Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids interested in Archery.

• 10-10-2014 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hi Guys, I know nothing about archery and am hoping ye can help me out. I have 3 kids (13, 11 and 8) the two eldest have been doing a spot of archery with scouts and just love it.

There is a small club nearby, but I am wondering if you can answer a few questions before I go to them (I don't want to look like a complete fool.)

1. Is there an age limit on when the kids can join a club?
    2. I am thinking of getting them a bow each (not the youngest) for Christmas but I don't want to spend a fortune as it might just be a fad. I found a nice youth longbow but I'd have to get it sent from England. Can I get a bow and arrows sent over or will there be trouble getting it into the country?
    3. Is there an age requirement to own a bow?
    4. Is there any point in getting a target? We have a big field that has a cowshed down one end, and I was thinking the target could go there when the field is empty, it obviously won't be in use when anyone/ thing is in the field.
    5. Are there any safety rules I need to be aware of (besides the obvious ones!!)

Just in case anyone is worried about it the bows and arrows will be kept in the gun safe unless they are under my supervision or at the club (assuming they can join.)

Sorry for all the questions I am all confusted here!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

Join the club first and do the beginners course, safety, types of bows etc are covered on the course and you can all get measured for the right bow.

No age limit, often down to the club and will probably want a parent present below a certain age.
    My 6 year old shoots

No problem sending Bows or arrows from the UK

No age limit to own a bow as far as I know, just common sense

A lot of people have their own targets

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NickD

Thanks a million for that, I'll get in touch with the club and go from there. Thanks again

Advertisement