Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

@nqp keep them photos coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭appledrop

Fair play to you nqp that's some hike.

And there I was thinking I was very brave yesterday with my coast walk in the wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I hiked up Sawel Mountain today (678 metres/2,224 feet). It is the highest I have hiked personally.

Sawel Mountain has an interesting Irish name.

Samhail Phite Méabha, meaning "the likeness of Méabh's vulva". Thats Queen Méabh of Connacht.

No further comment.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Great pics Nqp. It must have been fairly raw up on those slopes today!
    We had our own little dusting of spring snow on some of the peaks in the West yesterday morning.

549508.jpg

April showers and a cool breeze here today but it dried up this eve and there was nice visibility in the clear air. A little splash of colour to wrap up the day then.

549509.jpg

549510.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    Great pics Nqp. It must have been fairly raw up on those slopes today!
    We had our own little dusting of spring snow on some of the peaks in the West yesterday morning.

549508.jpg

April showers and a cool breeze here today but it dried up this eve and there was nice visibility in the clear air. A little splash of colour to wrap up the day then.

549509.jpg

549510.jpg

It was actually dead wind wise. I am sure it was painfully bitter yesterday though. I certainly wouldn't go up there on a windy day.

• Advertisement

@ Cluedo monopoly :eek::

Gorgeous still night out checking the calving shed
    Lovely starry sky but no frost
    The silence is very calming

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

topkarten.php?map=20&model=gfs&var=4&run=18&time=261&lid=OP&h=0&mv=0&tr=3#mapref

Here is the chart for April 19th coming. In my 13 years of weather records it has never rained properly on this only and particular day of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Danno wrote: »
    topkarten.php?map=20&model=gfs&var=4&run=18&time=261&lid=OP&h=0&mv=0&tr=3#mapref

Here is the chart for April 19th coming. In my 13 years of weather records it has never rained properly on this only and particular day of the year!

Can't see that chart Danno!

The eve of a certain holiday, perhaps mother nature allowing time for the harvest?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Today a half decent day in Dublin, did my 5k without any offensive temperatures or winds!
    Is there any sign of warmer weather on the horizon?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Grand sunny day and remained dry during daylight hours today in Tralee, bit cloudier tonight with a few big clouds producing rain off the coast, Pic of the clouds giving radar returns clouds just now looking W

NK7nJZM.png

1iDdY8I.jpg?1

• Advertisement

Woke up this morning and checked the forecast. very cold with heavy showers etc etc... I have to say it turned into a beautiful sunny day here in Mayo with brightness still left after 9pm. Lovely starry night here now with coastguard helicopter r118 in the distance carrying out some training approaches to the hospital in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Awwww - Nephin :-)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A cold night/morning!

Dublin AP, Casement, Dunsany, Gurteen, Markree and Mt Dillion all reporting -4c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Calm clear crisp morning, overnight low -1.1C here in south Dublin. Perfect long run day conditions, sipping a coffee now and looking forward to it :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes only bleedin' gorgeous in Dublin. A mildly hungover run in the park is in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

Met Eireann say remaining unsettled with low pressure dominating but I beg to differ. I think it will be a dry week after tomorrow.

Missing the showers here in Castlebar once again with long spells of sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

[QUO TE=Oscar Bravo;116845328]Missing the showers here in Castlebar once again with long spells of sunshine[/QUOTE]

Yet just over here, dark deluges of icy stuff!

Out of nowhere a sudden big squall; wind and hail. Then calmer again. And sounds like rain.. Dramatic stuff these days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

Sudden hailstone shower in East Clare, lasted 1 minute max..sunny again now !!

• Advertisement

Beautiful day here near Arklow out of the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

This week was much better than forecast....next weeks weather might not be as bad as forecast either

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Hooter23 wrote: »
    This week was much better than forecast....next weeks weather might not be as bad as forecast either

Just 6.2mm here this month so far and the ground drying all the time, saw some ploughed fields today here near Tralee and the earth was like powder, been cold but a steady enough low humidity N'ly breeze for much of the week. Really cold in the breeze this evening at 4.8C

Pic: early afternoon near Tralee

XU4HDqr.jpg?1

Just 6.2mm here this month so far and the ground drying all the time, saw some ploughed fields today here near Tralee and the earth was like powder, been cold but a steady enough low humidity N'ly breeze for much of the week. Really cold in the breeze this evening at 4.8C

It has been colder out here than ever I remember it in the five years I have been here. A raw biting insidious chill. And never needed fires in April before. Longing for it to ease off. Old bones are cold bones....

West mayo offshore

Graces7 wrote: »

It has been colder out here than ever I remember it in the five years I have been here. A raw biting insidious chill. And never needed fires in April before. Longing for it to ease off. Old bones are cold bones....

West mayo offshore

Yea, fire lit again here tonight. Tired of the cold now, couldn't even face doing a few jobs outside this afternoon. Cool enough until about Tuesday ( a bit better along the S ) and then a modest temp rise at that, Temp better again towards the weekend getting up to the mid teens but all the while frosty nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Was a lovely day in the garden, again. We have a lot of shelter from NE and N winds so its a nice sun trap on days like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes any wind without West in its title means plenty of sun in Sligo...even Northerly. Ben Bulben stops most of the showers.

A bit more Northwesterly tomorrow so could be more showers in Sligo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Temperatures are very stubborn tonight, not sure what the difference is.

Last night we had a rapid drop with stronger winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

Literally just snowed for 5/10 minutes here in Portmarnock. Cars are white!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Temperatures are very stubborn tonight, not sure what the difference is.

Last night we had a rapid drop with stronger winds.

Here at Katesbridge (Co.Down) temps got down to -7C and i see some of my plants in the shed have a few withered leaves today.

PS. On your thread that was cancelled i`d take this bit of advice that was posted
    " You should write to Met Eireann or the UK Met Office for the advice you are looking for since you rejected (after asking) any given here. Both orgs are very friendly and accommodating to all sorts of queries and will help out as much as possible. For example, I have asked the UK Met for help with access to data/charts etc a couple of times and even though I am out of their jurisdiction, they were wonderfully helpful. Same with Met Eireann. If they can help you out in anyway at all, they will and then some"

Go along with this, you`ll get to know people within UKMO and MetEir, they will through time give you advice on job prospects and how to go about things. Old saying in obtaining employment Its not what you know its Who you know.

Good Luck.

Advertisement