Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weather Warning Discussion/Debate Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Amprodude wrote: »
    the ESB saying thousands of homes are without power etc. If they made some bit of an effort to get off their butts and go around and clear trees that are near powerlines so many people wouldn't be without power anytime there are storms. common sense approach.

We don't know what caused the power outages it might not have been trees but cables coming down due to high winds, cables touching cables, a transformer blows. wildlife, lightening, plain old equipment failure due to age and even the type of cable used can all cause power outages. I would suggest if you have any qualifications in working with high voltage cables etc or a tree surgeon maybe you could offer your services and help those trying to get power back to these area's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

gozunda wrote: »
    And the 30,000 who lost power due to same "bit of wind" etc ? . Lol ...

Trees should be cut down that are near lines. It’s getting stupid now at this stage.
    Oh the humanity!!!

Actually its not as simple as that. Trees and hedges also provide shelter for ESB poles. Exposed poles often come down in bad storms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

spookwoman wrote: »
    the ESB saying thousands of homes are without power etc. If they made some bit of an effort to get off their butts and go around and clear trees that are near powerlines so many people wouldn't be without power anytime there are storms. common sense approach.

We don't know what caused the power outages it might not have been trees but cables coming down due to high winds, cables touching cables, a transformer blows. wildlife, lightening, plain old equipment failure due to age and even the type of cable used can all cause power outages. I would suggest if you have any qualifications in working with high voltage cables etc or a tree surgeon maybe you could offer your services and help those trying to get power back to these area's

Correct, the faults in Galway during Ali were much often more labour intensive involving tree cutting, tree moving, new poles, new transformers, new cablingand reconnections. Not to mention traffic control and safety procedures. Very messy with several roles involved and lots of incidents to prioritize.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I guess it's all relative. Ali left 186,000 people without power and many were without power for days because so many trees had fallen on the lines. I did not see one tree down yesterday on my 30 min drive to work but during Ali I saw about 12 full trees down on the same route not including heavy branches. It was carnage.

Because no trees fell in your corner of the forest then there were no trees down else where? Lol. For a sycamore tree - You lead a lonley existence ;)

I saw power lines down with no fallen tree involvement yesterday.

I also saw trees and branches down from strong gusts during the night.

Also remember there was no red warning for this storm - all things being equal when comparing storms ....

Re Galway and Ali - from the ESB outage map for Callum most of the faults were in the south of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Well now you are a book of knowledge well done on your insightful post. Top marks. The reality is kid that if powerlines are coming apart because of wind speeds that are softer than that out of the cheeks of my ars* then we don't stand a chance if we had a proper storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Well now you are a book of knowledge well done on your insightful post. Top marks. The reality is kid that if powerlines are coming apart because of wind speeds that are softer than that out of the cheeks of my ars* then we don't stand a chance if we had a proper storm.

Try to grasp the extent of the cable network, it's not just a few thousand kilometers of cable and few thousand poles, it's over 2,300 km of cable and that does not include Eirgrid's cables. That's over the distance from Dublin to St Petersburg in Russia. There are over 2.1 million poles. There are overhead and underground cables, transformers substations and stations which are all affected by everyday weather which consists of prevailing winds, salt air, lightening strikes, they are also affected by time and damage done by objects hitting poles and cables. It also costs a lot money to maintain said network and upgrade it on an day to day basis so when a storm hits you cannot say the ESB and Eirgrid have been sitting on their holes for all that time when the power goes off. If you do not believe me the data is on the ESB website. https://www.esbnetworks.ie/who-we-are/our-networks

zLJ8hGF.png

sM4G6b6.png

I don't know if you have eproctophilia or have a gastric issue but you seem to go on about your farting quite a bit which you might want to get looked at by a professional.

Try to grasp the extent of the cable network, it's not just a few thousand kilometers of cable and few thousand poles, it's over 2,300 km of cable and that does not include Eirgrid's cables. That's over the distance from Dublin to St Petersburg in Russia. There are over 2.1 million poles. There are overhead and underground cables, transformers substations and stations which are all affected by everyday weather which consists of prevailing winds, salt air, lightening strikes, they are also affected by time and damage done by objects hitting poles and cables. It also costs a lot money to maintain said network and upgrade it on an day to day basis so when a storm hits you cannot say the ESB and Eirgrid have been sitting on their holes for all that time when the power goes off. If you do not believe me the data is on the ESB website. https://www.esbnetworks.ie/who-we-are/our-networks

zLJ8hGF.png

sM4G6b6.png

I don't know if you have eproctophilia or have a gastric issue but you seem to go on about your farting quite a bit which you might want to get looked at by a professional.

don't bore me with esb jargon that 95% of people haven't a clue what you are talking about. They aren't doing enough to reduce power failures. In 2014 we were 2 weeks without power. IF you think that's acceptable then you are a nothing but a foolish person. and yes my wind would cause more destruction the what Storm Callum would have done and I'm proud of that thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ophelia was a daylight hours storm
    Ali was a daylight hours storm
    Callum was a night storm

Random punter :: "nobody died during callum. Met eireann are stupid. I didn't see a thing"

You can't cure stupid. No matter what you do with the warnings. Stupid will always find a way

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

don't bore me with esb jargon that 95% of people haven't a clue what you are talking about. They aren't doing enough to reduce power failures. In 2014 we were 2 weeks without power. IF you think that's acceptable then you are a nothing but a foolish person. and yes my wind would cause more destruction the what Storm Callum would have done and I'm proud of that thank you very much.

The data is very straightforward, I'm sure more than 5% understand it. It's important to realise that just because you do not understand something, that does not mean that nobody (or even 95%) are not capable of it.

Please go fart against a telegraph pole and see what happens. As soon as your farts have succeeded in bringing one down, your bowel problems become relevent to the topic. I suspect at least 95% of people in the discussion don't feel they have cause to be concerned about Storm Amprodude any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Well esb faults arent nearly as frequent now as they were when we built our house. They were common any wind or snow storm. Maybe they're not perfect, but it's a nonsense to suggest that things haven't improved. I'd say people are just more "entitled".

We saw the same last winter - mid snow storm giving out about roads not being cleared, when back in the 80's storms the village was cut off for more than a week. Realistic expectations have gone for many of the population.

• Advertisement

Rhineshark wrote: »
    The data is very straightforward, I'm sure more than 5% understand it. It's important to realise that just because you do not understand something, that does not mean that nobody (or even 95%) are not capable of it.

Please go fart against a telegraph pole and see what happens. As soon as your farts have succeeded in bringing one down, your bowel problems become relevent to the topic. I suspect at least 95% of people in the discussion don't feel they have cause to be concerned about Storm Amprodude any time soon.

it's not that hard to understand but I think 95% of people don't want needless power data. You are very funny, did you ever consider going into full time comedy with your wind?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Amprodude read the forum charter before posting here again.

Please desist from your style of posting which has nothing to offer the forum but only serves to rise others into an argument which in turn lowers the conversation and brings the thread off topic.

The Mod team will take appropriate action if the forum charter is not adhered to.

Mod Note: Amprodude read the forum charter before posting here again.

Please desist from your style of posting which has nothing to offer the forum but only serves to rise others into an argument which in turn lowers the conversation and brings the thread off topic.

The Mod team will take appropriate action if the forum charter is not adhered to.

I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

I think your one of the 5% that doesn't understand it. It's pretty straight forward.

So Its been four or five year since you didn't have power for two weeks. I think that is pretty good to be fair.
    Do you think billions is going to spent to improve power resilience across the country just so you don't lose two weeks power every five years when a bad storm hits. Irelands weather isn't bad enough.

Do you know that 1+1=2?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Do we not just have windy days anymore instead of giving everything a title

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Do we not just have windy days anymore instead of giving everything a title

We do. We had some last week. You may have forgot because they weren't named.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

There should be no Yellow warning. Just go straight to Orange and Red.

By their own definition, a Yellow just means
    Weather Alert – Be Aware

The concept behind YELLOW level weather alerts is to notify those who are at risk because of their location and/or activity, and to allow them to take preventative action. It is implicit that YELLOW level weather alerts are for weather conditions that do not pose an immediate threat to the general population, but only to those exposed to risk by nature of their location and/or activity.

I would take that to mean for a general audience there is no need for them to be aware. Only certain activities need know about the conditions, but these people will be more tuned to forecasts anyway. Putting a general Yellow warning out there just leads to the nonsense we've seen time and time again. A general descriptive forecast, highlighting that it will be windy, wet, etc., will inform the public as far as is required while at the same time raising awareness among that small minority of activities/locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Carol25

I would take that to mean for a general audience there is no need for them to be aware. Only certain activities need know about the conditions, but these people will be more tuned to forecasts anyway. Putting a general Yellow warning out there just leads to the nonsense we've seen time and time again. A general descriptive forecast, highlighting that it will be windy, wet, etc., will inform the public as far as is required while at the same time raising awareness among that small minority of activities/locations.

I disagree. Yellow warning wind speeds can be significant, and are useful for me living just inland from the sea in Galway. We now secure the trampoline and take down the net for a yellow wind warning which works well as we nearly lost it one night during a yellow warning when we didn’t do this! It’s also useful to know it’s not ‘just a windy day’, of which there are many here when deciding what or where to go with my two young boys. As someone who’s in a hurry, a quick scout of the weather app and seeing a yellow warning helps no end instead of having to delve into the forecast specificis to my area and try and ascertain where and when the winds will increase/decrease.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It seems reading the thread that there is nothing wrong with the warning system except the folk who accuse it. ie people do not read it properly as many have said here.

Storm Callum gets mentioned. as a non event? It was always forecast to
    be a west coast severe gale as it was in fact. Not a national event.

https://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/26798-tree-down-closing-road-at-turlough-castlebar-as-storm-callum-hits

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/eyewitness-footage-shows-flooding-in-mayo-as-storm-callum-rages-1.3661276

We were badly hit here; not as bad as Erik but not far off.

The scornful perception by those not in the areas met ie forecast is not the fault of the warning . which was just about right and appreciated.

Also met ie have a hard task they do well. Were they to downplay? They have to err on the side of caution for public safety. So children are not left stranded at schools etc.

Forecasting is not ever an exact science.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Kamili

Graces7 wrote: »
    It seems reading the thread that there is nothing wrong with the warning system except the folk who accuse it. ie people do not read it properly as many have said here.

I wholeheartedly agree here. however it doesn't help when they themselves contradict their own warning/advisory system, I've pointed this out before on their own website previously.

I heard one of their more well known forecasters over the weekend in a sound bite on the radio saying there are wind warnings in place, when in fact there yellow wind advisories.

This particular forecaster tends to play everything up and doesn't stick to the advisory vs warning anyway so this feeds the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭odyboody

What was wrong with the old "a gale warning is in place for *****"
    this mean that people that are affected by the conditions and are listening out for the warning have been notified and can tack action.
    The general public have an impression, Oh its going to be windy, and get on with things.
    There was never any hype on local or national radio for a gale warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,038 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I would disagree with that.

How often over the years do we have accidents involving people stranded at sea or on mountains because of bad weather. Yellow warnings are designed for such activities. If it stops one idiot it works.

NB Ophelia did not touch us here in Mayo but no one here is claiming it was a non event as we escaped. Turned right at Clare and hit the midlands... \we were very glad to escape it.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Look it was an unexpected and welcome weather event as April can be a boring enough time for us weather lovers but I think the general consensus is that this storm was no where near the strength that was forecasted.

It has further weakened Met E's credibility and accuracy when it comes to Red Warnings. I suspect they felt pressured to issue the Red as they would have been accused of "ignoring western rural areas, oh but if it was Dublin.....". The reality is that the Aran Islands, Connamara, west Kerry etc are sparsely populated and people and the landscape are well able to ride out big storms. In my opinion, it was the wrong call to issue a Red and watching Evelyn on the news, I suspected she thought so also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Look it was an unexpected and welcome weather event as April can be a boring enough time for us weather lovers but I think the general consensus is that this storm was no where near the strength that was forecasted.

It has further weakened Met E's credibility and accuracy when it comes to Red Warnings. I suspect they felt pressured to issue the Red as they would have been accused of "ignoring western rural areas, oh but if it was Dublin.....". The reality is that the Aran Islands, Connamara, west Kerry etc are sparsely populated and people and the landscape are well able to ride out big storms. In my opinion, it was the wrong call to issue a Red and watching Evelyn on the news, I suspected she thought so also.

Only post here I am going to make about this, after that, move it to the met eireann warning debate thread.

This is what Met Eireann was working with:
    iconeu_uk1-52-25-0_wfx9.png

Well within red? They work with the models and based their reasoning and warnings off the models. If they show red, they will wait for more model consensus (which was there btw as all the models were upgrading) and then issue it. As an island right next to a wild ocean, things are bound to change and be difficult to predict.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭OldRio

Utter tosh.

weather lovers? You mean thrill seekers? Weather lovers like our experts here love all weather not just dramatic, dangerous stuff.

and what do you mean here please? Whether or not folk can "ride out big storms" ,whatever that means , has no bearing whatever on the science of weather forecasting,and the care of and responsibility for accurate predictions. "ride out"? Come out here tonight and say that , please! we who live in remoter places need accurate forecasting. We need to safeguard livestock, as well as family . And thankfully we get it. Tonight out here is wild, and elsewhere even wilder. dangerously so.

Thankfully your "opinion" has no bearing on forecasts. Most of us are deeply grateful for accurate advice that helps us take precautions and minimise damage, and even avoid loss of life. There have been deaths when folk have ignored warnings.

Clearly the red warning was fully justified in the areas it was given for.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭stevenup7002

in my day we had rolling blackouts every thursday and sunday just to give the electricity a rest. we were all fine with it. we had other things to do, like, uh... going outside??

roofs would fall off of their own accord on a perfectly calm day. did you see any of us complaining? NO. the met eirheads would want to get out in the real world for a change and stop with ther ridiculous red alerts and amber warnings. yet another example of the nanny state coddling today's generation

in summary: T O T A L N O N - E V E N T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭White Clover

in my day we had rolling blackouts every thursday and sunday just to give the electricity a rest. we were all fine with it. we had other things to do, like, uh... going outside??

roofs would fall off of their own accord on a perfectly calm day. did you see any of us complaining? NO. the met eirheads would want to get out in the real world for a change and stop with ther ridiculous red alerts and amber warnings. yet another example of the nanny state coddling today's generation

in summary: T O T A L N O N - E V E N T

In your opinion, which is worth......??
    Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one!

Advertisement