Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Clodagh - 29 November 2015

• 28-11-2015 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭

I see an Orange warning posted for tomorrow for Storm Force 10 winds, do we need a new Orange Advisory for these winds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Thats out at sea,for now anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Yeah, orange marine warning is all I see too. Fairly standard out at sea this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Yellow warning took down from met eirann. I wonder are they updating there warning. Time will tell.

Just heard on the radio it will be an orange warning tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Padster90s wrote: »
    Just heard on the radio it will be an orange warning tomorrow.

Ya upgraded to orange now.gusts up to 130 k

• Advertisement

eastmayo wrote: »
    Ya upgraded to orange now.gusts up to 130 k

Seems to be nationwide, warning just says Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

They're always behind the curve we had gusts here in kilkenny yesterday so strong my trampoline was dancing on half it's legs but no mention of wind nada. I take all their nowcasts with a massive dose of salt these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

screamer wrote: »
    They're always behind the curve we had gusts here in kilkenny yesterday so strong my trampoline was dancing on half it's legs but no mention of wind nada. I take all their nowcasts with a massive dose of salt these days.

Localised more than national though in fairness. They cant really be expected to forecast every gust in everyone's back garden. And in fairness despite some unwarranted stick here they called November bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Meteorological situation at 0900: Active fronts are crossing Ireland in a cold, strong to gale force southwesterly airflow. This will veer westerly and ease a little this evening. Another wave on the Polar Front will deepen as it tracks just to the northwest of Ireland tonight and in over Scotland tomorrow bringing a very strong and for a time a storm force gradient over Ireland Sunday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Looking forward to some more "real" weather.

This one seems to have snuck up on us which makes for an otherwise boring weather weekend more interesting :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The model gradients which peak around 0900h Sunday are not overly impressive looking and this will probably be more of a level one event for most, maybe borderline level two at exposed west coast locations. That's based on 06z guidance, 12z guidance is not on line yet. Based on the current guidance, it looks like maybe 65 kt peak gusts for Mace Head, 55 kt Shannon and 50 kt Dublin. Will check the guidance from 12z runs and reassess.

Any moderator with superpowers could perhaps tag this thread level one for now and change the title to Strong winds likely on Sunday. We could upgrade to level two if the gradient looks stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The model gradients which peak around 0900h Sunday are not overly impressive looking and this will probably be more of a level one event for most, maybe borderline level two at exposed west coast locations. That's based on 06z guidance, 12z guidance is not on line yet. Based on the current guidance, it looks like maybe 65 kt peak gusts for Mace Head, 55 kt Shannon and 50 kt Dublin. Will check the guidance from 12z runs and reassess.

I wonder M.T, if the speed of which these waves features are moving at as they race across the Atlantic are adding a 'momentum' to the possible forecast wind speeds that the isobaric gradient may not in itself indicate?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

^ Reasonable point although I probably factored that into my numbers, the 12z GFS looks about the same -- as long as readers are aware that the situation is likely to be "level one" for most and perhaps level two in exposed parts of the west, for example Galway city might verify at level two but Limerick might be closer to the margin whereas Dublin more likely to be level one at peak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Surely if ME have an orange warning should it not be orange here as well, it seems nonsense that they have one and the amauters among us seem to think they are wrong by putting a yellow warning up, not having a go as I appreciate every poster here and love this forum

I think officially its an orange warning i.e met eireann.on here its officially a yellow warning but unofficially an orange warning for exposed western coasts.confused much?

~120 km/h gusts possible in a few coastal counties but for most places max gusts 90-100 km/h. So not strong but still enough to knock down a few branches and cause a few power outages here and there. Will zip by quickly though.

arpegeuk-52-77-0_caj8.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Weatherproof79

Curious to know why M.E have gusts up to 130km when the models and posters here think it will be less. Surely they have access to better more in depth info than we have so may be it is warranted to have an Orange warning? Thoughts?

On radio for the shipping forecast today Evelyn said the winds could cause structural damage so in my mind it should be orange but who am I to dictate a change of color

~120 km/h gusts possible in a few coastal counties but for most places max gusts 90-100 km/h. So not strong but still enough to knock down a few branches and cause a few power outages here and there. Will zip by quickly though.

arpegeuk-52-77-0_caj8.png

Might zip by quickly but it only takes one violent gust to cause significant damage, remember the roof of the boathouse in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

It's now updated to orange for all of Ireland starting at 6am in the morning. It's quite calm here in Bray but maybe the calm before the storm, love when it's really stormy :)

• Advertisement

Aerohead wrote: »
    On radio for the shipping forecast today Evelyn said the winds could cause structural damage so in my mind it should be orange but who am I to dictate a change of color

Well the official warning is orange and that is the only one that actually matters in terms of safety issues etc. This is really just a place to discuss the weather, I don't think we should be overly concerned with the title of our threads :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Well the official warning is orange and that is the only one that actually matters in terms of safety issues etc. This is really just a place to discuss the weather, I don't think we should be overly concerned with the title of our threads :p

Well Maq this is the one thing that always causes posts , the color of the warnings, it's going to last appx 6 hours according to the forecast just now

I'm going to go all mystic meg here, I've a feeling this one could cause s few nasty surprises. It came out of nowhere and has a nationwide orange warning. Hope everyone is safe but I'm looking forward to a few hopefully wild hours tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Padster90s wrote: »
    I'm going to go all mystic meg here, I've a feeling this one could cause s few nasty surprises. It came out of nowhere and has a nationwide orange warning. Hope everyone is safe but I'm looking forward to a few hopefully wild hours tomorrow!

The orange warning we had last Tuesday week I think. The wind in cherrywood Dublin was unreal. Anybody that knows cherrywood knows it's a wind tunnel at the best of time but last week you could barely walk in it. Fair few big branches and lines down in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just listening to Shannon ATC and Rescue 118 currently on the way to Galway hospital from Letterkenny, requested permission to a lower altitude over Donegal Bay to avoid a thunderstorm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Strongest winds tomorrow, as per the TAFs:

Shannon: 33 gust 50 kt, Dublin, Cork and Knock: 30 gust 50 kt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Named storm tommorow: Clodagh.
    When are the 18z models out?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Given we now have a storm name, Clodagh, and the potential for widespread strong winds, with possible storm force gusts, I have decided to upgrade warning to orange, in line with ME.

I'm off to Sky News and BBC News to hear them get their tounges around Clodagh!

• Advertisement

from met.ie

Weather Advisory for Ireland
    Clodagh, the third named storm of the extended winter season, will pass eastwards to the north of Ireland on Sunday morning, 29th November. The current Status Orange warning for very strong, westerly winds is a direct result of Clodagh’s evolution. Later Sunday, Clodagh will pass through Scotland and the North Sea towards southern Scandinavia where it is expected to deepen further

Advertisement