Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

A cloudy day in wexford but the sun is trying to come out. I don't actually mind the cold, I'd take it any day over the cloudy, humid, muggy warm spell we got back in august.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The_Brood wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/poll-cold-weather-5214351-Sep2020/

Well that spun me right off my chair. Most people actually like cold weather?

To me this is the same as asking whether you like cancer, war, and child hunger. What kind of human being exactly votes yes? Cold weather brings death, sickness, economic ruin and decline, and depression and misery.

Hot weather also brings death though, and is probably more lethal than cold weather. The European heatwave of 2003 killed between 50,000 and 70,000 people! For comparison, the European cold wave of 2012 killed just under 1,000, which is also terrible of course. For an average person in Ireland, it is easier to escape from the cold than the heat. All types of weather have some sort of a downside.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Hot weather also brings death though, and is probably more lethal than cold weather. The European heatwave of 2003 killed between 50,000 and 70,000 people! For comparison, the European cold wave of 2012 killed just under 1,000, which is also terrible of course. For an average person in Ireland, it is easier to escape from the cold than the heat. All types of weather have some sort of a downside.

It surely also d epends what you mean by "cold" . It is cold today . but in no way life threatening. And folk here on boards tend to love extremes anyways? It is extremes that threaten

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a cool but pleasant day here in Meath. Warm weather is now confined to the very south of Spain and the far east of Europe.

The Spanish must be really feeling the chill, particularly over northern Spain with temperatures no better than Ireland.

temp_sp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Freezing in Dublin today and very windy. Oh well only another 8 months to go until it starts to warm up again!

• Advertisement

Hail shower in Dublin 5, windy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Sudden hail squall in Letterkenny out of nowhere again!

It's been cooler these past few days but at least the weathers been interesting with plenty of sunshine and nice cloudscapes, I've much preferred September to any month since probably April

Hail shower in Dublin 5, windy too.
    Another hail shower. Not that the hailstones are particularly big but this is the biggest I've ever seen them, which doesn't really say much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Another hail shower. Not that the hailstones are particularly big but this is the biggest I've ever seen them, which doesn't really say much.

Around 3am yesterday morning there was a really heavy hail shower in D5. Unusual for Sept.

pauldry wrote: »
    Wet cold is all we get and some frost

If we got any dry cold that would be OK but usually its soaking wet and 8c a bit like this morning was here.

In fact sometimes we get very cold Novembers with cold cold cold where in other countries there would be snowfall but here in Ireland just cold puddles of rain and sometimes hail and if youre lucky you might see a dusting on the mountain top out of sympathy.

Ive a feeling about this Winter though...(I hope I dont say this every year)

Ah, I asked my neighbour about the coming winter! he is nearly 70, born here and lived here all his life and he opines it will not be bad but blowy!

Now we DO get snow! In my first winter here we did; I even had a photo of it somewhere. Not a huge amount but my neighbours made a snowman

Glorious now; a dry wind and bright sun. Washing all dry. Grand!

West Mayo offshore

• Advertisement

Lovely sunny cold evening in wexford. Fire is lit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

pauldry wrote: »
    Saturday: Mainly dry, with good sunny spells and light northerly or variable winds. Highest temperatures of 11 to 14 degrees..

Tomorrow will be a dry day overall, bar a few light scattered showers in Ulster in the morning. It'll be a bright, crisp day with sunshine and a moderate northerly breeze. Maximum temperatures of 11 to 15 degrees, mildest in the southwest.

Subtle changes for Sligo. Now it will be breezy and showery too

Sorry this is forecast from earlier in the week vs today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Danno wrote: »
    Bitterly cold! Under 9°c at present in South Laois. Hit a balmy 10.2°c earlier. If the afternoon doesn't beat that then it's officially my coldest September day on record going back to 2008.

Max never exceeded 10.2c yesterday. New September cold maximum record set.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

bitterly cold here in Meath, had a brief and light hail shower earlier but the size of the hail was fairly large.

Blissfully calm and peaceful . The wind has eased. Cool.

West Mayo offshore

Was a balmy 12.8c in Sligo today. Tonight will be 3c. Giving a day night average of 7.9c....akin to early November

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Lovely about tea time in North kerry. Was out working in the garden

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭jaffa20

It's meant to be 2/3 degrees at the moment in Kildare and it feels ok to me and i haven't put heating on. It atually felt colder this morning with the dampness. Maybe the sun earlier provided some heat.

Breathtakingly cold.

met ie admits to 5 for Connacht.

Still and silent. Which is lovely. Really restful But shivers.

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭appledrop

Met Eireann currently recording -2 for Mout Dillion.

BRRRRRRR stay in bed everyone!

• Advertisement

appledrop wrote: »
    Met Eireann currently recording -2 for Mout Dillion.

BRRRRRRR stay in bed everyone!

lol.. great minds think alike...

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

Windscreen frozen this morning. 1 degree

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

There was a hard grass frost in many areas overnight.

527476.png

Just been out for a wander and an utterly glorious day now. Sky unclouded and ocean azure and smooth.

Just needs to warm up a little ..

West Mayo offshore

a clear morning in wexford.

Clear morning. But clouding up a little and light showers in Ulster. These were mentioned in yesterday evenings forecast but were taken off but are there. They should have left them on.

I think minus 3.7c is lowest ever September temperature. Will it be beat tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Registered a low of - 1.9 here this morning. Quite early for an air frost I would assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

-1.5C and -2.2C at Mt Dillon on 24 and 29 September 2018 respectively.

-0.6C at Kilkenny with -6.6C grass min.

https://twitter.com/kilkennyweather/status/1309788147031703554?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well i couldnt go back asleep so it was up + out for a walk.

Stunningly beautiful morning in sunshine once your wrapped up.

Playground packed already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

sryanbruen wrote: »

18 miles north here in South Laois and it was -1.2c in the air and -3.4c on the grass.

Advertisement