Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A3 rated new-build - gas, electric & solar

• 14-07-2019 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all, you'll have to forgive me, I know nothing about these things...

I know all new build houses have to be A3 rated these days, at a minimum. I was looking at one the other day, where the heating is a combi gas boiier along with an electric fire in the living room (no chimney) - there are also 5 solar panels on the roof - presumably for water, but I'm not sure... They could be PV either. There's also no tank in the hot-press. It's an ~100 sqm 3 bedroom semi-d.

I was under the impression from looking at other new builds that heat pumps were required to achieve the A3 rating? How is it possible with gas / electric / solar?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

A2 from November.

Very easy to hit A3 to be honest even with gas, solar and electric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

kceire wrote: »
    A2 from November.

Very easy to hit A3 to be honest even with gas, solar and electric.

Just make sure the insulation is to spec and the house is sealed properly? I noticed the windows were double rather than triple glazed too. How hard would it be to make it better still?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just make sure the insulation is to spec and the house is sealed properly? I noticed the windows were double rather than triple glazed too. How hard would it be to make it better still?

To make it better your talking about reducing your air tightness level to 5 or better instead of the minimum 7.

Up the insulation. Orientation of windows etc
    More efficient space heating and ventilation exchange maybe.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Afternoon all, you'll have to forgive me, I know nothing about these things...

I know all new build houses have to be A3 rated these days, at a minimum. I was looking at one the other day, where the heating is a combi gas boiier along with an electric fire in the living room (no chimney) - there are also 5 solar panels on the roof - presumably for water, but I'm not sure... They could be PV either. There's also no tank in the hot-press. It's an ~100 sqm 3 bedroom semi-d.

I was under the impression from looking at other new builds that heat pumps were required to achieve the A3 rating? How is it possible with gas / electric / solar?

if its a combi gas boiler, then the solar panels are most definitely PV.

and there are many ways to get to A3 level.....

Heat Pumps are popular with one off builds as they provide 3 required energy sources in one system ie space, water and renewables.

Advertisement