Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Working on Cork-Dublin train

• 11-02-2019 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

hi, going to be travelling from Cork to Dublin on the train a bit for work now. Any tips for how to make the most productive use of that time, seats to avoid, etc etc? Will have laptop with me so I should be able to get some work done. Likely to be early trains up (e.g. 6:15 or 7 am) and down late afternoon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

If work are paying, get the first class tickets. I'd think most carriages would be grand at the times you're travelling, you can just be unlucky though with some muppet not using headphones or some kid watching peppa pig on a tablet with an ignorant parent not caring about anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Don't think 1st is an option under our travel policy any more sadly!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If work are paying, get the first class tickets. I'd think most carriages would be grand at the times you're travelling, you can just be unlucky though with some muppet not using headphones or some kid watching peppa pig on a tablet with an ignorant parent not caring about anyone else.

Its *always* Peppa Pig too. Its as if the entire corpus of childrens animation before and indeed coincident has been erased and there is only one, particularly irritating to hear, cartoon left.

Hope some staff of Iaranród Eireann looks in on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hope some staff of Iaranród Eireann looks in on this thread.

They announced yesterday that they are hiring staff to deal with antisocial behaviour. Hopefully they will start kicking people off who do not comply.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.breakingnews.ie/ireland/irish-rail-to-hire-new-staff-in-bid-to-tackle-antisocial-behaviour-903426.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

6.15 is not busy and you should take it over the 07.00 which is the busiest of the morning services.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Get Real

Del2005 wrote: »
    They announced yesterday that they are hiring staff to deal with antisocial behaviour. Hopefully they will start kicking people off who do not comply.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.breakingnews.ie/ireland/irish-rail-to-hire-new-staff-in-bid-to-tackle-antisocial-behaviour-903426.html

It's good news but not sure much can happen. Are**holes who do this type of thing, will be the same type to bring a claim/video it/ claim they have every right to do what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

From my experience of that route I'd forget trying to use the WiFi and even getting a consistent mobile signal can be an issue.

Any work you hope to do will have to be done offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Get some noise cancelling headphones, it helps with ignoring the peppa pig situation.
    Book one of the two seater bays when possible, instead of the 4 person table - people are less likely to pile in beside you.

nc6000 wrote: »
    From my experience of that route I'd forget trying to use the WiFi and even getting a consistent mobile signal can be an issue.

Any work you hope to do will have to be done offline.
    True. I even tried with my own wifi dongle and when we were out on the track in the countryside the signal would turn red: very poor indeed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement