Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

There wont be ash in the North or West of Ireland and only on the South and East Coasts it seems now.

Yes thanks, today anyways there will be none ,but that could all change in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

i'm supposed to be flying to Liverpool tomorrow 5pm, would it seem unlikely now that this will happen???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Forecast ash plume from DMI:

dreameu_ani.gif

Ash plume is actually low to mid level based at the moment, but an approaching low towards Iceland could lift further plumes higher which would cause a wider distribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mccarn22

Im very interested in this for some reason.. I should oh became a geologist there is a very supicious "fog" looming around the Dublin region as of now.... perhaps a coincidence or is this actually ash cloud fallout??

Geologists are saying that this eruption may be the beginning of worse to come... perhaps 2012 is upon us? Over 100,000 flights cancelled across Ireland, England and Northern Europe... there are also delays and more cancelations expected tomorrow...

mccarn22 wrote: »
    Over 100,000 flights cancelled across Ireland, England and Northern Europe...

You mean individual travellers, surely?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

phunkymonk wrote: »
    what are the chances of norway flights going ahead tomorrow?ment to be flying to Oslo around 11..:confused:

Nil it looks like.

Apparently they can smell the sulphur in down town Bergen. Norway is directly in the track of this.

• Advertisement

nope a news report said flights... im pretty sure... because its gonna have a domino effect as such..

This is pretty interesting
    Take a read lads.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6276291.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Pangea wrote: »
    Take a read lads.

On a positive note, volcanic ash in the atmosphere can increase the chance of thunderstorms! Spontaneous and violent thunderstorms, with an unusually strong redness in the lightning, were noted all across Europe during the "Laki Haze" in the late 1780's.

Pangea wrote: »
    Take a read lads.

im ****ing ****tin' now.... haha... but im still very much excited at the same time.. there is a break in the clouds across Dublin 9 now... so perhaps its not "fog" instead the windows that im looking out of are just dirty giving it the elusion that its foggy outside ha

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

hopefully some good will come from this, that being next winter is a cold one:p
    as Patrick McGoohan famously once said: "... you must see the good in every situation";)

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

My thoughts pretty much the entire time wandering around Dublin airport this morning;

Mcbain-VOLCANO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

So the last time Eyjafjallajökull erupted, it went on for about 2 years & the last three times it erupted it 'directly preceded a major eruption in the nearby subglacial volcano, Katla'.... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

this is nearly as exciting as the snow threads . . .but with a higher liklihood of death unfortunately . . . :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So the last time Eyjafjallajökull erupted, it went on for about 2 years & the last three times it erupted it 'directly preceded a major eruption in the nearby subglacial volcano, Katla'.... :eek:
    :eek:
    time to get ready for the end of civilisation:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

this is nearly as exciting as the snow threads . . . :(

I was just about to post the same comment! I'm now stuck on the internet most of the day! :D

Risk of death unlikely imho. Icelanders have been evacuated from affected areas and obvioulsy aviation authorities are very cautious.

Risk of another s**te summer though is not appealing! :(

• Advertisement

thats it... im packing in this thesis of mine and enjoying my last days... hahah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

And as usual at times like this the useful and interesting sites become 403'ed

http://www.radarvirtuel.com/

is down it seems (temptation to use the word 'crashed' was resisted):)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

irish1967 wrote: »
    And as usual at times like this the useful and interesting sites become 403'ed

http://www.radarvirtuel.com/

is down it seems (temptation to use the word 'crashed' was resisted):)

Apparantly that site was shown on BBC news at lunchtime and ever since it has been down!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Apparantly that site was shown on BBC news at lunchtime and ever since it has been down!

Kinda guessed that's what happened... bang goes another easy accessed site !:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ciaranbreennan

Anyone got any idea how long this will last? Sposed to be flying DUB-LHR on saturday morning.... My mother has already suggested I "get the boat to England"...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Irish aviation site say Irish airspace closed until 10 am Friday at the earliest. Flights to Dublin from Lanzorote today have been diverted to Madrid

Anyone got any idea how long this will last? Sposed to be flying DUB-LHR on saturday morning.... My mother has already suggested I "get the boat to England"...

Depends on how long the eruption lasts and where the weather conditions force the ash to go. The last time it erupted it went on for about 2 years but that doesnt mean it will happen like that this time.

France has now closed 24 airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

does this mean i can burn my rubbish outside and nobody will notice?!!

• Advertisement

dak wrote: »
    Irish aviation site say Irish airspace closed until 10 am Friday at the earliest. Flights to Dublin from Lanzorote today have been diverted to Madrid

Could you post a link?

Advertisement