Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Synthesizer for making electro/techno music??

• 20-08-2009 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi,
    I'm looking to start making some electro and techno music and was wondering what would be a good synthesizer to buy??

I have been leaning towards the Korg Microkorg but want to know if this is the best option or is there anything better out there??

I'm only starting out so I don't intend on spending a whole lot yet but I still want a fairly good synth!

sorry yes electro house!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Tis a pretty vague question (and I'm definitely not the person to answer it), but you could really do with elaborating about what kind of music you want to make...
    I presume by electro you mean electro house?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mr Floyd

I'm sure the Micro korg would be suitable for your needs, also there might be synths for sale on the likes of buy and sell/ebay/gumtree etc. look out for the likes of a Roland JP8000/8080, Nord Lead, Access Virus, Novation Nova/supernova, other Korg stuff. The only bad thing i've heard about the micro korg is that the keys are quite small but they can produce great sounds, but electro house...ah nothin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Mr Floyd wrote: »
    I'm sure the Micro korg would be suitable for your needs, also there might be synths for sale on the likes of buy and sell/ebay/gumtree etc. look out for the likes of a Roland JP8000/8080, Nord Lead, Access Virus, Novation Nova/supernova, other Korg stuff. The only bad thing i've heard about the micro korg is that the keys are quite small but they can produce great sounds, but electro house...ah nothin!

Don't forget our very own Adverts.ie (link at the top of this page)
    There should be plenty of synths in the Musical instruments section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

any midi enabled keyboard and a copy of Reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

tman wrote: »
    I presume by electro you mean electro house?

kraftwerk would have been classed as electro so its a pretty wide scoped genre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭shayleon

Check the scope platform.

I have the PulsarII, and the bundled synths with it are awesome.
    There is also a modular synth with it. It has it's own processors, so no latency.

The PulsarII is OLD. they have the excite now which is much better.

http://www.sonic-core.net/en/home/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Microkorg is nothing more than a toy, if your buying a synth buy a high end one if possible, if you cant afford it try get the Korg R3 or a similar synth, but its pretty costly getting a setup together, do you have Monitor?(studio speakers), your best bet might be going software with a cheap midi keyboardif you dont have cash - Reason is popular but to be honest the sound engine in my opinion is flawed, id go with cubase or logic even PT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

it depends what your budget is.......you can get a microkorg or alesis micron for around 400euro....they are both ok...

but you could have everything you want with the roland V-synth, or access virus....but they are way more expensive....

if you are starting out with making your own sounds..and you own a computer...i recommend as mentioned you get a cheap midi keyboard and buy a copy of an easy to use soft synth like reason, absynth, vanguard, albino etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mr Floyd

You could go with Reason, hardware guy myself but one of my favourite producers - Claro Intellecto does all his work on Reason and his stuff is amazing. A midi keyboard and the latest Reason/Logic/Ableton and your laughing, you could then pick up some hardware synths as you learn, lots of 2nd hand bargains to be got.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭shayleon

you can try FL Studio for free, and licensing it is pretty cheap too.

Also Cockos reaper is free/cheap alternative to Cubase.

As was said before - don't forget to invest in decent monitors.

HTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

it depends what your budget is.......you can get a microkorg or alesis micron for around 400euro....they are both ok...

but you could have everything you want with the roland V-synth, or access virus....but they are way more expensive....

if you are starting out with making your own sounds..and you own a computer...i recommend as mentioned you get a cheap midi keyboard and buy a copy of an easy to use soft synth like reason, absynth, vanguard, albino etc....
    You could pick up a micron for alot cheaper than that, more like 230-250. Actually you could pick up an Ion for probably 350 nowadays.

yea i heard the price is going down with them........the micron is good ( i own one)...but i would'nt recommend it to someone starting out...The screen is too small (big major negative imo)...very tough to edit a synth with 3 oscillators, a rake of filters and a bout 200 parameter options with a screen thats smaller than a packet of juicy fruit........i know you can get computer interface but you should'nt have to in the first place.,........i actually find the korg prophecy easier to program! god i love the prophecy....some things on it have'nt been matched since.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Mr Floyd wrote: »
    You could go with Reason, hardware guy myself but one of my favourite producers - Claro Intellecto does all his work on Reason and his stuff is amazing. A midi keyboard and the latest Reason/Logic/Ableton and your laughing, you could then pick up some hardware synths as you learn, lots of 2nd hand bargains to be got.

Most pro's who use reason import samples into it from their hard synths!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

yea i heard the price is going down with them........the micron is good ( i own one)...but i would'nt recommend it to someone starting out...The screen is too small (big major negative imo)...very tough to edit a synth with 3 oscillators, a rake of filters and a bout 200 parameter options with a screen thats smaller than a packet of juicy fruit........i know you can get computer interface but you should'nt have to in the first place.,........i actually find the korg prophecy easier to program! god i love the prophecy....some things on it have'nt been matched since.....
    I've thought of getting a micron or ion before but it just never happened, I think I will get an Ion some day when I have the funds. I got a prophecy a while back and it just didn't click with me at all. Couldn't get into programming it cos I didn't find it enjoyable to play with.
    Sometimes you just don't click with a synth. I think I prefer more immediate hands on control. But to answer the OP, my first synth was a JP8000 and I found alot of fun to learn on and program, I did eventually sell it on but I thoroughly enjoyed using it when I had it. So that would be my reccomendation, you could probably pick one up now for 400 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭synesthesia

I have a microkorg and i love it - easy and i like the base ... softwarewise I use to use my MS20 controller + the korg legacy plugins - really good sound, really great - but the vst don't work on macintel ( i have the controller but not a license for the software )

I use a Yamaha an200 too, but the sound isa bit particular - but i like :)

I have a microkorg and i love it - easy and i like the base ... softwarewise I use to use my MS20 controller + the korg legacy plugins - really good sound, really great - but the vst don't work on macintel ( i have the controller but not a license for the software )

I use a Yamaha an200 too, but the sound isa bit particular - but i like :)

legacy kicks ass....love the strings and hybrid patches.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dawgie2009

What about Korg M3/M50? Yamaha Tyros 3/Tyros 2? they're amazingly expensive but do they worth it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

Electro house uses loads of samples and sample mangling, so get a decent
    sequencer like reaper and a copy of Glitch, a free plug in,
    Better off spending your euros on speakers and a controller keyboard,
    as for work stations like the trintons etc, they're aimed more at people who want traditional instruments to do demo's of songs they've written,
    think Paulo Nutini etc. Not Eric Prydz and other big electro house names.

Advertisement