Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DoneDeal (Donegal) - my pet hate

• 24-07-2012 3:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭

Was are so many of the cars listed under 'Donegal' either NI or UK plates?

Surely there's some people the VRT folk could go after;)

If I'm in the market for a car, I don't want to see ones that I need to either (a) pay VRT on, or (b) drive illegally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Insurance is cheaper in the North, If young boy racer can get a Northern address he can save himself a few grand on insurance, maybe put it to good use like lowering the car.

• Administrators, Sports Moderators Posts: 21,676 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭smashey

Insurance is cheaper in the North, If young boy racer can get a Northern address he can save himself a few grand on insurance, maybe put it to good use like lowering the car.
    Or add the blue lights. Don't forget those! And that irritating noise they make like a "whooo" or something whatever the hell that is all about. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Surely the "Donegal" refers to the location of the seller? Then it's up to the individual seller to disclose where it's registered?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,759 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Wasn't there something in the last few days about some local guy winning a case against the revenue with regards to the VRT?

If that were so and was allowed we would see a lot more NI reg cars for sale here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Didn't see that Muffler.

Interesting if true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

NIMAN wrote: »
    Didn't see that Muffler.

Interesting if true.

Don't know if this link is allowed so apoligies in advance if its not but this is the case here

http://www.funkymotors.ie/blog/2012/07/19/fire-your-solicitor-call-from-donegal-man-who-won-vrt-case/

According to that the supposedly 'won' case was 3yrs ago!

So if thats true, how come judges are still finding in favour of Revenue when these cases go to court?

I'm confused.

So if thats true, how come judges are still finding in favour of Revenue when these cases go to court?

I'm confused.

Its OK your not the only one. I think though that this is just the start and there is still a long way to go with it

Once legal precedence has been set, does that not mean that all VRT challenges should now win?

Once legal precedence has been set, does that not mean that all VRT challenges should now win?

Well IMO in a world where the judicial system makes sense then yes but we don't live in that world

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

smashey wrote: »
    Or add the blue lights. Don't forget those! And that irritating noise they make like a "whooo" or something whatever the hell that is all about. :rolleyes:
    The dump valve?

byte wrote: »
    Thought you were going to say it was a muffler :eek:

• Administrators, Sports Moderators Posts: 21,676 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭smashey

muffler wrote: »
    Thought you were going to say it was a muffler :eek:
    It was :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Well IMO in a world where the judicial system makes sense then yes but we don't live in that world

I'm confused.

He didnt win his case, the way i read it was that the case against him was dismissed by the judge. It merely means his side presented a case which was stronger than the prosecution. He wrote an article and urged others to use the same line of defence as he did and hope that they can win too, but each case is judged independently and now that the state are aware of that line of defence no doubt they will have answer in law for it. He was lucky and nothing else, no precident has been set.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

byte wrote: »

Its not a dump valve, its a straight pipe from the turbo on a TDi engine, it give a boo sound between gear changes and it has to be the most ridiculously stupid sound ever. A lot of young boy racer VAG drivers have it and they think it makes their cars faster but it doesnt, it merely says 'Hey look at me, i'm a complete tool that drives a car that sounds like a pigeon'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

CJC999 wrote: »
    Its not a dump valve, its a straight pipe from the turbo on a TDi engine, it give a boo sound between gear changes and it has to be the most ridiculously stupid sound ever. A lot of young boy racer VAG drivers have it and they think it makes their cars faster but it doesnt, it merely says 'Hey look at me, i'm a complete tool that drives a car that sounds like a pigeon'

Harmless enough, not excessively noisy, they could be at worse with their money i.e. drinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Can anyone enlighten me please as to how there are quite a few cars with Uk plates for sale in Donegal? Furthermore can you explain why so many cars display illegal style reg plates?:)

Can anyone enlighten me please as to how there are quite a few cars with Uk plates for sale in Donegal? Furthermore can you explain why so many cars display illegal style reg plates?:)
    Moving to thread on this topic.

muffler wrote: »
    Moving to thread on this topic.

Where is thread on this topic?

Was are so many of the cars listed under 'Donegal' either NI or UK plates?

Surely there's some people the VRT folk could go after;)

If I'm in the market for a car, I don't want to see ones that I need to either (a) pay VRT on, or (b) drive illegally.

Since Revenue handed over VRT to the NCT centres I believe there has been a dramatic increase in the number of cars not being officially imported. as a tax payer I have no sympathy for anyone who is illegally driving a foreign registered car illegally. The cars should be confiscated and crushed by a mobile crusher!

In addition there are fines for displaying illegal number plates, however it seems to be ignored by quite a few people. Bring in the mobile car crusher!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Del, vrt is an illegal tax and is not compliant with the principles of the treaty of Rome. A Donegal activist on this issue won a landmark case on this recently ( too tired to look for link)

I too am a law obiding citizen who pays all taxes but I cannot help but say fair f!.ks to the person driving this issue as motorists are being looted every single day by the costs of motoring.

And yes, you're going to say that wouldn't be tolerated in cork, that's fine. I do have family and friends from cork who have purchased cars from the north and paid their vrt and still made a considerable saving. So some corkconians are not contributing to the Irish motor trade economy....that's tolerated;)

Donegal, being a border county does come in for extra attention from customs checks for vrt, green diesel, etc. there are plenty of northern registered cars in Donegal. That can be down to 1. People workin in the north or were born in the north and have northern driving licences or 2. People rebelling/dodging paying vrt as it is an illegal tax..yes del, there are a few rebels up here too;)

The level of car seizures has def risen though. I live not far from a yard with loads of cars lifted by the revenue comms for vrt. A lot of dealers close to the border in Tyrone do advertise on done deal and mark the adverts from Donegal too. Some dealers in the county bring uk cars over and sell them on DD. these people tend to advise that the price 'includes VRT and/or Irish plates.

Don't know if this link is allowed so apoligies in advance if its not but this is the case here

http://www.funkymotors.ie/blog/2012/07/19/fire-your-solicitor-call-from-donegal-man-who-won-vrt-case/

Sounds fishy?????:confused:

Killybegs joke right del?

Del, vrt is an illegal tax and is not compliant with the principles of the treaty of Rome. A Donegal activist on this issue won a landmark case on this recently ( too tired to look for link)

I too am a law obiding citizen who pays all taxes but I cannot help but say fair f!.ks to the person driving this issue as motorists are being looted every single day by the costs of motoring.

And yes, you're going to say that wouldn't be tolerated in cork, that's fine. I do have family and friends from cork who have purchased cars from the north and paid their vrt and still made a considerable saving. So some corkconians are not contributing to the Irish motor trade economy....that's tolerated;)

Donegal, being a border county does come in for extra attention from customs checks for vrt, green diesel, etc. there are plenty of northern registered cars in Donegal. That can be down to 1. People workin in the north or were born in the north and have northern driving licences or 2. People rebelling/dodging paying vrt as it is an illegal tax..yes del, there are a few rebels up here too;)

The level of car seizures has def risen though. I live not far from a yard with loads of cars lifted by the revenue comms for vrt. A lot of dealers close to the border in Tyrone do advertise on done deal and mark the adverts from Donegal too. Some dealers in the county bring uk cars over and sell them on DD. these people tend to advise that the price 'includes VRT and/or Irish plates.

Minister,

Thank you, I can sense your frustrations with this topic.
    1. I have no difficulty with someone importing a vehicle and paying the appropriate VRT. That is quite within the law and I have no issue with that.
    2. Gombeens deliberately flouting the law and evading tax is a criminal offence.This must be stopped as you and I as taxpayers end up paying more tax.

Best Regards

I'm in broad agreement wit you del. but you are correct, vrt is a bugbear of mine because as I said before its an illegal tax.

I know my arguments against it aren't worth diddly because if vrt is scrapped it'll just mean more taxes on petrol!

I think to be honest your 2 points contradict each other. If someone won a landmark case, then how come Customs can still seize cars?

<snip>

And on a final note, I see a mountain of NI cars in Donegal, and no they aren't from visitors. I know plenty of residents who drive them. But I do wonder how every single owner of such cars has an NI address. You have to have one to tax it in the North. And where do they insure it? At their fake NI address or their real Donegal address? If the latter, do RoI insurance companies not ask you to get the car re-registered or will they insure an NI registered car for RoI use?

Knowing how insurance companies bust a gut to get out of paying any claims, I would say you might find some problems if you crash an NI reg car in Donegal under a fake address in NI.

I think to be honest your 2 points contradict each other. If someone won a landmark case, then how come Customs can still seize cars?

<snip>

And on a final note, I see a mountain of NI cars in Donegal, and no they aren't from visitors. I know plenty of residents who drive them. But I do wonder how every single owner of such cars has an NI address. You have to have one to tax it in the North. And where do they insure it? At their fake NI address or their real Donegal address? If the latter, do RoI insurance companies not ask you to get the car re-registered or will they insure an NI registered car for RoI use?

Knowing how insurance companies bust a gut to get out of paying any claims, I would say you might find some problems if you crash an NI reg car in Donegal under a fake address in NI.

Yea point taken. The vrt case i referred to was only highlighted in the past few weeks. The guy involved would've been a member of the Irish drivers association from memory. He did comment that the problem with earlier challenges to the legality of vrt was that the solicitors/legal professionals were prob unaware/did not have proper knowledge of the relevant legislation to make a successful case against the enforcement of vrt.

Advertisement