Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk of Low Level snow showers in Ulster and W/NW Connaught on Friday Morning/Night

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Got down to 1.7c in that shower, very cold airmass! Was definitely some lighter snowflakes at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

stones of hail

Newcastle Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭xabi

Hail/sleet shower Cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Marble sized hail in D24

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

Snow showers and sunshine in Tuam !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Hail and sleet mix now in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭typhoony

suprised they never give warnings when heavy hail is forecasted, there's already been a accident on the motorway near Ennis, can be lethal if people are driving even at normal speeds

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

typhoony wrote: »
    suprised they never give warnings when heavy hail is forecasted, there's already been a accident on the motorway near Ennis, can be lethal if people are driving even at normal speeds

They have had RSA ads running on radio about hail showers.

Slight dusting above 200 metres. Wonder how much people will receive tonight as the airmass will be colder?

https://streamable.com/q3lxup

UPV7MJO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Darwin

Just had crazy wind gusts, thunder and lightning nearby, hailstones and now its pegging down snow. Just missing a tornado and a heatwave to cover all weather bases.

• Advertisement

As many you know it’s been snowing in the W and NW at times this morning. What’s odd is the conditions, temps are around 1-3c during the showers which is usually fine for snow.

However, the dew point where I am is 0.5-1c and wet bulb is 1-2c.

At times I have heavy big fluffy flakes, so not just graupel. This is very odd as usually the parameters for snow absolutely require a negative wet bulb.

I have in the past had rain with temps of 1-1.5c, even lower due to a positive dew point and wet bulb.

So what has caused this oddity today? How are the snowflakes getting down to sea level without melting?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I was not expecting reports of snow during the day. These place must be on high ground?

I was not expecting reports of snow during the day. These place must be on high ground?

No it’s snowing here down to sea level...despite the positive dew point and wet bulb. Very unusual.

Temps drop significantly in the showers.

Why did you delete my thread? It’s an interesting discussion.

Snow with positive and wet bulb temperatures.

Mod Note: No need for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    No it’s snowing here down to sea level...despite the positive dew point and wet bulb. Very unusual.

Temps drop significantly in the showers.

Oh.
    Is it due to evaporative cooling during the heavy showers?

Why did you delete my thread? It’s an interesting discussion.

Clutter. Interesting discussion, yes, but no need for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Vicious showers of hail and sleet in Galway.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Is the warm sector further south than predicted?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

As many you know it’s been snowing in the W and NW at times this morning. What’s odd is the conditions, temps are around 1-3c during the showers which is usually fine for snow.

However, the dew point where I am is 0.5-1c and wet bulb is 1-2c.

At times I have heavy big fluffy flakes, so not just graupel. This is very odd as usually the parameters for snow absolutely require a negative wet bulb.

I have in the past had rain with temps of 1-1.5c, even lower due to a positive dew point and wet bulb.

So what has caused this oddity today? How are the snowflakes getting down to sea level without melting?

The convective downdrafts are dragging colder and drier air down from upper levels, so within these there is almost a micro-climate where snow can survive down to the ground. That's why when it comes to snow there are several factors to consider and not just raw model output.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Aerodrome warnings for Derry Eglinton.
    Thunderstorm
    Issued at: Fri 26 Mar 2021 - 11:32 UTC
    Valid from: Fri 26 Mar 2021 - 12:00 UTC
    Valid to: Fri 26 Mar 2021 - 18:00 UTC
    THUNDERSTORMS WITH HAIL ARE LIKELY TO AFFECT THE AIRFIELD AT TIMES.

Snow
    Issued at: Fri 26 Mar 2021 - 11:32 UTC
    Valid from: Fri 26 Mar 2021 - 20:00 UTC
    Valid to: Sat 27 Mar 2021 - 00:00 UTC
    SLIGHT SNOW MAY OCCUR AT THE AIRFIELD BUT NO SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED.

Snow
    Issued at: Fri 26 Mar 2021 - 05:36 UTC
    Valid from: Fri 26 Mar 2021 - 12:00 UTC
    Valid to: Fri 26 Mar 2021 - 18:00 UTC
    SLIGHT SNOW MAY OCCUR AT THE AIRFIELD BUT NO SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Apart from 2 showers sunny all day so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Artane2002

just had a wintry shower of hail and sleet in Dublin 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Showers are back to sleety rain here now, the light covering this morning is all gone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Showers are back to sleety rain here now, the light covering this morning is all gone

Dare I say...Warm sector?

Great warm sector here. Sunny and dry for hours. clouding over now though. 7c

It is very much a day of wintry showers and sunshine. We are obviously in the milder air now though it is still snowing at 400m. And still bitter in the wind.

Nw6Vj2R.jpg

Snowing/graupel at sea

dYGNoB6.jpg
    JMahX3I.jpg

A day of two halves.
    Df5EGcD.jpg
    itRbnLW.jpg
    a1xVlhj.jpg
    RUY8cJk.jpg
    3Nr3ym4.jpg

Looking forward to snow showers tonight as upper winds swing to the NW. Maybe we’ll even get a covering.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hail/sleet showers turned into a snow shower, high ground north east Kilkenny.

I dont know about snow this evening. The cold has gone North in the warm sector and when it returns this evening it wont be as far South as it was this morning. Maybe Ulster only.

• Advertisement

pauldry wrote: »
    I dont know about snow this evening. The cold has gone North in the warm sector and when it returns this evening it wont be as far South as it was this morning. Maybe Ulster only.

The airmass is colder this evening.

Advertisement