Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

• 19-09-2019 5:34pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Another 10,000 posts down, so another new thread is demanded!

It does what it says on the tin: a place for you to recommend Netflix films and shows.

While chat is allowed and encouraged, not all discussions suit this thread! Often it's better to head over to the TV forum for in-depth chat about individual shows, or start a new thread in this very film forum if you think there's more to discuss about any given movie.

This is for Netflix recommendations only - if you'd like to recommend films from other streaming services, this thread will sort you out.

For the record, here's thread 2.0.

Recommend away :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

alan%20irish.jpg

"What the hell is Netflix?"

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Wah gwan blud.

Enjoying Top Boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just finished Yellowstone and wondering what to watch next.

From previous thread, think I'll give Top Boy and Unbelievable a run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Highly recommend Unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Any decent film recommendations ? mulling between The fury of a patient man or I am Mother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Between Two Ferns was disappointing! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Highly recommend Unbelievable!

Really impressed with it. Everytime I expected something to go down the route of predictability it went another way.

Merritt Wever was brilliant, didn't cop she was the doctor from The Walking Dead until near the end. She absolutely immersed herself in the role. It really felt like I was watching a detective trained to the hilt in how she dealt with victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Disenchantment: Season 1, Part 2
    Matt Groening’s adult animated comedy fantasy is set in the crumbling medieval kingdom of Dreamland, where we follow the misadventures of hard-drinking young Princess Bean, her feisty elf companion, Elfo, and her personal demon, Luci. Along the way, th

Inside Bill’s Brain: Decoding Bill Gates
    This three-part documentary offers an unprecedented peek inside the mind of the celebrated tech visionary, business leader, and philanthropist

Between Two Ferns: The Movie
    Zach Galifianakis hits the road to do celebrity interviews to restore his reputation in this feature-length spin-off from his surreal talk show.

Criminal: Season 1
    Netflix’s groundbreaking procedural crime drama comprises 12 stories set in 4 different countries: France, Spain, Germany and the UK. It takes place exclusively within the confines of a police interview suite. This stripped down, cat-and-mouse drama focuses on the intense mental conflict between detectives and suspects.

In the UK, the regular cast includes Katherine Kelly, Lee Ingleby, Nicholas Pinnock, Mark Stanley, Rochenda Sandall and Shubham Saraf, with guest stars for the episodes including David Tennant, Hayley Atwell, Youssef Kerkour, and Clare-Hope A****ey.

Fastest Car season 2

The Hockey Girls season 1
    The passionate members of a girls' roller hockey team chase down victories in the rink while striving to make time for school, family and romance

The Liquidator
    A detective recruits a criminal psychologist to help her track down a serial killer targeting people acquitted of famous crimes.

added today

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

The Blackcoat's Daughter (AKA February) - 6.5/10

An intriguing trailer for a new film 'Gretel & Hansel' was released recently so I thought I'd check out one of Director Oz Perkins previous films. The Blackcoat's Daughter was his debut feature and it shows that he is one to keep an eye on.

The film serves as an antidote to the modern, ‘cattle prod’ horror films that seem to think that jump scares are the only way to engage an audience. This is a very quiet film where the plot slowly unfolds as the story as progresses. I found the first 40 minutes or so a little too slow for my liking and wondered if this film was worth sticking with. I'm glad I did. The second half has some very tense scenes with superb acting, clever misdirection and an even smarter twist.

This is one of those films that stays with you and gives you plenty to think about. It’s great to finally get genuinely creepy films that resonate with, and challenge audiences. Oz Perkin’s is a name that deserves to be among the Ari Aster’s, Jordan Peele’s and Robert Eggers’ of modern horror cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

Watched part one of the Bill Gates documentary and it didn't disappoint. The main focus of part one was on the Gates foundation and the work it is doing. Some interesting interviews with Bill Gates his wife and his family.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wanted to like Disenchantment, but the first half of season 1 stalled more often than it soared. Like a lot of Netflix comedies, the running length was a big problem, episodes dawdling towards 30 minutes when they had no need to.

Still, I liked enough of the characters - except Elfo, who is the worst - to go back, and hopefully those growing pains were just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭This is it

If anyone else loved the interview scenes from Line of Duty, try Criminal UK. One episode in and I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

Since it's a new thread, thanks to all those who recommended Mindhunter.
    Another American series on serial killers wouldn't have been top of my viewing list but this was good.
    Of the actors you'd have to say that chain smoking Bill Tench,played by Holt McCanally was the star, and he has strong Irish roots as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

peteeeed wrote: »

In the UK, the regular cast includes Katherine Kelly, Lee Ingleby, Nicholas Pinnock, Mark Stanley, Rochenda Sandall and Shubham Saraf, with guest stars for the episodes including David Tennant, Hayley Atwell, Youssef Kerkour, and Clare-Hope A****ey.

Watch your language!

Was curious what her name was and as expected it's Clare-Hope Ash!tey.

Is there any kind of order for watch Criminal or all standalone? Can spoiler any spoilery answers I suppose

And as it is a new thread, thanks again to peteeeed for the regular updates

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Any decent film recommendations ? mulling between The fury of a patient man or I am Mother
    I have seen I am mother it is decent, looks excellent as well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

This is it wrote: »
    If anyone else loved the interview scenes from Line of Duty, try Criminal UK. One episode in and I really enjoyed it.

First episode was great. Didn't like the 2nd one so much so turned it off will probably go back to it

BONDING season 1
    A New York City grad student moonlighting as a dominatrix enlists her gay BFF from high school to be her assistant

Added today

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

BONDING season 1
    A New York City grad student moonlighting as a dominatrix enlists her gay BFF from high school to be her assistant
    That's a re-ad.. It was removed yesterday and added again today for some odd reason!

ixoy wrote: »
    That's a re-ad.. It was removed yesterday and added again today for some odd reason!

Yep
    Ant man has been removed, not sure if that will be back with Disney plus incoming

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Bit annoyed that I liked it, but only 3 episodes long. There is Criminal -Spain, Germany and France. The very same set and routine but I really wanted to see some character development in the UK one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭This is it

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Bit annoyed that I liked it, but only 3 episodes long. There is Criminal -Spain, Germany and France. The very same set and routine but I really wanted to see some character development in the UK one.

Yeah, I didn't realise what was happening myself to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Yeah, I didn't realise what was happening myself to be honest.

Yeah, I thought it ended quite abruptly, I had to rewind and watch the last couple of minutes. Suddenly it's onto a new scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Just finished watching unbelievable. I thought it was shït. 4/10 at best. Acting was questionable apart from a few pivotal scenes. The pace was far far too slow. So much filler. This should have been a 2hr movie at most and they dragged it out to nearly 6 hours. Story is good but there way it was portrayed was mindnumbingly boring. So many unecessary tangents for no apparent reason. Why did we need to know about her partners nickname or whatever than nonsense about the singing was about.

Under the Eiffel Tower
    An American man in the midst of a mid-life crisis travels to the French countryside to find a new lease on life.

added today

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

BONDING season 1

addersneer.jpg

A philosophical work then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Criminal - not sure If I like it or not - I wasn't expecting the pseudo behind the scenes drama with the different cops. I was under the impression that It was all filmed in one room, but its actually 2 rooms and a corridor!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭tigger123

Watched the first few episodes of Bonding and really enjoyed it. The trailer / ad isnt great, but its laugh out loud funny in places.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Not really a recommendation but I watched Collateral over the last 2 nights. It's a 4 part police drama that was on BBC maybe last year? It's got a decent cast including John Simm, Hayley Squires and Carey Mulligan and it was written by 2 time oscar nominee David Hare (The Hours, The Reader)
    There's just way too much going on for 4 episodes. It felt like an entire series of Silent Witness cases all rolled into one case and the result is a really great cast being completely wasted on paper thin characters and plot.

• Advertisement

Coming in October
    October 1st
    Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid (2004)
    Carmen San Diego: Season 2
    Colossal (2016)
    Dolphin Kick (2019)
    Nikki Glaser: Bangin’
    Robocar Poll (Season 4)
    The Big Bang Theory (Season 12)
    The Neverending Story (1984)
    October 4th
    Big Mouth: Season 3
    Raising Dion: Season 1
    Rotten: Season 2
    Super Monsters: Season 3
    Super Monsters: Vida’s First Halloween (2019)
    October 8th
    The Spooky Tale of Captain Underpants Hack-a-Ween (2019)
    Rhythm + Flow: Season 1
    The Forest of Love (2019)
    The Hook Up Plan: Season 2

Living With Yourself: Season 1
    Seventeen (2019)
    Tell Me Who I Am (2019)
    The House of Flowers: Season 2
    The Laundromat (2019)

October 24th
    Daybreak: Season 1
    Rattlesnake (2019)
    The Kominsky Method: Season 2