Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Risk of Low Level snow showers in Ulster and W/NW Connaught on Friday Morning/Night

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

mcburns07 wrote: »
    The bar is low

What bar is low?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    What bar is low?

The reliability of weather sayings.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Nice bit of snow, from Navan to Mountmellick, back in 2017, March 27th to be precise. As I recall from my commute.
    Right behind an artic at Trim when it shimmied on the heavy fast falling snow, then quivered and BANg over it went onto its roof, the full length of it down into a field.
    Lots of slagging and laughing before we departed Navan that evening on our commutes. I was driving a quite sporty GT with 235 low profiles. That lacked bite. But got home. Actually maybe it was the 26th and I took a snow day on the 27th. I think it was still blocking the fast lane on the M6 Kilbeggan to Kinnegad the following day again. Found out later that a woman had died in a freak crash in Navan that evening as that blizzard fell. And it was blizzard-like. It was ferocious and sudden.
    Agree with the Op, about this potentially catching people by surprise. Even seasoned weather freaks. What many want, and what Nature instead serves up, are often at odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,820 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Rain after turning to light snow falling here , Portlaoise .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Should be a mix of hail, sleet and snow in these big showers that heading for clare/galway coast in the next 2 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

Snow on the ground in Co Sligo (light dusting)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Had some sleet in East Galway early this morning, very heavy hail just passing over the city now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Decent dusting of snow in Letterkenny this morning. Heavy graupel shower at the moment with some snow in the mix

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Reports of hail on the motorway near Ennis car already crashed supposed to be like a skate rink

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Covering of hail/ sleet in the grass here in SW Donegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭highdef

Sleet and hail mix in North Kildare. 2.3° and falling

Should there not have been a yellow warning for this?

Its dangerous enough by the sounds of things

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭highdef

Moderate snow in North Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Reports of hail on the motorway near Ennis car already crashed supposed to be like a skate rink

People just don't learn

• Registered Users Posts: 32,974 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Heavy hailstone shower in North Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

The colder air was quite noticeable in Mayo this morning. Plenty of bright blue skies but some really well defined and impressive shower clouds coming in from the west that were nicely illuminated by the morning sun. A bit of a wintry dusting on Nephin and some of the other higher peaks. I could also see plenty of white glistening in the morning sunshine along the tops of the Sheaffry mountains way off in the distance.

attachment.php?attachmentid=548161&stc=1&d=1616751922

All of the showers are bypassing me. Thankfully the wind will turn NW tonight when the colder air comes in, and the rest of us will get a chance after Donegal stops hogging it all.

Anyway not sure how low level areas are recording snow yet as wet bulbs are very high. The main snow risk will be tonight after 8pm.

Spoke too soon very heavy graupel here, despite a 2c wet bulb temperature odd. Temperature dropping rapidly 2.9c

https://streamable.com/3cq9kr

Bodes well for tonight.

3GBmDLd.png

I wonder if there are heavy downdrafts? Hence the snow at positive dew points at wet bulb temps?

• Advertisement

If I can't have heat then this is my next favorite weather, deep blue skies interrupted by black high level convective showers, the cold is somewhat tempered during the sunny periods. Heat from the sun inside he house is unreal

heavy hail here just now. So far netweather has all showers green and some pink bits in between. Therefore very few rain showers

The hills have a good covering of snow here now.

Snow on the hills near Loughrea

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Light to moderate sleet/graupel near Roscrea 3.5’C

EDIT Now proper snow 2.7°C

Seven Worlds will Collide

pauldry wrote: »
    heavy hail here just now. So far netweather has all showers green and some pink bits in between. Therefore very few rain showers

Yes which his odd given that these conditions would normally yield rain.

temperature fell from 5c down to 2c and then back up to 5c before after that heavy hail shower that just passed through South Galway, more action out in the Atlantic, seems to be taking it's time to reach the coast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I wonder if there are heavy downdrafts? Hence the snow at positive dew points at wet bulb temps?

Yeah definitely the heavy showers pulling colder air down. Showers are starting off as hail/sleet here but transitioning to graupel then full on snow on the back edge

Edit: 'Dinner plates' here now!

typhoony wrote: »
    temperature fell from 5c down to 2c and then back up to 5c before after that heavy hail shower that just passed through South Galway, more action out in the Atlantic, seems to be taking it's time to reach the coast

That is the warm sector that I mentioned. Colder air will return after 6pm.. with a greater chance of low level snow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Slieve Mish Mts here in Kerry with a good coating already this morning.

ElyFHmE.jpg?3

Advertisement