Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycle train

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's kinda just incoherent?
    'cars kill, that means you should walk and not cycle'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Hurrache wrote: »
    I'm absolutely staggered that your post is coming from someone with a signature like yours though, demonstrates a massive ignorance when it comes to anything transport related.

For those on mobiles, this is her signature.
    interestingly, i've just learned on that galwaytransport.info site of the concept of 'tactical urbanism', of which it claims to be an example.

the weird thing is, this initiative is surely also an example of tactical urbanism. not that i know what affiliation Mrs OBumble has to the galyway transport site, but you're right in that it seems strange to hold such differing positions on the topics.

not that i know what affiliation Mrs OBumble has to the galyway transport site

She runs it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The real issue is that in this neighbourhood parents have delegated school transport to a volunteer community group. What keeps the volunteers motivated is their desire to spread the gospel of bicycling. Remove that and the programme falls apart.

This is 100% false. Disappointed as a Galway City resident that you are spreading this untruth, you need to get out to the suburbs of Galway City and meet them.
    The vast majority of the volunteers on the Cycle Bus are parents of the children.
    That is also why it will not fall apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

beauf wrote: »
    I like the way you are trying to derail this.

Can people not get overweight though home cooking?

It depends on what you cook but when I was school going my Mother
    always had a dinner on the table when we got home at 12:30 and a tea
    in the evening and we, I can assure you were not the most affluent of
    families but everything we ate was made and prepared in the home.

Today people don't make the time to make a sandwich for their own lunch!
    I don't understand the concept of the ready meal syndrome. I make my own
    sandwiches and cook my own dinners for work!

It depends on what you cook ...

I think it depends what you eat not cook.
    Lots of people don't cook that much yet are not overweight.
    Eating too much might be due to comfort eating, boredom and any number of things, mental health, depression etc.

None of that has got to do with promoting exercise for all ages especially kids. Even who are not overweight should do exercise. Its good for lots of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hurrache wrote: »
    I've no idea what points you're trying to make?

So people shouldn't bring their kids to school on bikes because it makes those who can't afford bikes feel bad?

I'm absolutely staggered that your post is coming from someone with a signature like yours though, demonstrates a massive ignorance when it comes to anything transport related.

For those on mobiles, this is her signature.

I support in this order:
    1 Walking
    2 using shared, professionally driven, vehicles
    3 using individual vehicles with amateur, but at least licensed, drivers
    4 using individual vehicles with amateur unlicensed drivers.

I do not at all support childres under age 12(*) operating vehicles on the road, no matter how they are powered.

(*) oveaseas I'd have said 10, but 12 is the RSA advice in this country.

Basically you want more traffic. Useful especially in Galway.

How about someone with a driving licence but cycling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

beauf wrote: »
    How about someone with a driving licence but cycling?

That's the third option.

I'd prefer if the person walked or caught the bus / train, because that makes for less traffic.

If they really must take a vehicle if prefer the smallest one possible given the cargo involved. Usually that would be an e-scooter or a bicycle.

I'm really not clear how ypu see shared vehicles as more traffic. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

I support in this order:
    1 Walking

I do not at all support childres under age 12(*) operating vehicles on the road, no matter how they are powered.

That's the third option.
    No it's not, since there is no licensing for pedal cycles. They are a great equaliser in that sense.
    I'd prefer if the person walked or caught the bus / train, because that makes for less traffic.

If they really must take a vehicle if prefer the smallest one possible given the cargo involved. Usually that would be an e-scooter or a bicycle.

However, taken at face value, the preferences you espouse (first quote above) put a single occupant car ahead of a bicycle. That is more traffic and (more importantly) more congestion every time.

That's the third option.

eScooters can't be licensed its not a class of vehicle. An eMoped maybe.
    Cars cause traffic no matter how many people you have in them.

https://humantransit.org/2012/09/the-photo-that-explains-almost-everything.html

It will come to a point eventually where public traffic will be banned from cities and towns. Irish cities and towns were not designed to cater for such volumes of traffic.

In Berlin for example deliveries are made to a depot on the outskirts of the city and then delivered by a smaller unit to the stores! There's forward thinking for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

In Berlin for example deliveries are made to a depot on the outskirts of the city and then delivered by a smaller unit to the stores! There's forward thinking for you!

UPS are doing this in Dublin to an extent. They’re parking containers just outside the city centre and dispatching deliveries from them using electric assisted pedal mini van type contraptions.

Peak is woeful now in Dublin. I just avoid whole areas at certain times. Going some places and appointments are just no longer an option..

And then people complain about the punctuality of public transport!
    The reasons are out there but the majority are not down to public transport!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Yes.

So the kids should be WALKING not using wheely things.

This isn't two-wheels good, four wheels bad.

It's don't wheel when walking will do the trick.

Walking also includes the kids whose parents cannot afford bikes. Its kinder to everyone and needs less supervision. What's not to love.

Clearly you love walking - good for you. No offence, but who are you to say that other people and their kids should be walking not cycling ?

At the end of the day, they're all healthy activities which is what is needed to reverse the lazy obese trend in our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭doiredoire

Just have read this thread and I have to say it is one of the most petty, mean spirited threads I have read in a long time.

Getting young kids out on bikes in a safe, supervised environment, what's not to like?

Having 60 kids cycling to school is a complete win win situation. You are taking cars off the road so there is less congestion and pollution. The kids are getting fitter, learning road craft which will make them safer cyclists and safer drivers in the future. Physical exercise also increases physical and mental health.

Yet many of this thread want to stop the kids from cycling. Bizarre

Actually they want to stop everyone from cycling. Makes it harder to create traffic jams. Without cyclists it would be much easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I support in this order:
    1 Walking

You read like claddaghswan on twitter? #walkingFirst
    https://twitter.com/claddaghswan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Walking first is all well and good for short journeys for people with time, but not for travelling any distance. Especially for the little legs of kids whose parents have abandoned them which strangers while they drive to work. Travelling by bike can make journeys much faster and people including kids can travel much further. So #screwWalkingFirstUnlessItIsPratical.

an example, were one needed, that students could benefit from this:

Some teens’ cardiovascular health akin to that of 60-year-olds
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/some-teens-cardiovascular-health-akin-to-that-of-60-year-olds-1.3788969

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

an example, were one needed, that students could benefit from this:

Some teens’ cardiovascular health akin to that of 60-year-olds
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/some-teens-cardiovascular-health-akin-to-that-of-60-year-olds-1.3788969

Spokesperson from Irish Heart Foundation discussed it on the Hard Shoulder this evening and Ivan as usual slagged her re the Nanny State. He seems to think a serious non jokey discussion would bore his listeners

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Now we've got a scooter train in Dublin

https://twitter.com/stclares1803/status/1100761789116100608

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

That's fantastic. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

That's fantastic. :D

I imagine in a few years time any kid that makes their own way to school without either Mammy’s Taxi or being part of The Collective will be taken into care.

I imagine in a few years time any kid that makes their own way to school without either Mammy’s Taxi or being part of The Collective will be taken into care.

What's the point you are trying to make?

• Advertisement

From the Galway Cycle Bus Facebook page

Numbers for February:

239 individual trips over 13 days. (midterm break in Feb)
    Over 380km travelled
    Average of 18 children per day
    1 cancellation due to ice
    1 cancellation due to high winds
    1 rainy commute

Advertisement