Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in TV

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Hands was a simple show about skilled and complex work. I remember watching it avidly when I was a teenager and I'd love to see it again. I'll always remember the episode on coopering. My grandfather was a cooper from the 1920s to the 1960s and I imagine he worked much like the cooper featured in Hands. Unfortunately the trade is nearly extinct in Ireland these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Hands was a simple show about skilled and complex work. I remember watching it avidly when I was a teenager and I'd love to see it again. I'll always remember the episode on coopering. My grandfather was a cooper from the 1920s to the 1960s and I imagine he worked much like the cooper featured in Hands. Unfortunately the trade is nearly extinct in Ireland these days.

They were digitally remastered and reshown not that long ago.

As for the series itself, they're all up on youtube. You can buy the boxset from hands.ie.

Case in point, the cooper episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLs7ZWB5m0I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

As for the series itself, they're all up on youtube. You can buy the boxset from hands.ie.

I have a huge urge to watch them again now.

The slow pace, narration, skills and lifestyles shown are a great antidote to crap!
    R.I.P.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I have a huge urge to watch them again now.

The slow pace, narration, skills and lifestyles shown are a great antidote to crap!
    R.I.P.

There was an episode on making Porcelain figures of birds, by a very talented artist.

I remember being absolutely fascinated with how he created those pieces. Some of those hands episodes are on different channels. It's pretty easy to find them on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭A-Train

There was an episode on making Porcelain figures of birds, by a very talented artist.

I remember being absolutely fascinated with how he created those pieces. Some of those hands episodes are on different channels. It's pretty easy to find them on youtube.

I had never heard of this show until reading this today and it reminded me of a show my recently passed away uncle use to always say he was on.

Sure enough a bit of digging today and it is the same show and thanks to your tip about YouTube I have found the episode that my uncle featured in. I had never seen it and it’s great to now have it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

David Shaw-Smith, Gerrit Van Gelderen, Éamon de Buitléar, the holy trinity of RTE's 70s/80s slow TV subgenre all gone now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

David Shaw-Smith, Gerrit Van Gelderen, Éamon de Buitléar, the holy trinity of RTE's 70s/80s slow TV subgenre all gone now.

I actually went googling for Gerrit last night after the David Shaw Smith announcement on here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's a reminder of how social history is created - recording ordinary people doing their work.

Right now you could do this for say the back-street mechanic. Soon their skills will be lost because in a generation their role will have been rendered obsolete by the end of the internal combustion engine with traditional geared transmission.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Many thanks, that is tonight's viewing sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

They were all fab, especially those introducing us to our natural world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mick Norcross has died aged 57 (Kirk's dad, both were on TOWIE)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Irish Olympian Jerry Kiernan Died today. He also worked with RTÉ covering many Olympic Games' television coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Irish Olympian Jerry Kiernan Died today. He also worked with RTÉ covering many Olympic Games' television coverage

What happened him?

Mira Furlan (of Babylon 5/Lost) has passed away.

The article has a touching In Memorium from the great maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mira Furlan (Babylon 5 and Lost) dead at 65

• Registered Users Posts: 60,269 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

RIP.

That's most to the B5 main cast now dead :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,777 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

RIP.

It's hard to believe... think only Bruce Boxleitner, Claudia Christian, Patricia Tallman and Bill Mumy of the core cast still with us.
    RIP Mira, Andreas, Stephen, Michael, Richard, Zack, Peter, Jerry ... gone before their time:(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It's hard to believe... think only Bruce Boxleitner, Claudia Christian, Patricia Tallman and Bill Mumy of the core cast still with us.
    RIP Mira, Andreas, Stephen, Michael, Richard, Zack, Peter, Jerry ... gone before their time:(

Peter Jurasik, Andrea Thomson, Julie Catlin Brown, Jason Carter, Tracey Scroggins were all main cast at some point and are still alive and well.

Wikipedia list 18 "main cast" and 11 of them are still alive.

RIP.

Not quite most

5 out of 11 of the regular cast for Season one are still with us.
    6 out of 12 of the regular cast for Season two are still with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,269 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

odyssey06 wrote: »

Peter Jurasik is still alive as well.

A lot of them died so young as well so sad :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

Am just after hearing that Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh has passed, can anyone confirm ?

6541 wrote: »
    Am just after hearing that Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh has passed, can anyone confirm ?

Her twitter's active, so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭brian_t

This reminds me of the 2020 story about Carrie Crowley. Some ppl on here claimed she was deceased when in fact she was very much alive !

• Registered Users Posts: 28,289 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

He had Covid recently.
    I thought he had got better though :(

RIP Larry.

AWWww... Not Larry King... Jesus.

Bloody Covid.

Larry King made a cameo on the Muppets many moons ago, and he was hilarious.

Skip to the 1:40 mark, and 4:30 mark.

There's a great ending joke to that episode that makes a great zinger to his whole appearance.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Larry King what a legend

Who's next from this ****ing virus :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    He had Covid recently.
    I thought he had got better though :(

RIP Larry.

He was 87, at that age "better" is a moving target. :(

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭corkie

Mira Furlan (of Babylon 5/Lost) has passed away.

The article has a touching In Memorium from the great maker.
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Mira Furlan (Babylon 5 and Lost) dead at 65

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

Advertisement