Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail jobs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Clever8619

Alot of people here are looking for reassurance more so than fact.

Fact is no one on here can determine if your too unfit or unsuited to the job. Go through it stage by stage and wait, be patient and get on with your lives. So much yabbering and nonsense on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

blueband wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter what the criteria are, quite simply HR themselves told me this at the phase 2, I believe I was in pre-fab 9 at the time, it wasn't Laura the younger blonde lady, it was the dark haired older lady, I'm going to say Sinead was her name but I'm not 100% certain

You can choose to believe your own conjecture or the facts that I got from HR, thats up to you.
    I'm actually a bit surprised at the amount of people on this thread who put forward opinion or assumption as fact. It reduces it's helpfulness to be honest. If you're expressing an opinion it would be better to state it, otherwise people are being misled.

I wont bother replying to the points you make other than to say regulars on here know my position in relation to IE and it's employment issues and that my information is always sound, information which I receive as official correspondence from IE and their unions through the states industrial relations mechanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭blueband

GM228 wrote: »
    I wont bother replying to the points you make other than to say regulars on here know my position in relation to IE and it's employment issues and that my information is always sound, information which I receive as official correspondence from IE and their unions through the states industrial relations mechanism.

I was simply pointing out what I was told directly by HR, which was not in line with the information you posted. I see no reason why HR would give incorrect information about something as trivial as the order of medical vs interview in the recruitment process, yet you seem to have taken some offence to your information being challenged as being incorrect.
    Whatever. I don't really care, but I don't see what my point has to do with any insider knowledge you have on the industrial relations mechanisms, this isn't the WRC or LRC being discusssed in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

No news on the Eastern front at the moment

Only a stab in the dark but I imagine they are waiting on a certain number of medicals to be done before starting the interview process ?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭CiboC

Same here, I've heard nothing since the 'can you do a last minute medical?' email last week.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

CiboC wrote: »
    Same here, I've heard nothing since the 'can you do a last minute medical?' email last week.....

I get the feeling they will get a certain amount from the medicals and dedicate 2 or 3 days just to do interviews.

Then from there get a class together.

Hopefully we'll hear this week or next week at latest if they want classes starting in March !

Enough to give notice etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Surely it would be in their own best interests to do the medical on every who got that far. Maybe there is a born train driver in the group that hasn't had a medical yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ais123

There’s more medicals at the end of this month. They will interview everyone that got this far. Why else spend money examining everyone if they were just going to take the first few that showed up for a medical.

They may well interview some before they’ve had their medical as a previous poster mentioned they had pre booked medical slots when the campaign started, so you don’t necessarily need to pass the medical before you sit an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Dazice wrote: »
    I had a medical on Wednesday, and the follow was carried out

With Nurse;
    1. Questionaire about health. whether you ever had concussion/were in the army/have any heart or head issues
    2. height and weight, my bmi was 27 and she said that was fine.
    3. pin prick test for diabeties, drugs.
    4. ECG
    5. hearing test in sound proof booth.

Then you visit the Doc;
    6. Left and Right eye sight test.
    7. Another eye sight test to read different grey shades of letters
    8. Colour blind booklet.
    9. Checks stomach and sides while on the table
    10. reflexes check with hammer to the knee
    11. then doc asks questions and reviews info from nurse.

if all is well you are given a clean bill of health.

Was that with the grumpy one with glasses? 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Toashty91

I emailed yesterday morning asking about more medical appointments, got an email back saying they haven't any more medicals yet but would be in touch with candidates regarding next steps which doesn't sound overly promising. Unless people bomb the interviews we may be waiting a while :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ais123

Toashty91 wrote: »
    I emailed yesterday morning asking about more medical appointments, got an email back saying they haven't any more medicals yet but would be in touch with candidates regarding next steps which doesn't sound overly promising. Unless people bomb the interviews we may be waiting a while :(

Oh :( I got an email telling me the end of the month but that was last week.

No I’m a little worried

Toashty91 wrote: »
    Unless people bomb the interviews we may be waiting a while :(
    Ais123 wrote: »
    Oh :( I got an email telling me the end of the month but that was last week.

No I’m a little worried

I don't think anyone has actually had interviews yet though? I wouldn't worry, the plan may have been to do medicals after the interviews (remember the email specifically pointed out that 'attending for medical is one part of the selection process and does not indicate any potential offer'.

They may have had some free slots for medicals prebooked to use up, but many of us who are still in the process may be called for interview first and then medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

I did the Phase 2 on Wednesday but the pf16 wasn't done as they said no time. it's being done this week before any word on medical

That could explain things then, we ran overtime when we did the Phase 2 as well. They are probably waiting for your group to finish their tests so they know how many people have to be scheduled for medicals and interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ravanelli

I did the phase 2 online test there last month for Dublin and still haven't heard anything. I'd be unlikely to leave the Civil Service for Irish Rail with the long term considered tbh but still I'd prefer to hear I didn't get it sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Any progress outside of Dublin yet for anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭md323

GaGa21 wrote: »

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭annor99

GaGa21 wrote: »

Not that I know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

Has anyone from Galway gotten past stage 2?

Very strange that no one I’ve spoken to or on here with Galway as their depot has even heard back from IE since stage 2 online assessments.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ColdTurkey

Still nothing in Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Did you not receive an email stating you would be contacted in 4-6 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

Mc Love wrote: »

No one that I know has. Not from Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Mc Love wrote:

I put Galway as my choice and got the 4-6 week email.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DAgr1mT0K3r

I put Galway as my choice and got the 4-6 week email.

Same as

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

An unqualified observation but Galway does not strike me as a depot with a shortage of staff so it could be some time before drivers are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭seanbrady49

I'm in Galway, Stage 2 done, nothing since and like Jamie2k9 says no shortage of staff in Galway, not only that but they are looking for a majority of women 60/40 i gather, also been told that getting a job in galway means knowing someone inside, slight bit of nepotism so not gonna hold out much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Just got an email there. Haven’t heard anything since completing stage 2 at home tests. Saying they have progressed with stronger applications and my application will be kept on file.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Same. 26000 people applied and my test will be valid for up to two years in a stringent ranking system under which I could then be called upon for further advancement.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Welcome to the world of panels, not really found outside the public sector and semi-states.

The reducing returns towards the end of a normal panel must make life hell for HR staff, having to contact tens of people for everyone one still interested - but I suspect the draw to this job means more people will be happy to get the call months to years later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

Got the same email. Doesn't sound too promising

Advertisement