Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,122 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Joeface wrote: »
    this is stupid , Russell is a Williams driver , he shouldn't be allowed move teams for one race. Even more so with Covid moving form what is essentially one team bubble to another .

Vandoorne is the reserve driver , I really hope its just media boredom .

Maybe Hamilton has told Merc he is off into the sunset........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Yes he has won it, but has he been crowned the Champion for this yr, is that not technically done at the end of the seaon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

A lot of the current speculation is coming from English based journalists and magazines who not so long ago had illot as favourite for Haas.

Russell to swap for the weekend is possible but what's the real upside ? - ignore the bs being written about improving the standing of Williams - Bottas is locked in at Mercedes and Russell is locked in at Williams. Mercedes would have all the information they need on his potential.

What I am finding most unusual is that Mercedes are giving the impression that they had no plans in place for a positive Covid test - that's not how they work and the cynic in me thinks this is all good publicity for F1 and Mercedes during the post race quiet period.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Yes he has won it, but has he been crowned the Champion for this yr, is that not technically done at the end of the seaon?

Who can catch him. :pac:

They gave him the golden P1 at Turkey for TV.

I don't think the FIA will have the Gala this year so it will just show up in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Sunday’s race will be the first time since 2017 that the defending champion won’t take part in a race, and only the second time since 1994, on that occasion after Imola there was no past or present champion.

That's wrong do the second part. Sebastian Vettel and Kimi are both past Champions so it is wrong.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

AMKC wrote: »
    That's wrong do the second part. Sebastian Vettel and Kimi are both past Champions so it is wrong.

I think they mean that after Senna died in Imola, there was no champion on the grid at the next race. Correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Read it again.

I think they mean that after Senna died in Imola, there was no champion on the grid at the next race. Correct?

Spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Infoanon wrote: »
    Russell to swap for the weekend is possible but what's the real upside ? - ignore the bs being written about improving the standing of Williams - Bottas is locked in at Mercedes and Russell is locked in at Williams. Mercedes would have all the information they need on his potential.

You can never have enough information.

Another upside is they get to try out their next in line for a seat as Toto calls him.

Williams gets money from Mercedes for Russell and money from whatever pay driver they take on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I can see the cruel world of Motorsport unfolding now.

Russell gets given the Merc. Well in the points. Engine failure with 4 laps to go.
    Latifi up from 11th to 10th for Williams first points in donkeys.

Heartbreak for Russell haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Spot on

Awe ok. So if Imola 94 was one time when was the other time there was no F1 champion on the grid?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Awe ok. So if Imola 94 was one time when was the other time there was no F1 champion on the grid?

They said defending champion, not any champion. Rosberg retired after winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I thought it was a trick question.

Answer 1950.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

VW announced it’s pulling out of all motorsport. It had previously said it’s pulling out of internal combustion engine sports to focus on electric powered cars. But yesterday Audi announced it’s leaving FE and today VE made the broader announcement.

It might be limited to other motorsports but I think this is part of a trend (which includes Honda pulling out of F1). Nobody has sold cars in the last year. Ot must be hard to justify motorsport programmes when there’s probably a global recession coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Audi had been rumoured to quit Formula E this year but when the new gen car was postponed they opted for one more year. There time in FE was limited once Porsche joined the grid. Volkswagen didn't need them competing with eachother so Audi's departure was planned before Covid.

Jenson Button has let Mercedes know he is available. Mostly as a joke but I don't think he would say know if he was asked. It created one of the best Twitter threads I've ever seen. They wrote out Jensen asking for a drive and getting rejected in the style of Eminem - Stan.

Also a few people calling for Rosberg, Alonso, Verstappen or Vettel to get the drive.

Rosberg started a petition for Russell to get the drive.

The above is mostly all nonsense but fun to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I want Hulk in the car.

No, post Imola 1994 the rest of that season was bar the 4 races Mansell drove in

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭racersedge

F1 Twitter states Russell confirmed in the Merc. Aitken in the Williams. Stoffel mans the waffle stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Aitken will be driving the Williams and Russell the Mercedes
    https://www.williamsf1.com/news/2020/12/j

• Registered Users Posts: 11,122 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I don't think f1 drivers should be allowed to go from one team to another just for one race, f1 teams should have to use their reserve driver or one that isn't part of a team. I hope Russell gets a good result this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

Crofty will be more unbearable. Mr Saturday will need to be mr Sunday also

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Hope Russell does well. Would be nice to see him get a podium.

He has a 50-50 chance of winning. Let's be honest, it's between him and Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Now the big question - can he maintain his 100% qualifying performance against a teammate?

Top Dog wrote: »
    Now the big question - can he maintain his 100% qualifying performance against a teammate?

I’m going to say no. He’ll be beaten by Bottas and Verstappen in qualifying. As we know the Mercedes doesn’t like traffic, so if Russell starts third that’s going to be it unless something happens in front of him. Also worth noting will Latifi out qualify Aitken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

A further announcement is looming for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I don't get the point of a reserve driver now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jv2000

I don't get the point of a reserve driver now.

I think most teams assume they will never need to use their reserve driver. This year has really caught them out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement