they watch hours of football at the weekends. I never noticed this before I left Ireland (which was over 7 years ago) but when I was in NZ yes people liked rugby and it was the national sport etc etc but they didn't seem to be so preoccupied with rugby as people are here with football and not only that, they support teams English football teams which they have no affiliation with. It all seems totally bizarre.

For example, there is a woman in the office was telling me about one of her weekends recently where she has two young children, one of them still a baby and the other about 7. She was taking the two kids and her daughters friends out for the day. Her husband was nowhere to be seen because he was watching the match!
    In other words you don't like your coworkers.

Anyway not that much. Premier League is watched (one teams matches) and F1. Maybe an odd rugby match. Brexit coverage would be watched more lately and both Andrew Marr and Sophie Ridge are watched. We don't watch soaps or stuff like Love Island. I have absolutely no issue with sport, I would find it painful if Coronation Street or Big Brother would be on in the background.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm female and during the rugby world cup my entire weekend was arranged to allow me watch as many matches as possible.

Monday chat was how it went at the weekend with the rugby.

Heineken cup is on now so that's also most of the weekend

Some groups are just like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Mine has zero interest in football. Might follow a bit of rugby but never goes to matches. Probably half the reason I married him :)

My husband doesn't know anything about sport and wouldn't know one end of a games console from the other. He is the dream!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Male POV here. I watch a fair bit of rugby. Ireland matches are usually non negotiable for me.... I don't like to miss them.
    Soccer I can take or leave.

Now.... how much "celebrity" nonsense is consumed? By women? There is a whole industry now of "celebrities" and I use that term incredibly loosely who's every movement is documented, and this seems to be driven by women interested in it.

So I suppose there is a bit of balance on both sides!!

I think the OP is a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Sport would be fairly standard workplace smalltalk wouldn't it? Nice and uncontentious and accessible.

My OH follows the premier league and I dunno, other soccer things, not a rugby guy. I've surprised myself by how much I've enjoyed going to the pub for matches the odd time, though I'd be more watching the people watching it than anything else.

We do sometimes have a rather one sided conversation about points on aggregate, relegation, transfer windows etc that's mostly just me listening and nodding but sure look, I have harmless interests that make me happy and that he politely feigns interest in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

None, thank god, as I find it deadeningly boring. He is really into rugby though but I enjoy rugby so it's all good!

We do have a playstation..which I bought after we moved in together and I use almost exclusively (I bought him some games but he doesn't play nearly as much as I do!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think the OP is a man.

Thank you for misgendering me.

• Advertisement

Thank you for misgendering me.

Yeah right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

Oh god I remember an ex of mine used to stare over my head transfixed at TVs in pubs, at any sport, but soccer was his main favourite. And betting on it too on his phone. It really consumed him more than he realised. So boring and a bit toxic when the gambling habits are thrown in the mix.

Now it's a deal breaker for me that I'll never date another guy who's mad about sports. Casual fans fine but any rabid supporters or someone who would prioritise watching match over most other things-- absolutely not.

lozenges wrote: »
    None, thank god, as I find it deadeningly boring. He is really into rugby though but I enjoy rugby so it's all good!

We do have a playstation..which I bought after we moved in together and I use almost exclusively (I bought him some games but he doesn't play nearly as much as I do!)

I love how everyone on here is so pretentious as if rugby is any better than football other than it’s played by allegedly new monied posh people.

GRACKEA wrote: »
    Oh god I remember an ex of mine used to stare over my head at TVs in pubs, at any sport, but soccer was his main favourite. And betting on it too on his phone. It really consumed him more than he realised. So boring and a bit toxic when the gambling habits are thrown in the mix.

Now it's a deal breaker for me that I'll never date another guy who's mad about sports. Casual fans fine but any rabid supporters or someone who would prioritise watching match over most other things-- absolutely not.

I know, prioritising games over other things is a real insight to the type of person you’re dealing with. I understand if it’s a World Cup final and people are meeting up as a social event but this idea of no I can’t go out because Liverpool are playing Huddersfield on Sunday afternoon is something I can’t get my head around. Why would you devote so much time and energy into watching people kick a ball around in Huddersfield on a Sunday afternoon when you’ve never been to either Liverpool or Huddersfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

He’d watch one to two matches a week. Currently watching the ireland match. Doesn’t bother me. It used to be more before kids.

In terms of sports conversation at work. It’s handy small talk. There are a few lads who I would discuss it with I met them in the canteen even though I don’t have much time to watch any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I know, prioritising games over other things is a real insight to the type of person you’re dealing with. I understand if it’s a World Cup final and people are meeting up as a social event but this idea of no I can’t go out because Liverpool are playing Huddersfield on Sunday afternoon is something I can’t get my head around. Why would you devote so much time and energy into watching people kick a ball around in Huddersfield on a Sunday afternoon when you’ve never been to either Liverpool or Huddersfield.

What hobbies do you have out of interest?

I love how everyone on here is so pretentious as if rugby is any better than football other than it’s played by allegedly new monied posh people.

I don't think it's better. I enjoy watching rugby. I don't enjoy watching football. Each to their own.

Perhaps if you don't want people's opinions you shouldn't have started the thread.

bee06 wrote: »
    What hobbies do you have out of interest?

I like to go balls deep into a good book. What difference does it make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

The only sport worth watching imo is gymnastics. Beautiful and exciting!

I don't think it's better. I enjoy watching rugby. I don't enjoy watching football. Each to their own.

Perhaps if you don't want people's opinions you shouldn't have started the thread.

I’d hazard a guess you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference if it wasn’t for the fact that they use their hands in rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Same here.

I’d hazard a guess you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference if it wasn’t for the fact that they use their hands in rugby.

Wait, which one is rugby again? Maybe its actually Gaelic football I like. Or hurling. Gosh, I just can't be sure!

Idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Golf, now that can go fcuk itself

I bet you get a kick out of starting arguments in threads.

I find arguments about which sport is better tedious. I also have no issues if someone considers a match unmissable. Family time can be scheduled around a match. Kids can be kicked out of house for an hour or two to pick weeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ah now, reverse snobbery is it? can you not see that rugby is a more inclusive sport than soccer. All the soccer players are almost the same build, with the odd outlier. On a rugby pitch, there's a mix of shapes and sizes. A spot for the tall lanky people for catching, the short stumpy people to get under legs, the heavy people to block and the gazelles to run the ball in. Both the speedy and the non-speedy have a role to play. I played it a bit myself, both contact and the tag version, it's good craic.

Watching sport, meh... if it results in more interest, encouraging people to keep healthy, fit mentally and physically by playing, all great. If it encourages them to go down paddy power and spend 8 hours drinking in a pub, I'm less enthused.

Moderation in all things.

pwurple wrote: »
    Ah now, reverse snobbery is it? can you not see that rugby is a more inclusive sport than soccer. All the soccer players are almost the same build, with the odd outlier. On a rugby pitch, there's a mix of shapes and sizes. A spot for the tall lanky people for catching, the short stumpy people to get under legs, the heavy people to block and the gazelles to run the ball in. Both the speedy and the non-speedy have a role to play. I played it a bit myself, both contact and the tag version, it's good craic.

I fail to see how a sport that is played overwhelmingly in private fee paying schools is considered more inclusive.

pwurple wrote: »

Sorry but this is a complete bs. You either like certain sport or you don't but rugby is no more inclusive than soccer or any other ball sport. No ball sport suited me (I'm rubbish at all of them) so I could claim that running is more inclusive because everyone can run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We watch a lot of sport in our house. GAA (both Hurling & Football) and Rugby in particular. Tour de France, Sailing, Olympics etc. Kids play GAA. Husband involved in another sport.

Soccer is probably down the list. The International games Hubby and the Kids would watch. Don't follow any particular Club. Might put on later stages of the Champions League.

Don't prioritize or plan around any of them bar an All-Ireland final maybe.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Sorry but this is a complete bs. You either like certain sport or you don't but rugby is no more inclusive than soccer or any other ball sport. No ball sport suited me (I'm rubbish at all of them) so I could claim that running is more inclusive because everyone can run.

Exactly. Rugby is the exact opposite of inclusive it's the most exclusive sport out of all of them.

• Advertisement

Exactly. Rugby is the exact opposite of inclusive it's the most exclusive sport out of all of them.

No it's not. Ball sports in general are fairly cheap and inclusive (if you are not complete klutz). My son does rugby and it's no more exclusive or harder to participate in it than GAA. I grew up among kids training skiing for example and the sports where you need expensive equipment are a lot more exclusive.

As for watching I find Giro, Tour or Vuelta great background to cooking and housework.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement