Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feeling lost

• 04-08-2020 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, currently house sharing with 3 other people. The other two are working, third person just lost job to due Covid. I (32y) will start soon college with Back to Education Allowance. There have been issues with other three recently, not cleaning the place, strange behavior, kinda getting fed up with them. Tried talking with them but is just fine for 1 day than, things go back to normal, guys are older than me (44+), behaving like kids.
    Been house sharing for very long time, stress is eating me away. The other day got panic(axiety) attack, needed to get to hospital etc, long story short wasn’t nice experience.
    Have been thinking about getting HAP (please don’t hate me for it) and applying for social housing list, just to even get studio/1 room apartment, something small. The lease on the house is for another 9 months. Have some savings(10k+) while I was working and really good reference from previous place where I was living for almost 12 years. Been looking for places County Cork but not many landlords take HAP as is very standard demanding. Lost on what I can do given circumstances.

Sorry for long post just wanted to get things off my chest somehow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Can offer absolutely no advice here, as your situation is completely alien to me, but I just want to wish you all the best. Stress is dreadful. Panic attacks are terrifying. Try to hold it together till you sort out alternative living arrangements. The very best of luck, DFH79.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I think a lot of LLs will look very kindly on a tenant with HAP in the current climate, 12 year reference will do no harm either. It will only cost a little time to see if it possible for you. If are even thinking about applying for HAP start pulling the docs etc they have on the ticklist straight away, the process does take a little time, how much depends on your circumstances. The first thing to do is get on the housing list, each LA has its own upper income limit, a little bit of googling will find that, you then need to get the required documents to support your application and so on. Start on the Citizens Advice site and start from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DFH79

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    Can offer absolutely no advice here, as your situation is completely alien to me, but I just want to wish you all the best. Stress is dreadful. Panic attacks are terrifying. Try to hold it together till you sort out alternative living arrangements. The very best of luck, DFH79.

Thank you for your support.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

DFH79 wrote: »
    Hi, currently house sharing with 3 other people. The other two are working, third person just lost job to due Covid. I (32y) will start soon college with Back to Education Allowance. There have been issues with other three recently, not cleaning the place, strange behavior, kinda getting fed up with them. Tried talking with them but is just fine for 1 day than, things go back to normal, guys are older than me (44+), behaving like kids.
    Been house sharing for very long time, stress is eating me away. The other day got panic(axiety) attack, needed to get to hospital etc, long story short wasn’t nice experience.
    Have been thinking about getting HAP (please don’t hate me for it) and applying for social housing list, just to even get studio/1 room apartment, something small. The lease on the house is for another 9 months. Have some savings(10k+) while I was working and really good reference from previous place where I was living for almost 12 years. Been looking for places County Cork but not many landlords take HAP as is very standard demanding. Lost on what I can do given circumstances.

Sorry for long post just wanted to get things off my chest somehow.

You could try to move into accommodation with people closer to your age. I’m sure the landlord wouldn’t mind as long as you got a replacement tenant. You don’t want to stay in a bad situation that causes panic attacks

Hi, got all necessary documents, going there tomorrow to apply. It's complicated situation because rent and all bills goes from my account. Long time ago trusted one guy with the bills, he left us with almost 900e bills for gas and electricity. Since that time I took over responsibility and bills were always paid on time. The other thing is that none of the guys will took over the house, it's difficult position. Maybe if I explain my circumstances to landlord he'll let me off the hook.

Thank you guys any input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Hi, got all necessary documents, going there tomorrow to apply. It's complicated situation because rent and all bills goes from my account. Long time ago trusted one guy with the bills, he left us with almost 900e bills for gas and electricity. Since that time I took over responsibility and bills were always paid on time. The other thing is that none of the guys will took over the house, it's difficult position. Maybe if I explain my circumstances to landlord he'll let me off the hook.

Thank you guys any input.

Unless you have a fixed term lease, once you give the required notice, the rest is the LL’s/tenants problem. Just tell the other tenants you are closing the utility accounts in your name and that it is up to them to decide who steps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Don't think that applying for HAP and getting on the housing list are quick fixes. One bed units are scarce and the list is long, wait likely to be years. In some council areas that could be 10 years plus. Bear in mind that the housing list is dynamic and points based, new applicationd don't automatically go to the back of the list. So you could be number 300 one month and 320 the next month.

On HAP, very few landlords take it, for many reasons. Best way of getting a place is word of mouth and through friends, family, other connections.

Caranica wrote: »

Don't think that applying for HAP and getting on the housing list are quick fixes. One bed units are scarce and the list is long, wait likely to be years. In some council areas that could be 10 years plus. Bear in mind that the housing list is dynamic and points based, new applicationd don't automatically go to the back of the list. So you could be number 300 one month and 320 the next month.

On HAP, very few landlords take it, for many reasons. Best way of getting a place is word of mouth and through friends, family, other connections.

I am a LL and I love a good HAP tenant and so the other LLs of my acquaintance, also getting HAP and being on the housing list are mutually exclusive.

OP don't listen to the neggers, apply for HAP and if you get it then worry about where you are going to live. I wouldn't worry about notice, it may take months to get approval.

I am a LL and I love a good HAP tenant and so the other LLs of my acquaintance, also getting HAP and being on the housing list are mutually exclusive.

OP don't listen to the neggers, apply for HAP and if you get it then worry about where you are going to live. I wouldn't worry about notice, it may take months to get approval.

Hi, thanks for good word. Isn't there requirement that once you sign up for HAP with landlord you need to stay for at least 2 years? Is really taking that long to get HAP, I thought once form are signed you're good to go.

Caranica wrote: »

Hi, thanks for encouragement. I know is not going to be easy, is just what came up with given circumstances. The problem is my whole family left and don't have any friends here. The only things that I do have are really good references and savings. Place that I rent is treated as my own so I do take care of it. Thanks for your advice.

• Advertisement

Smouse156 wrote: »
    You could try to move into accommodation with people closer to your age. I’m sure the landlord wouldn’t mind as long as you got a replacement tenant. You don’t want to stay in a bad situation that causes panic attacks

Hi, thanks for your advice. I certainly would, because I'll on Back to Education Allowance<student> that alone don't put smile on people faces. The other thing is really hard to find place that is not a party house. Parties are not my thing, barely drink any alcohol. When looking at ads I see people looking for professional working individuals. Don't want to make an excuses, is just how it's right now. Thank you for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

I am a LL and I love a good HAP tenant and so the other LLs of my acquaintance, also getting HAP and being on the housing list are mutually exclusive..

No they aren't. You have to be eligable and assessed for social housing to get HAP in the first place, and you can be (most people are) both on HAP and the social housing list.

stinkbomb wrote: »
    No they aren't. You have to be eligable and assessed for social housing to get HAP in the first place, and you can be (most people are) both on HAP and the social housing list.

When you accept HAP you are removed from the housing list, you can apply for a transfer but your chances of getting housed by an LA is zero ATM. The whole point of HAP was to reduce the housing list. Housing agencies do accept those in receipt of HAP and those with a good reference and proof of paying rent on time from a HAP LL often get housed by HAs.

When you accept HAP you are removed from the housing list, you can apply for a transfer but your chances of getting housed by an LA is zero ATM. The whole point of HAP was to reduce the housing list. Housing agencies do accept those in receipt of HAP and those with a good reference and proof of paying rent on time from a HAP LL often get housed by HAs.

I'm sorry but that's not the case. Housing Associations are assigning tenants to properties every day of the week, with names from the council lists. Most of them are on HAP in private renting.
    Housing Associations take from the social housing list on behalf of the County Councils. Only a small number of allocations are direct council now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

You’re at the age where house sharing has just become a headache. It’s fine when you are young but it’s pot luck with who you share with. Don’t get too stressed about it. Read some flat mate horror stories and you’ll realise things could be worse. Try some meditation and exercise to reduce stress. Maybe stick to your room and get out more so your not stuck in the thick of it. The guys in their 40’s should be motivation not to be house sharing in your 40’s!

Hi, thanks for good word. Isn't there requirement that once you sign up for HAP with landlord you need to stay for at least 2 years? Is really taking that long to get HAP, I thought once form are signed you're good to go.

The expectation is that you stay two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭horsey63

Just something to possibly consider, The Home Share. Had looked into this for my dad earlier this year, but he was too ill and subsequently passed, but his sister, my aunt, is now in the early stages of the process. Might not be every ones cup of tea, but a good match can be great. I was kind of surprised that my aunt (78) was interested as she is still fully independant, driving etc, but she feels she would like a presence at night in the house and afaik once you are happy with the match, its a one year commitment - might just give you some space and time to think what direction you want to go in

I'm sorry but that's not the case. Housing Associations are assigning tenants to properties every day of the week, with names from the council lists. Most of them are on HAP in private renting.
    Housing Associations take from the social housing list on behalf of the County Councils. Only a small number of allocations are direct council now.

What you need to do is get on to gov.ie people because their site says 'HAP is for people who have a long-term housing need and who qualify for social housing support. A person’s housing need is met by HAP and the person is removed from the housing waiting list' when they correct that for you can get back to me then.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.communitylawandmediation.ie/_fileupload/CL%26M%2520Social%2520Housing%2520Guide.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiJ7aGIsofrAhW8ShUIHd6SBJAQFjANegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw0yur-sFvLwu3xscpvBUAlC

What you need to do is get on to gov.ie people because their site says 'HAP is for people who have a long-term housing need and who qualify for social housing support. A person’s housing need is met by HAP and the person is removed from the housing waiting list' when they correct that for you can get back to me then.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.communitylawandmediation.ie/_fileupload/CL%26M%2520Social%2520Housing%2520Guide.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiJ7aGIsofrAhW8ShUIHd6SBJAQFjANegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw0yur-sFvLwu3xscpvBUAlC

Unless they apply to the transfer list, which literally every single person who gets HAP does. I actually work in this area, I can assure you that what I said is the truth.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    You’re at the age where house sharing has just become a headache. It’s fine when you are young but it’s pot luck with who you share with. Don’t get too stressed about it. Read some flat mate horror stories and you’ll realise things could be worse. Try some meditation and exercise to reduce stress. Maybe stick to your room and get out more so your not stuck in the thick of it. The guys in their 40’s should be motivation not to be house sharing in your 40’s!

Hi, sorry for late response, was consumed with things going on. The problem is house would be in much worse state, I'm kinda working as wall that holds the tide. Thank you for motivation sentence.

• Advertisement

Hi guys, let's say I do get approved for HAP, but landlord property doesn't. Is there anyway not to go through eviction process if landlord can't afford to implement necessary standards? Don't want to be burden for my landlord.

The standards are very low (despite what some LL's will tell you), its hard to fail. But you don't get an inspection until you're months in the property, and HAP isn't just cancelled if the property fails.
    Don't worry about that side of it. IF the LL runs into trouble it means the property shouldn't be rented to anyone.

Unless they apply to the transfer list, which literally every single person who gets HAP does. I actually work in this area, I can assure you that what I said is the truth.

And each LA has it own transfer list rules which all restrict the circumstances in which a tenant can move to enlargement of the household, disability and being a victim of anti social behavior. God help anybody relying on ASB to get a move.

Advertisement