Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RIP thread for people involved in TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ronald Pickup - also the voice of Aslan in the BBC adaptation of Lion, Witch & Wardrobe in the 1980s.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Loved that series growing up Aslan always such a regal character with great voice actors doing the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,283 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Falls under a face I knew but not his name for me. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Ronald Pickup has died, great actor who often appeared in British dramas. I remember him in a slightly controversial drama (A time to dance) with a young Dervla Kirwan.

RIP.

Reading up on it, apparently Dervla Kirwan regrets the role now. Didn't see it myself tho.

Was looking up that Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe series, and found the whole thing on youtube.
    Then went looking to see 'wonder who voiced Aslan' and saw the name Ronald Pickup, saw that he was still working, and just thought 'good for him'.

Sad to learn of his passing. RIP. Had a great long career too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Johnny Briggs who played Mike Baldwin in Coronation Street has died, he was 85.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Ah thats so sad,loved him in Corrie.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,002 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP

A legendary soap character

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    RIP

A legendary soap character

And also big screen - including a role in one of the WW2 classics, 633 Squadron.
    But forever remembered as Mike Baldwin on the street.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

It has to be said, the old Corrie is on a different telly show planet compared to the dross it is now.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    It has to be said, the old Corrie is on a different telly show planet compared to the dross it is now.

It's turning more and more miserable as the years go on.

Bill Roache once summarised the differences between Corrie and Eastenders. Eastenders, someone does something wrong (rob a pensioner, for example) and they get hounded into the streets, with a 'SLING YER HOOK' from all the people.

In Coronation Street, you're brought in for a cup of tea, and get a 'what were ya thinking, luv?'.

Now Corrie's become misery. That, and some of the actors on that show (Especially the younger cast, and a few of those who've been there for a while) are rubbish. They care less about acting, more about promoting products on instagram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 a chuisle

Mike was a great character. I used to love the way he would swagger into the Rovers Return.

a chuisle wrote: »
    Mike was a great character. I used to love the way he would swagger into the Rovers Return.

And order a double!

Frank Mills, who played Billy Williams in Coronation Street, has died aged 93.

He passed away Feburary 11th, but it's only being reported now.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9312601/Coronation-Street-star-Frank-Mills-played-Billy-Williams-soap-dies-aged-93.html

Frank Mills, who played Billy Williams in Coronation Street, has died aged 93.
    He passed away Feburary 11th, but it's only being reported now.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9312601/Coronation-Street-star-Frank-Mills-played-Billy-Williams-soap-dies-aged-93.html

I remember him as Fig Newton in Rumpole of the Bailey, who would do the leg work for Rumpole trailing suspects in all weathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

It's turning more and more miserable as the years go on.

Bill Roache once summarised the differences between Corrie and Eastenders. Eastenders, someone does something wrong (rob a pensioner, for example) and they get hounded into the streets, with a 'SLING YER HOOK' from all the people.

In Coronation Street, you're brought in for a cup of tea, and get a 'what were ya thinking, luv?'.

Now Corrie's become misery. That, and some of the actors on that show (Especially the younger cast, and a few of those who've been there for a while) are rubbish. They care less about acting, more about promoting products on instagram.

I can't see a lot of the younger cast they have nowadays
    being as fondly remembered as most of the oldschool cast of yeasteryear on corrie or even eastenders and the like, they're all so bland and banal compared to the like of Baldwin Jack and Vera Duckworth, Frank Butcher Peggy... Big characters Big Personalities.

being as fondly remembered as most of the oldschool cast of yeasteryear on corrie or even eastenders and the like, they're all so bland and banal compared to the like of Baldwin Jack and Vera Duckworth, Frank Butcher Peggy... Big characters Big Personalities.

Yeah, and I was saddened that the actor playing Norris unfortunately cannot return. The mind was willing, the body, unfortunately not.
    He brought warmth. Despite his nitpicking, there was humanity there.

I know there are some actors and characters many people forget were on the show.
    There are even entire families that were forgotten (The Griffin's, The Morton's, among others. The Morton's were noticable for being hated on arrival, and the family were whittled out rather quickly. I didn't even remember the Morton's until one actor passed away last year, and I forgot he was even in Corrie. He was one of the Morton's).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Former Liverpool and Scotland striker Ian St John has passed away at 82. He'll be remembered by a lot of people for the Saturday afternoon show he co-hosted with Jimmy Greaves. Saint and Greavsie ran from 1985-1992 on ITV.

A great straight man to Greavsie on TV. RIP.

Jahmil French has died aged 29 RIP.

He was a star of Degrassi: The Next Generation and was last in Netflix's Soundtrack series.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,002 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jahmil French has died aged 29 RIP.

He was a star of Degrassi: The Next Generation and was last in Netflix's Soundtrack series.

So young :( RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Gave up on corrie years ago , emmerdale is far superior

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

Watching Upstairs Downstairs boxset atm and just saw that Nicola Pagett who played Elizabeth Bellamy has died..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,146 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

leeside11 wrote: »
    Watching Upstairs Downstairs boxset atm and just saw that Nicola Pagett who played Elizabeth Bellamy has died..

I remember her from A Bit of a Do with David Jason and David Thewlis.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56291059

Sad to read that bipolar disorder (then known as Manic Depression) effectively ended her career.

I think I saw her in a Bit of a Do. There were a few episodes repeated late at night on Gold, or Dave or one of those channels. Not long back.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I remember her from Anna Karenina when I was about 10 years old and thought she was gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,627 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Aah no :(

Tony Hendra has died, aged 79.

Best known for playing Spinal Tap manager Ian Faith, but also worked in TV (co-created ‘Spitting Image’ and wrote for ‘Saturday Night Live’)

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/05/arts/television/tony-hendra-dead.amp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Trevor Peacock dead: Vicar Of Dibley actor who played Jim Trott dies at 89

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Trevor Peacock has died.Most remembered for Vicar of Dibley. He played Jim Trott.
    Died after a long battle with dementia.He was 89.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Kind of crazy just how many of the Vicar of Dibley main cast have passed away given that it was made in the 1990s.

The Jim Trott character on the surface seemed like a one-liner gimmick that would be very tiresome after two episodes, but he really made it a great character in his own right.

• Advertisement

dubstarr wrote: »
    Trevor Peacock has died.Most remembered for Vicar of Dibley. He played Jim Trott.
    Died after a long battle with dementia.He was 89.

Who would have thought that before acting, he wrote pop songs, including a US number 1!

"Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter" is a popular song written by British actor, screenwriter and songwriter Trevor Peacock. It was originally sung by actor Tom Courtenay in The Lads, a British TV play of 1963, and released as a single on UK Decca. The best-known version of the song is by Herman's Hermits, who took it to number one on the US Billboard Hot 100 in May 1965

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Peacock

Advertisement