Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I am a Dub but Donegal is hands down the most beautiful county in Ireland. Most amazing beaches, fantastic walks in the mountains, highest sea cliffs, also the likes of glenveagh national park. People really friendly too and so under populated

Ah no! Having lived in both, Mayo wins hands down. it really does. If you know where to go... Downpatrick Head for example and all that coastal drive from Ballina along to Brpadhaven Bay

And Kerry has nationally the highest cliffs, looking out to the Skelligs and the Dingle peninsula..

Oh and West Cork; Mizen head! Nowhere like it for cliffs and vastness of ocean

OF COURSE all the outlying coastal counties
    are glorious and unspoilt. Thankfully!

All well worth visiting and enjoying in person,

Donegal is just one of these!

MAYO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It has been a wonderful few days out here.
    Unbroken blue skies, often unfolding late morning after suspenseful hours wondering if the sun would win through.,

Still that chill in the shade that refreshes and makes it distinctively autumn, The north facing back garden here has had hoar frost in deep shade all day long and it is lovely! Wide green grass blades gently overlaid with white,

Spending long hours sitting out gazing at it all; as the thick mist lying over the blue, then a gap then clouds, then melting slowly away to a day of blue bright beauty

In my years here with the winds etc I have never managed to get a sunflower to blossom. The wind changes direction so often that shelter is hard,

Watching now as a huge sunflower is showing gold and with three more days..this summer!

An unusual summer melding into true autumn now, and lovely to see this.

Signing off a while

West Mayo offshore

Today must be one of the nicest late September days we have ever had in Cork. Cloudless and almost windless all day long. Kids are in the paddling pool which I thought I had put away for the year!

We've had a phenomenal run in Cork. Apart from some mist last Sunday morning, we're over three weeks without rain of any kind. Looks like a breakdown is on the way but the last few weeks will certainly have shortened the winter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

We've had a phenomenal run in Cork. Apart from some mist last Sunday morning, we're over three weeks without rain of any kind. Looks like a breakdown is on the way but the last few weeks will certainly have shortened the winter.

And such a dry heat too!

I've been sweating like a pig all summer, but yesterday was just lovely.

I spent the weekend hiking the Causeway Coast in Antrim and it was wall to wall sunshine! Absolutely incredible weather, beautiful cooling breezes yet I still got swimming. I adore this time of the year, the emerging colours and the lower slant of the sun, nothing too glaring! Simply fabulous - I knew this spell was going to come to an end and maybe thats the end of true sunshine until next Spring - you need to enjoy these days and bank the memories.

I also had a mini break to Louisburgh and Clare Island in August and to Ballyferriter and the Slea Head area in July. Incredibly I got wall to wall sunshine for both those weekends too. Amazing photos and memories to carry me through Winter (I hope!) We live in a beautiful place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I know mayo well too, lovely county but Donegal for me every time :-)
    Graces7 wrote: »
    Ah no! Having lived in both, Mayo wins hands down. it really does. If you know where to go... Downpatrick Head for example and all that coastal drive from Ballina along to Brpadhaven Bay

And Kerry has nationally the highest cliffs, looking out to the Skelligs and the Dingle peninsula..

Oh and West Cork; Mizen head! Nowhere like it for cliffs and vastness of ocean

OF COURSE all the outlying coastal counties
    are glorious and unspoilt. Thankfully!

All well worth visiting and enjoying in person,

Donegal is just one of these!

MAYO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice blue skies and sunny morning in D5, no doubt some on here will tell me there is no sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Another lovely morning in wexford, though apparently we're back to summer 2020 weather this week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭compsys

After three days of gloom in Dublin (Friday and Saturday had nice weather from around 5pm only, Sunday was cloudy all day and 14 degrees) it's finally sunny in the capital.

Temps already higher than they were all weekend. Hopefully we'll touch 20 again today.

Once again Dublin's best weather is when high pressure isn't right over us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭highdef

Still cool and dull as dishwater in North Kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Went to Dingle and Ventry beach yesterday Sunday. It was very like I was on a foreign beach there. Water was fairly warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Back to dark and grey in Letterkenny, was good while it lasted

Nice blue skies and sunny morning in D5, no doubt some on here will tell me there is no sun.

I genuinely admire your optimism :pac:

These were the max temps and sunshine totals for Dublin for the weekend according to MET E.

Hardly anything to write home about?

The average max for mid September in Dublin is about 16 or 17º so it was cold even by Irish standards!

The sunshine for me in Dun Laoghaire was also very murky at times on Friday so it didn't feel like 9 hours or so at all (maybe the north of the county where the station is had sunnier weather that day)

Friday 15.1º 9.4 hours
    Saturday 13.9º 2.6 hours
    Sunday 14.7º 1.1 hours

I even notice today from the satellite that it's STILL cloudy over most of Dublin - thankfully the far south where I am is escaping it...for now.

Don't get me wrong, it's been a nice enough September but nothing overly spectacular in my opinion - at least in comparison to what was forecast.

Yes but you are taking 3 days in September. First of all it was dry throughout, which sure beats the rain. Secondly there have been numerous temps into the 20s this month, Phoenix park was frequently the warmest location in Ireland. Today sun splitting the sky again and may push towards 20 degrees. My point is if some cloud and dry weather is the worst we are getting, that constitutes a very good month. Can hardly remember any meaningful rainfall the past few weeks. Has it been constantly sunny and warm? No but there has been lots of sunshine and plenty of warm days, today no exception.

I think people on here need to be more realistic. If you want warm sunny weather consistently, then move to Nice, Seville, Lisbon, Paris etc
    compsys wrote: »
    I genuinely admire your optimism :pac:

These were the max temps and sunshine totals for Dublin for the weekend according to MET E.

Hardly anything to write home about?

The average max for mid September in Dublin is about 16 or 17º so it was cold even by Irish standards!

The sunshine for me in Dun Laoghaire was also very murky at times on Friday so it didn't feel like 9 hours or so at all (maybe the north of the county where the station is had sunnier weather that day)

Friday 15.1º 9.4 hours
    Saturday 13.9º 2.6 hours
    Sunday 14.7º 1.1 hours

I even notice today from the satellite that it's STILL cloudy over most of Dublin - thankfully the far south where I am is escaping it...for now.

Don't get me wrong, it's been a nice enough September but nothing overly spectacular in my opinion - at least in comparison to what was forecast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

no sunshine here in Meath, completely cloudy again.

Yes but you are taking 3 days in September. First of all it was dry throughout, which sure beats the rain. Secondly there have been numerous temps into the 20s this month, Phoenix park was frequently the warmest location in Ireland. Today sun splitting the sky again and may push towards 20 degrees. My point is if some cloud and dry weather is the worst we are getting, that constitutes a very good month. Can hardly remember any meaningful rainfall the past few weeks. Has it been constantly sunny and warm? No but there has been lots of sunshine and plenty of warm days, today no exception.

I think people on here need to be more realistic. If you want warm sunny weather consistently, then move to Nice, Seville, Lisbon, Paris etc

I agree that it's been very very dry. With a good few days over 20º which is great for Ireland in September.

But I really value sunshine so cloudy days don't really do it for me. And there's been many cloudy days this month.

You're also saying the sun is splitting the sky!? The satellite clearly shows that half the county is under cloud.

And it's now gone cloudy here in Dun Laoghaire while it's 13º in Dublin Airport :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

21C was forecasted for many eastern areas today, not a chance of this happening unless the sun comes out and it doesn't look like it will either, currently only 13C here, I think even 15 or 16C will be a struggle in many areas that remain cloudy.

This dry and warm spell is coming to an end today so I am all ready now for Autumn/Winter.

sun starting to appear here at last, hopefully temperatures will rise a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Completely overcast here in west Clare, dissapointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Feels hot out my back garden this is the best day of sept for me so far in D5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Beautiful afternoon in Kildare with good sunshine

Beautiful day in D5. I see Phoenix park was 18 degrees at 2pm, I wonder might it hit 20.

Johnstown castle currently warmest spot in Ireland at 20 degrees

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Beautiful day in D5.

Ditto in Dublin 16. 18.8c atm here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Stunning weather down here again today, and I'm not sweating at all like I was all summer.

Will be sad to see it go, but looking forward to crisp autumn days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm looking forward to the cooler weather, which we've been promised for a week now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Absolutely stunning in Dublin 5, definitely day of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Absolutely stunning in Dublin 5, definitely day of the month.

And pretty much no wind. Soak it up, prob wont see the likes till May. I'm going to go to St Anne's shortly, it's beautiful in this light.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Exactly. The Phoenix Park, for example, has been bang-on average for daily max this month so far, going by the daily datapoints on the lower graph below. Some days above the average, some below.

Rain has been well below average from the 3rd of the month onwards. Today's been another lovely day, sunny and currently 19 degrees (i.e. around 2 above average). People really do need a reality check sometimes.

https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/monthly-data

527016.png

527017.png

20 degrees in Phoenix park at 5pm

• Advertisement

here here! Now let’s wait for the negative police to strike again
    Exactly. The Phoenix Park, for example, has been bang-on average for daily max this month so far, going by the daily datapoints on the lower graph below. Some days above the average, some below.

Rain has been well below average from the 3rd of the month onwards. Today's been another lovely day, sunny and currently 19 degrees (i.e. around 2 above average). People really do need a reality check sometimes.

https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/monthly-data

527016.png

527017.png

Advertisement