Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M50 journey times

• 10-02-2019 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

I find the journey times on the digital displays to be inaccurate.
    Anyone notice this?
    The times between junctions are based on driving at the maximum permitted speed. A lot of drivers treat this as a target speed, rather than a speed limit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Anyone notice this?
    The times between junctions are based on driving at the maximum permitted speed. A lot of drivers treat this as a target speed, rather than a speed limit.

The times are based on measured traffic speed using ANPR as far as I know. Traffic conditions are always changing, treat the times as a guide rather than gospel and you'll do alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,870 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I find the journey times on the digital displays to be inaccurate. Anyone notice this? The times between junctions are based on driving at the maximum permitted speed. A lot of drivers treat this as a target speed, rather than a speed limit.

I don't know for sure but I always assumed that the travel times were based on the maximum speed limit. I follow a TomTom sat nav all day and the travel times seem to be based on the maximum speed limit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I've timed them doing exactly the speed limit (calibrated to my handheld GPS as the car overestimates) and they always show a few minutes longer than it actually takes. They are accurate to a point, but if congestion suddenly appears, they can get inaccurate. But it does annoy me when they just say "LONG DELAYS TO M50 J7". Of course there are long delays but please give me an estimate of how long because its on the TII website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭budgemook

Is there any resource online to get m50 journey times? I'm trying to find out how long it takes to get from Blanchardstown junction to M1 junction in the morning rush and back again in the evening. From memory I'm pretty sure south bound is worse in the morning and north bound worse in the evening but would be good to hear opinions on this. Trying to decide if working in the airport would be a good idea or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Anyone notice this?

Sure if that's the case then you're always early, not sure what your issue is?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're based on actual traffic monitored by plate cameras. Most people drive at the speed limit when conditions allow, the "it's not a target" nanny line is pointless.

It'll also fail you your driving test (for failure to make progress) on many routes where there's free flowing 60km/h zones if you are going ~45 and using the "it's not a target!" attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I've timed them doing exactly the speed limit (calibrated to my handheld GPS as the car overestimates) and they always show a few minutes longer than it actually takes.
    They will aggregate the traffic, including the traffic which has lower limits ( busses/HGVs)

Advertisement