Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC win dodgy box battle!

• 06-04-2009 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭

It seems UPC have managed to cut off a lot of the people who use these illegal devices. About time!

It's all to do with Nagravision 3, which to date is unhackable.

Matt Cooper had an item about it on his show today. Click below, it's about 20 minutes into the show on Monday 6th April.

http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Matt-Cooper/listen.aspx

Comments

10 Years overdue.

I would think that if UPC hadn't taken over that disaster that was NTL it never would of happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

I never got into that rubbish.

I knew that UPC would stop it at some point.

I am glad to see they have.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

It was infuriating when these guys would tell all within earshot of everyone about the "great scam" they were pulling off in getting all these premium channels for nothing. They usually had a big grin on their faces as they told everyone. Well I expect e bay to be a bit busy over the coming weeks with these useless items up for sale! biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

cisk wrote: »
    10 Years overdue.

It hasn't been going on for 10 years, so how is it 10 years overdue?

Dosnt matter, its been hacked over 10 years, so thats why i say its overdue.

True its only mainstream in the last few years.

Sky always kept up to date encryption and never faced this problem, alot of damage has been done.

• Advertisement

Koloman wrote: »
    It was infuriating when these guys would tell all within earshot of everyone about the "great scam" they were pulling off in getting all these premium channels for nothing. They usually had a big grin on their faces as they told everyone. Well I expect e bay to be a bit busy over the coming weeks with these useless items up for sale! biggrin.gif

We have only changed to Nagra 2 the UPC boxes with the blue EPG need a new card also then it's Nagra 3 time.

The game is over.

I know the mods don't like Nagravision been talked about but since Nagra 3 is a secure system I am not discussing how to hack pay tv I have discussing how people can no longer hack it.

Here is Nagravisions official web site http://www.nagravision.com/

seanybiker wrote: »
    mine is still grand.

That is because step one is a change from Nagra 1 to Nagra 2.

This has knocked out most boxes.

Nagra 3 will knock them all out.

Here is a site where you can continue your viewing www.upc.ie :D

Not really, they have been simlcrypting N1 & N2 & N3 for a whille now.

All new cards are nag 3, which is secure.

The UPC DVRs have been running N2 since last year, so they have switched of N1 on the premium sports, movies ect.

so now N2 & N3 are left, they cant switch of N2 (unsecure) till the DVRs have N3 cards.

When the do they will switch of N2, leaving a Secure N3 only.

Which is doomsday for non UPC box.

Ranicand wrote: »
    We have only changed to Nagra 2 the UPC boxes with the blue EPG need a new card also then it's Nagra 3 time.

The game is over.

I know the mods don't like Nagravision been talked about but since Nagra 3 is a secure system I am not discussing how to hack pay tv I have discussing how people can no longer hack it.

Here is Nagravisions official web site http://www.nagravision.com/

Thanks for the correction.

Not really, they have been simlcrypting N1 & N2 & N3 for a whille now.

All new cards are nag 3, which is secure.

The UPC DVRs have been running N2 since last year, so they have switched of N1 on the premium sports, movies ect.

so now N2 & N3 are left, they cant switch of N2 (unsecure) till the DVRs have N3 cards.

When the do they will switch of N2, leaving a Secure N3 only.

Which is doomsday for non UPC box.

So it would be cheaper at this point just to pay the Sub then look for a Nagra2 dodgy box.

UPC have one the war just a little bit of a mop up left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

It seems UPC have managed to cut off a lot of the people who use these illegal devices. About time!

Matt Cooper had an item about it on his show today. Click below, it is about 20 minutes into the show on Monday 6th April.

http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Matt-Cooper/listen.aspx

Thanks for the link I did listen to it :)

Yes it was inevitable especiouly since sky had warned U P C they might withdraw their channels if something was not done about securing the signal.

The pity is when Murdoch started this whole revolution so much now that was free is now subscription only. it was not forseen that the least able to pay would be the big losers:(

pensioners,ill etc stuck at home 24/7,the ones most in need of good entertainment basicly told tough ,hard luck,We can make millions without you:(

Far be it from me to stop the march of history,still it is a shame,survivol of the fittest&the winners take it all:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,055 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The cost of the dodgy box is the same as subscribing to the channels for three months. Some people have had their boxes for years...so somehow dont think they will be feeling too hard done by.

Thanks for the correction.

Thanks but it does not matter anyway dodgy boxes are a useless purchase now and I think the message is sinking in.

Tusky wrote: »
    The cost of the dodgy box is the same as subscribing to the channels for three months. Some people have had their boxes for years...so somehow dont think they will be feeling too hard done by.

I am surprised it went on for so long.

Downloading free stuff off the net is still an option.:D

Sky always kept up to date encryption and never faced this problem, alot of damage has been done.

True, the best thing they did was move to an encryption system that didn't have any separate '100% working' CAM interfaces released and they invested in changing cards over the years.
    NTL didn't wanna spend the money, UPC have but will they gain any more customers with this? I can see most people just moving to Sky or FTA Satellite (buying subs from other EU countries for football matches)

kerbdog wrote: »
    True, the best thing they did was move to an encryption system that didn't have any separate '100% working' CAM interfaces released and they invested in changing cards over the years.
    NTL didn't wanna spend the money, UPC have but will they gain any more customers with this? I can see most people just moving to Sky or FTA Satellite (buying subs from other EU countries for football matches)

Well people would not pay the sub if they could get it for free.

People who have been stopped from watching for free may not subscribe but in the long term I think some will.

Give it a year or two of Nagra 3 and people who want Sports may decide going with UPC is the easy option rather then getting a dish installed that requires a phone connection for the cheap box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

It was infuriating when these guys would tell all within earshot of everyone about the "great scam" they were pulling off in getting all these premium channels for nothing. They usually had a big grin on their faces as they told everyone.
    Out of interest, why would you care if someone was using a box to display a television picture in their house?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

General word of warning:

Please don't post stating that you have a working "dodgybox" here please.

It's in your best interests!

CiaranC wrote: »
    Out of interest, why would you care if someone was using a box to display a television picture in their house?

Because people like us are paying for the service.

The service was never going to improve or grow with people ripping it off.

Sky was thinking about pulling their channels off the cable system.

UPC provide fast broadband and in my area the Eircom line is rubbish so I would be very sad if UPC went bust.

byte wrote: »
    General word of warning:

Please don't post stating that you have a working "dodgybox" here please.

It's in your best interests!

Good advice all message boards store IP numbers and at the request of Police this must be given.

Your ISP can then identify people from that number.

• Advertisement

Well people would not pay the sub if they could get it for free.

People who have been stopped from watching for free may not subscribe but in the long term I think some will.

Give it a year or two of Nagra 3 and people who want Sports may decide going with UPC is the easy option rather then getting a dish installed that requires a phone connection for the cheap box.

Phone line isn't 100% needed for Sky afaik and defo not needed for a non-sky box which you might be able to use other EU countries subs (non-sky, which you would buy) for football. The same subs that Sky go after pubs for using :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Cable was started to supply rotten quality BBC & ITV and reduce the aircraft hazards.

All the Main UK channels are now free in great quality on satellite.

If people didn't take UPC/Sky/Setanta Sport subs and spent the money supporting their local teams the sport would soon be back free on BBC/ITV /RTE as it would be of no value then to PayTV operators.

watty wrote: »
    Cable was started to supply rotten quality BBC & ITV and reduce the aircraft hazards.

If people didn't take UPC/Sky/Setanta Sport subs and spent the money supporting their local teams the sport would soon be back free on BBC/ITV /RTE as it would be of no value then to PayTV operators.

Well said

Because people like us are paying for the service.

The service was never going to improve or grow with people ripping it off.

Sky was thinking about pulling their channels off the cable system.

UPC provide fast broadband and in my area the Eircom line is rubbish so I would be very sad if UPC went bust.

+1

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Good advice all message boards store IP numbers and at the request of Police this must be given.

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

I highly doubt the Gardai would care in the slightest! God some people in this thread really seem to view this as a big victory and something to celebrate. It was a terrible service and as long as the tv license was paid I don't see a problem with it.

However I would never have gone near ntl digital. Sky+ ftw!!

su_dios wrote: »
    I highly doubt the Gardai would care in the slightest! God some people in this thread really seem to view this as a big victory and something to celebrate. It was a terrible service and as long as the tv license was paid I don't see a problem with it.

However I would never have gone near ntl digital. Sky+ ftw!!

The bit rate on the channels needs to be improved.

It is possible they would have spend some money doing this instead of the Nagra 3 switch which I am sure was not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,243 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Ntl digital would'nt lace Sky's boots.

The only reason I have UPC's TV service is because I can't get Sky - no line of sight where I live. I had every intention of only getting UPC's broadband and getting Sky+ but it wasn't to be. Still, if it weren't for UPC I'd only have the Irish channels.
    watty wrote: »

The first part is certainly true, the amount of aerials in Dublin for 405 VHF and 625 UHF was insane. However I don't remember Cablelink's service being rotten quality in the 90s, some of the channels weren't the best but the majority were perfectly fine, especially after the cable was replaced in Ballyfermot in 1994/95. The only dodgy ones I remember were the Band I channels, at the time they were Super Channel, Eurosport and Channel 4 (and also a Cryptovision encrypted CNN which was never viewable). Limerick's analogue cable had me very unimpressed since the only channels in NICAM are the Irish terrestrials.

• Advertisement

A lot of panicky people on the various forums tonight! biggrin.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement