Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pocophone F1 - The new flagship killer?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,721 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

dowling06 wrote: »
    Picked up the Mi 8 delivered for 380 and now its down to 327 already. Its a brilliant phone and has the edge over the Pocophone in everything bar CPU cooling, expandable storage and battery.

does the Mi 8 have a sim slot for expanding SD storage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

sydthebeat wrote: »
    does the Mi 8 have a sim slot for expanding SD storage?

No hybrid sim tray in the Mi8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

This seemingly has it's own "Poco" skin instead of MIUI which is apparently a major plus. I have never used a Xiaomi device but MIUI looks a bit annoying.

ibFoxer wrote: »
    This seemingly has it's own "Poco" skin instead of MIUI which is apparently a major plus. I have never used a Xiaomi device but MIUI looks a bit annoying.

Miui does what a lot of Chinese skins do and tries to make android look.and behave like iOS which is super annoying. But it works very well in terms of responsiveness etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

There's a Pocophone launcher for anyone with MIUI 9 or 10 to try too.

https://www.androidauthority.com/xiaomi-pocophone-f1-wallpapers-898103/

• Advertisement

Miui does what a lot of Chinese skins do and tries to make android look.and behave like iOS which is super annoying. But it works very well in terms of responsiveness etc.

No app drawer would annoy me at this stage, and that's coming off practically every iteration of iPhone since the first. The switch to android has been a blessing.

No app drawer would annoy me at this stage, and that's coming off practically every iteration of iPhone since the first. The switch to android has been a blessing.

Easy fix is to just install a third party launcher like Nova, tbh.

Easy fix is to just install a third party launcher like Nova, tbh.

Of course yeah, but the point is that MIUI is a rip of iOS and not in keeping with even other android skin.

Either which way, Poco skin looks good.

Of course yeah, but the point is that MIUI is a rip of iOS and not in keeping with even other android skin.

Either which way, Poco skin looks good.

I definitely agree. I'm using a p10 at the minute and when I setup and it had no drawer I was tempted to send it back until I found the option for the drawer in the settings. It annoyed the ****e out of me. I like a clean hone screen with minimal apps, just a my clock and weather widgets and maybe my music player.

I definitely agree. I'm using a p10 at the minute and when I setup and it had no drawer I was tempted to send it back until I found the option for the drawer in the settings. It annoyed the ****e out of me. I like a clean hone screen with minimal apps, just a my clock and weather widgets and maybe my music player.

Galaxy S8, Nova, two rows of apps in the smallest icon size that looks good, and lots of space on the home screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

dowling06 wrote: »
    Here: (snip)

They ship a bunch of phones to someone in the UK and then send your package from within the UK to you via DHL. That way you cant be charged for customs as its from within the UK.

Thanks for that. Ever used that vendor?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭dowling06

corwill wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Ever used that vendor?

Yup have the Mi 8 here myself. Brilliant phone and takes around 10-14 days to deliver. Running the Global MIUI 10 ROM from xiaomi.eu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭corkie

[Unbox Therapy] Pocophone F1 - How Is This Smartphone Possible?

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

The Pocophone launcher has an app drawer.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Glad it has that massive hideous notch or Id be regretting my recent purchase of the Mi Max 3 looking at those specs, Xiaomi are going to achieve ridiculous market share soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Patww79 wrote: »
    Who do a lot of these Chinese manufacturers not do NFC?

Chips are made by two companies that are a bit feud-y or were. They may not be willing to cough up the kinda prices required for the near closed ecosystem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Thargor wrote: »
    Glad it has that massive hideous notch

oh yes the Notch of Doom

fcuking hate it

squawker wrote: »
    oh yes the Notch of Doom

fcuking hate it

I could barely contain my disgust at the notch on the iPhone X when it launched. But the world has taken leave of its senses and it's practically the new normal in the space of a year.

Worse again, over the last couple of months I've found myself thinking 'it's alright, I suppose'... Although, the absolute state of the renders I've seen for the Pixel 3XL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'd rather a notch an inch deep than a phone with a Chinese skin that'll never see an update.

Patww79 wrote: »
    I'd rather a notch an inch deep than a phone with a Chinese skin that'll never see an update.
    The amount of custom roms for this thing will be huge if its as good as it sounds, you'll probably be able to get the newest stock Android for years to come.

Thargor wrote: »
    The amount of custom roms for this thing will be huge if its as good as it sounds, you'll probably be able to get the newest stock Android for years to come.

Plus Xiaomi are pretty good at keeping most of their handsets updated, as I understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

6.18 inch screen.that's huge.i have a 5.5 And i can barely text with one hand.deal breaker for me anyway.they can keep it.

6.18 inch screen.that's huge.i have a 5.5 And i can barely text with one hand.deal breaker for me anyway.they can keep it.

What's your current handset? Screen to body ratios have come on a lot.

Most keyboard apps have a one-handed mode feature these days, might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

corwill wrote: »
    What's your current handset? Screen to body ratios have come on a lot.

Most keyboard apps have a one-handed mode feature these days, might help.

Its 5.7 actually.its an lgv20.i remember seeing that feature awhile back.i must check it out.

Its 5.7 actually.its an lgv20.i remember seeing that feature awhile back.i must check it out.

I use Gboard on a Oneplus 5, and I haven't needed it so far (I have big auld paws!), but that feature once activated makes the keyboard look a bit small for my talons.

You mightn't actually find much difference between the V20 and the Poco in your hand - https://www.phonearena.com/phones/LG-V20_id10202/size#/phones/LG-V20_id10202/size/Xiaomi-Poco-F1/phones/10975

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

What's the release date for this? Pre-order?
    (typing on a dying Note 4)

Ah, nevermind. Tomorrow.

https://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomimade_pocophone_f1_is_up_for_preorder_in_the_netherlands-amp-32891.php

"Xiaomi is expected to announce in Paris on August 27"

What's the release date for this? Pre-order?
    (typing on a dying Note 4)

Ah, nevermind. Tomorrow.

https://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomimade_pocophone_f1_is_up_for_preorder_in_the_netherlands-amp-32891.php

"Xiaomi is expected to announce in Paris on August 27"
    It could be weeks before vendors actually get their hands on it though, then it will probably start selling out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_makes_the_pocophone_global_today_in_hong_kong_paris_and_jakarta-news-32959.php

In France (with other European markets likely to follow) the Pocophone F1 will start at €330 for a 6GB+64GB configuration. The 6GB+128GB model will cost €370. Sales will open in September.

Advertisement