Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Much colder, wintry showers, some of snow Easter Sunday 2021 onward

Comments

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    True, but this forum has always had its 'tetchy' moments.. for as long as I remember any way. M.T does stand aloof though, silently watching and no doubt shaking his head.

It helps to be in Canada,buried in Snow half the year,its a rruly beautiful and friendly country too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

True, but this forum has always had its 'tetchy' moments.. for as long as I remember any way. M.T does stand aloof though, silently watching and no doubt shaking his head.

I tend to bite my tongue and ignore alot of posts where someone seems to contradict themselves at times. It's not worth the energy.

Nice dry day here, if a little windier than I'd like for a spot of gardening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

AuntySnow wrote: »
    It helps to be in Canada,buried in Snow half the year,its a rruly beautiful and friendly country too

With an obscene amount of great music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuSbELCNloc

"On the surface, the city lights shine...."

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Regarding lighting fires, I can safely say that in my house a fire is lit every month of the year, As someone said to me before a fire is good company.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I guess the main reason I seem calm is the sedation effect. They try to keep me well medicated here at the Institute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Pangea wrote: »
    Regarding lighting fires, I can safely say that in my house a fire is lit every month of the year, As someone said to me before a fire is good company.

Solid Fuel Allowance has run out so no more fires here until it starts again.

Glad of the respite frankly from fire lighting. Handling coal is heavy work for me

And no need. And I have the cats for company... lol....and warmth.

Wonderfully quiet out here as that wind has dropped.

Planning Quiet Days as not at all well so stay safe …

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sleet here this morning but now its got a lot milder only light drizzle and some sunny spells. Mountains are dusted with snow still....waiting for weekend blast to whiten them again. Heavy hail in Sligo no doubt will be nice to look at.

In fact weather will be coming from a North or Northwesterly source all the way until the end of the forecast period so a lower than average IMT seems a cert.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

There’s still snow lying in the groves of our roof unbelievably!

Cold spell still all go for Friday.

Looks like Friday and the weekend are sunny here in Dublin. If its not too windy it will be pleasant enough I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Someone on the radio this morning mentioned Friday night would be cold. They said -4. It was a warning to gardeners.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

This cold spell is going to be a long one, the -5c or less isotherm is over Ulster right from Thursday afternoon to Monday afternoon! No downgrades at this point, here is the forecast for Derry: http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample_C.shtml?text=egae&submit.x=16&submit.y=9

Derry is under -9c or lower uppers from Friday 9am to Sunday 9am, as low as 516 decametres (which is unlikely to be downgraded now), so this limits marginality completely.

This system should bring some snow showers to northern and western parts, hopefully no more graupel. I have had enough of that for a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I try to hide my interest in the weather, because I know it's a little odd.. I moved my weather station into a more hidden place for that reason. The other thing is going out to monitor the weather, I would tend to drive up the hills in marginal situations every few hours to see what's going on. I really hope that my neighbours don't think that i'm some freak of the week for coming and going at all hours.

I do try to take different routes each time so that the people up the hill don't notice me driving past lol.

I would prefer a more normalised hobby.

The kind of people who will talk about others and brand them as odd or freaks over trivial things will find excuses to do so no matter what. I know it's often easier said than done, but it's best to do what makes you happy and pay no heed to judgmental types.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu

View Post

I try to hide my interest in the weather, because I know it's a little odd.. I moved my weather station into a more hidden place for that reason. The other thing is going out to monitor the weather, I would tend to drive up the hills in marginal situations every few hours to see what's going on. I really hope that my neighbours don't think that i'm some freak of the week for coming and going at all hours.

I do try to take different routes each time so that the people up the hill don't notice me driving past lol.

I would prefer a more normalised hobby.

I agree. Slightly OT but many years ago I was an avid plane-spotter and had a large pair of binoculars mounted on a tripod at an upstairs bedroom window.

One day a neighbour approached me saying his wife had become concerned as my binoculars appeared to be aimed at their bedroom window 150 meters away.

They accepted my explanations thankfully, but I was subsequently very aware of my slightly unusual hobby and I adapted my viewing habits accordingly.

Comhra wrote: »
    I agree. Slightly OT but many years ago I was an avid plane-spotter and had a large pair of binoculars mounted on a tripod at an upstairs bedroom window.

One day a neighbour approached me saying his wife had become concerned as my binoculars appeared to be aimed at their bedroom window 150 meters away.

They accepted my explanations thankfully, but I was subsequently very aware of my slightly unusual hobby and I adapted my viewing habits accordingly.

Oh dear not a fun experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Very like the Matt Damon character in 'There's Something About Mary':D

Some very low dew points forecasted in this cold spell.

How in the name of God did she spot a pair of binocs at 150m away? She must have great eyesight, or as is just as likely, a very big schnozz.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

How in the name of God did she spot a pair of binocs at 150m away? She must have great eyesight, or as is just as likely, a very big schnozz.

Maybe she was perving at him...

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Maybe she was perving at him...

"Kindly tell your Wife to stop staring at my Binoculars...."

Not a 'schnozz' at all. She saw me looking through them on a few occasions and got the idea I was watching her. Of course she told a few neighbours about me. It was a great joke for a long time afterwards.

• Advertisement

Not a 'schnozz' at all. She saw me looking through them on a few occasions and got the idea I was watching her. Of course she told a few neighbours about me. It was a great joke for a long time afterwards.

She sounds like a truly wonderful human being.

aTUYqdC.png

New Moon

She sounds like a truly wonderful human being.

aTUYqdC.png

In actual fact She was a very nice lady but an air-head. Sadly she became ill and died a short while afterwards.

(Apologies for rambling off-topic)

Colder air slowly filtering in, 4.7c. Need the wet bulb temp to come down.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Colder air slowly filtering in, 4.7c. Need the wet bulb temp to come down.

Gone a bit chilly in here too.

K5 buoy only 1c!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Looking forward to Friday and Friday night provided it's calm and a hard frost.
    That wind that turned Westerly today was shocking. Wet and cold air. Rotten stuff, no good for anything.
    I'll take the invisible north eastern flying piranha any day of the week.

3.2c here, heavy sleet shower. The airmass is saturated for now so no snow.

Showers are moving rather slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

when is this exceptionally tedious cold spell going to end?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

Every day next week there will be a very slight warming. Might be 13 or 14c by Saturday week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

pauldry wrote: »
    Every day next week there will be a very slight warming. Might be 13 or 14c by Saturday week

Bring it on!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement