Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle train

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Without the adults protecting the children, cars would speed past them closely and scare and endanger them. Do you think that’s ok?

At what point do young people cease to be wrapped in cotton wool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Of course they are, but you cannot proceed on to a roundabout just because the cyclist in front of you had a clear road. It is not clear that they are not doing that, they seem to following the person in front.

This is a disgrace, especially cycling across zebra crossings, which should be reserved for pedestrians, the most vulnerable class of road user. Encouraging children to break the law is never a good plan.

"...It is not clear that they are not doing that..."

It's a disgrace they might be doing something even if they are not doing it. Lol.

Kids under 12 are not allowed in the road unless accompanied and they aren't allowed to cycle on paths. So pretty much kids aren't allowed to cycle in Ireland.

This in a thread complaining about traffic and congestion. Talk about sawing the branch you're standing on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Going back to the thing about indicators - I phrased my earlier post badly. It's more precise to say there's no penalty set down in law for not using an indicator. Which means that even if you should (or "must") use your indicator, nobody can do anything about it if you don't.

And if anybody wants to contradict me on this one, please point me towards the exact provision in the Road Traffic Act (or anything else) that says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Probably the most idiotic post ever given what is being spoken about. Next time you are in a train station stand the far side of the yellow line on the platform when an express whizzes by. If you survive, come back here and tell us how you think kids would feel with motor vehicles doing exactly that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

As far as cycling on open roads go? When they're old enough to be able to understand how to interpret danger caused by other road users and anticipate the stupid moves people in motor vehicles may make before they make them.

I'm really not surprised there has been negative reaction to this. Does anyone here even drive in Galway and have they been 'inconvenienced' by this?

• Advertisement

• I'm really not surprised there has been negative reaction to this. Does anyone here even drive in Galway and have they been 'inconvenienced' by this?

On the contrary, the reaction locally has been hugely positive with multiple other schools looking at starting their own cycle bus (that's the actual name, not cycle train).

As for being "inconvenienced", what you are talking about is a road with cars going about 5kmh at this time of the morning.

Locally, nobody is against this and its being seen as a way to motivate the council into finally put in proper, segregated cycling infrastructure.

They are currently finalising plans for additional cycle buses in Remore and Oranmore.

One is starting shortly in Limerick too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

On the contrary, the reaction locally has been hugely positive with multiple other schools looking at starting their own cycle bus (that's the actual name, not cycle train).

As for being "inconvenienced", what you are talking about is a road with cars going about 5kmh at this time of the morning.

Locally, nobody is against this and its being seen as a way to motivate the council into finally put in proper, segregated cycling infrastructure.

I was talking about on boards/this thread specifically.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Duffryman wrote: »
    Going back to the thing about indicators - I phrased my earlier post badly.
    that's one way of saying 'what i wrote was clearly incorrect'.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How about they make cycle lanes on the paths with laws to remove anything parking on them, and no signs/bus shelters put on them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yes, but they also need to have respect.

It goes both ways.
    this is the attitude i find most bemusing. a child on a bicycle who is probably able to travel faster than the average car at that time (and which probably has the same number of occupants as the bike), is asked to have respect for the car, by getting out of the way; even though it's the car who's utimately causing the slowness in traffic

if a 10 year old on a bike is probably able to maintain about 15km/h without breaking sweat, the worst case scenario, that both the motorist and cyclist are travelling the full 3km in question, the motorist will be stuck behind the bikes for 12 minutes assuming at no point can they pass.
    how fast does traffic move in galway at 8:30am?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If motorists are going about their business lawfully then that is congestion. This film shows people obstructing the road deliberately because they consider their business more important.
    I presume you call out every other possible case of obstruction, Charlie? Every time you see a truck or van parked illegally on the path or bike lane to deliver to a shop or restaurant? Every cement mixer or HGV taking up most of the road while delivering to a building site? Every double-parked car while the motorists picks up the dry-cleaning or a Happy Meal?

Because if it's only obstruction by cyclists that you call out, the issue isn't the obstruction.

Probably the most idiotic post ever given what is being spoken about. Next time you are in a train station stand the far side of the yellow line on the platform when an express whizzes by. If you survive, come back here and tell us how you think kids would feel with motor vehicles doing exactly that.

Overreact much? Seriously though, what’s with the perpetual hand holding of kids who need to be taught personal independence as early as practicable, and not be either molly-coddled or collectivised

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

You’re right, we need to remove these speeding death traps as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

Overreact much? Seriously though, what’s with the perpetual hand holding of kids who need to be taught personal independence as early as practicable, and not be either molly-coddled or collectivised

just to be clear, you are advocating for 10 year olds to cycle through Galway morning traffic by themselves, even though a sizable amount of Irish adults claim they don't cycle because they think it's dangerous?

I'm not sure why you think providing adult supervision for children is "molly-coddling". Seems pretty sensible to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

So you’re ok to let under 12’s mix with traffic alone just to teach them? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Zebra3 wrote: »
    You’re right, we need to remove these speeding death traps as much as possible.

Trains?

Legally under 12s are not allowed on the road without supervision.

So in that context what point are you trying to make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

beauf wrote: »
    Legally under 12s are not allowed on the road without supervision.

So in that context what point are you trying to make?

That's not true.

That's not true.

Indeed. It’s what some posters think is true, is more important.

Indeed. It’s what some posters think is true, is more important.

wanna answer the question about whether you want 10 year olds cycling by themselves through Galway's morning rush hour? or do you just wanna pretend you didn't see it?

• Advertisement

Are you a parent? At what age have you sent your kids out cycling?

Shai wrote: »
    wanna answer the question about whether you want 10 year olds cycling by themselves through Galway's morning rush hour? or do you just wanna pretend you didn't see it?

I don’t answer questions to order, least of all one with assumptions about what I “wanna”. I imagine one of the reasons traffic is so fecked in Galway is induced demand from parents frightened that Mary or Johnny will be squashed unless they are in Mammy’s 4x4.

Then when Mary or Johnny become adults they only see the car as the key to the personal freedom denied them up to that point.

A vicious cycle of induced helplessness.

Hes complaining about kids cycling and kids not cycling. Also about parents driving and those cycling their kids to school.

He's covered all bases by complaining about everything and offering nothing

Are you a parent? At what age have you sent your kids out cycling?

You won't get any answers from someone who only complains about everything and offers no alternatives. Because they have none.

It's interesting that cyclists are not allowed on motorways but are allowed on roads with 80 limit. Often in cities people are doing 50+ in urban areas. Galway has had some high profile speeding reports.

I've never cycled in Galway but it comes across as pretty anti cycling place from everything that gets reported about it.

Sounds like the perfect place to let kids of all ages loose on the roads.

It's interesting that cyclists are not allowed on motorways but are allowed on roads with 80 limit.
    And on 100 kmph roads too

I don’t answer questions to order, least of all one with assumptions about what I “wanna”. I imagine one of the reasons traffic is so fecked in Galway is induced demand from parents frightened that Mary or Johnny will be squashed unless they are in Mammy’s 4x4.

Then when Mary or Johnny become adults they only see the car as the key to the personal freedom denied them up to that point.

A vicious cycle of induced helplessness.

And how will kids learn to cycle in traffic if adults won't teach them by, for example, running a cycle bus? Don't bother answering, I'm not sure you yourself know what you're arguing for or against at this point. You just seem to want to be angry at something.

You won't get any answers from someone who only complains about everything and offers no alternatives. Because they have none.

Tough talk, tiger.

Shai wrote: »
    And how will kids learn to cycle in traffic if adults won't teach them by, for example, running a cycle bus? Don't bother answering, I'm not sure you yourself know what you're arguing for or against at this point. You just seem to want to be angry at something.

Simples.

Parents teach kids from an early age to ride a bike safely.
    They then move from being supervised to riding on their own.
    All this on the basis that the kids know and use the Rules of the Road and are confident in differing levels of traffic.
    This involves a hands on and tailored level of supervision until the kid is responsible to travel on the roads themselves.
    It involves parents taking responsibility, and children learning responsibility.

It couldn’t be any clearer than that.

• Advertisement

Bit old...

https://connachttribune.ie/eight-out-of-ten-motorists-speeding-survey-shows/

"The rates of speeding in Galway were “100 times greater than the official detection rate on national primary and secondary roads” around the country as recorded by the Garda national operation, according to COSAIN."

I wonder has it changed since.

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/galway-races-traffic-problems-year-round-4155045-Jul2018/

Advertisement