Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

waterways wrote: »
    People were asked to move to the hillsides this morning, luckily before part of the crater gave way for a new lava flow

https://www.ruv.is/frett/2021/03/21/gigbarmurinn-gefur-sig-og-ny-hraunrennslisaed-myndast

Many people are close to the magma this evening. The wind is easing. It is a closed valley and there is a lot gas. Would like to see people going a bit more up the hill.
    I see on that same news site. Someone pitched a tent beside the crater site for the night.
    And the president of Iceland flew in to view the eruption on a coastguard helicopter this morning and have a bit of a walk around.
    Then all the cars parked on the roads in the areas not blocked by the civil defence and hiking for hours through the night to get to the site.

As posted above lava to Icelanders must be what snow is to the Irish. Mad stuff altogether.
    There's no warning not to do it from the government just a warning for people to be careful and dress appropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A refreshing lack of nanny stateism. Whereas here, public servants assume the mantle of having greater intelligence and better educations and reasoning powers than the general populace.

• cnocbui wrote: »
    A refreshing lack of nanny stateism. Whereas here, public servants assume the mantle of having greater intelligence and better educations and reasoning powers than the general populace.
    Well at least their facemasks will actually be doing something for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

Skyhunter wrote: »

Wow, that's great footage! This isn't as dramatic but it's a local journalist speaking from the scene in English on Saturday - interesting too. Right up close at 6 minutes.
    https://youtu.be/f3BD8vqYTho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Gamergurll

cnocbui wrote: »
    A lot of that footage was shot with a long focal length lens which tends to foreshorten distances, so waht appears to be over their heads is severl hundred metres behind them. The drone/chopper footage shows it better.

Thanks that was helpful, I was trying to figure out if standing near it isn't as scary as the movies make out but that makes no sense lol, it's an erupting volcano! I got a surprise when I found out a person won't just melt in the lava 😂

Anyway.. The views from the webcam are amazing, I would love to see it in person.. How long would it normally erupt for or can they predict it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Geologist from previous video posted said months maybe even 6 or more.

Mo sheacht mbeannacht oraibh... to the folks in Isolfsskali... may it miss where you live, when/if the lava eventually arrives nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,925 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My dad visited Iceland in 1974 I think, not long after the last major eruptions, brought back loads of bits of hardened lava.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gamergurll wrote:
    Thanks that was helpful, I was trying to figure out if standing near it isn't as scary as the movies make out but that makes no sense lol, it's an erupting volcano! I got a surprise when I found out a person won't just melt in the lava 😂

Ah you couldn't stand too close to them without heat proof protection, I was standing next to a small trickle of lava before, the heat was unnatural, boots were actually starting to melt, due to the heat of the ground, as there was active lava tubes under us, amazing experience though. If lava was passing over your head, you d be dead, no way you could get that close, lava bombs were getting close to me before though, on another volcano, dangerous stuff, if one of them hit you, that's it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Can't believe this was 11 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Gamergurll

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Ah you couldn't stand too close to them without heat proof protection, I was standing next to a small trickle of lava before, the heat was unnatural, boots were actually starting to melt, due to the heat of the ground, as there was active lava tubes under us, amazing experience though. If lava was passing over your head, you d be dead, no way you could get that close, lava bombs were getting close to me before though, on another volcano, dangerous stuff, if one of them hit you, that's it

That's why I was scratching my head lol, tourists can do crazy sh*t for photos but not that crazy lol! That must have been an awesome experience, scary though :)

It's really after spewing overnight, a lot of where the people were standing is gone and everywhere is white Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Gamergurll wrote: »
    That's why I was scratching my head lol, tourists can do crazy sh*t for photos but not that crazy lol! That must have been an awesome experience, scary though :)

It's really after spewing overnight, a lot of where the people were standing is gone and everywhere is white Ash

It was snowing heavily earlier on.

Gamergurll wrote:
    That's why I was scratching my head lol, tourists can do crazy sh*t for photos but not that crazy lol! That must have been an awesome experience, scary though

People certainly are pushing boundaries in dangerous situations, in order to get the shot, I was with a couple of pro photographers years ago on another volcano, we were extremely close to pyroclastic flows, a change in conditions, and we would have been well cooked. yea they were amazing experiences, I'd highly recommend it, some great tour companies and people our there, that will get you close to the action, even though I have done it alone, I would recommend going with someone that knows the area, a tour guide did pull me away from an eruption one evening, bombs were just too close for comfort

surely ta god the drone must have been destroyed after this one

https://twitter.com/i/status/1373787472493170695

• Whoever was controlling that was clearly willing to sacrifice it for the final shots.

Gamergurll wrote: »
    Thanks that was helpful, I was trying to figure out if standing near it isn't as scary as the movies make out but that makes no sense lol, it's an erupting volcano! I got a surprise when I found out a person won't just melt in the lava ��

Anyway.. The views from the webcam are amazing, I would love to see it in person.. How long would it normally erupt for or can they predict it?

At least one geologist in Iceland thinks this could be the start of a 200 year period of activity in that they believe there is a historical record of such on-off cycling stretching back in time.

surely ta god the drone must have been destroyed after this one

https://twitter.com/i/status/1373787472493170695

Link's dead.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Link's dead.

loads of them popping up on youtube now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Volcanic induced thunder from eruption in Guatemala earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Zh8EYJ99g

New Moon

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

namloc1980 wrote: »

That’s just glorious. Have watched it a dozen times today.

And have this link open on my tablet as I potter around the house;
    https://www.ruv.is/frett/2021/03/20/beint-vefstreymi-fra-eldstodvunum?rtype=news&slot=1&term=vefmyndav%C3%A9l

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Some nice close-up footage of the collapse of the side of the cone. Jump to 24:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭waterways

Am I right in saying they think this will be erupting long term, seriously thinking of going up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

Am I right in saying they think this will be erupting long term, seriously thinking of going up there?

Apparently they are expecting it go for at least a few weeks/months. See a new fissure opened up today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

GeologyHub , of which I am just newly aware of, has stated that he and other geologists think it might erupt for years to come, see the video below....

We might be able to get a group rate :D

https://youtu.be/Bmf7RoHKvHU

Skyhunter wrote:
    Same thought crossed my mind. Had a look at flights with Icelandair at the end of the month. Roughly €100 return. But Covid

I 'll be vaxed in a few weeks, so summer/Autumn could be for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

La Soufrière volcano in Caribbean is after erupting:

https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1380523509592514560

Hopefully the evacuation warnings issued last night got people to safety considering how small the island is

Advertisement