Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Autumn 2014

• 27-08-2014 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

We are now 5 days away from meteorological Autumn, and therefore just within the reliable timeframe in terms of accurate weather forecasting. Time, I think, for an Autumn-related thread. :)

So what are your preferences/hopecasts for the coming season?

There are tentative signs of a traditional early September warm spell, which will be nice and a welcome change after the chilly August that we've had.

Beyond that, I'd like to see the warm weather continue until the end of the month. A bit of windy weather might be nice towards the end but not to the extent of last year's winter. I'd also hope for any colder weather to hold out until we're into winter proper, instead of it being wasted early on (as it was in 2010).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Why did I think Autumn started 22nd September?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Why did I think Autumn started 22nd September?

That's when astronomical Autumn starts. Meteorogically, September 1st through to November 30th is considered Autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 EarnestH

The autumnal equinox right>

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Im hoping for a dry, calm autumn. After the upcoming warmish spell ends, I hope the rain stays away and the cold stays away till about mid November where I would like to see something more easterly starting!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

crisp and dry with a drink on the side. no wind please. just thought that type of descrption may have been used before elsewhere...still like it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I put together a couple of charts that show a few average daily data for Autumn based on the 5 year period 2009-2013. Data is based on the 'IMT' index which MTC uses in the forum's monthly competition. The stations used in the IMT index are all inland stations located in only in central belt of the country - but given their relatively good spread, their combined daily means are fairly good at inferring weather & climate trends on a more national scale.

These charts show the average trend (a small-scale 'singularity') in weather types over the last 5 years during the Autumn period. Not to be used as a forecast by any means (year on year variation will always occur) but might give very very very rough idea as to what to expect in typical modern Irish Autumn :)

Daily Max/Min temperature trends for the season. Fairy stable up to to first part of October; cooling down significantly during 2nd half.

4E86xy.png

Pressure, Wind & Rain trends. Atlantic depressions tend to become more vigorous and frequent during the 2nd half of the season. Lengthy dry spells more likely in 1st half.
    5hRiAG.png

All data used from:
    Met Eireann
    ERA Interim
    Ogimet

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Il just leave this here :eek::eek:

10363589_918230178191990_9122588281401854125_n.png?oh=2b92baa81bb15967cc4fb15ea68c9658&oe=548BC04C&__gda__=1418215568_15cbb924c18fccd7f43f2214ba6dc5e5

FI i know:cool: but looks like a monster

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

yes I have also heard a storm is due mid Sep around the 18th, but I'm no expert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A storm 10 days away? No one can know, I presume its suposed to be an ex Hurricane. Change 1 parameter by 1% and you'll get a completely different chart for 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

A storm 10 days away? No one can know, I presume its suposed to be an ex Hurricane. Change 1 parameter by 1% and you'll get a completely different chart for 10 days.

14 You mean :) ... and yes highly unlikely to happen . Though no doubt it'll be feckin plastered over the papers tomorrow id say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Just went passed Newlands Cross and there was a spectacular dust devil rolling across the construction zone. It had good height to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Saw the first Halloween stuff in a shop yesterday,wont be long until we are into Autumn proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Billcarson wrote: »
    Saw the first Halloween stuff in a shop yesterday,wont be long until we are into Autumn proper.

Halloween!

I was told the Christmas stock will be on shelves by the end of the month where I work, before the Halloween stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Floods likely at Spanish Arch and Promenade warns city council from Tues 7th Oct through to Fri 10th Oct.

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/72786/floods-likely-at-spanish-arch-and-promenade-warns-city-council

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its still F1 territory (10 days on) but a suggestion of a nice quiet high pressure building in the last few GFS runs.

Ha! tea-time run turns the outlook on its head :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

A mention of possible severe gales next week on bbc weather....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Looks like storms brewing for end of october on the charts now for awhile...

Has been appearing on the GFS control run a few times now :cool:

325120.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

^ my god! If this happens there will be very serious tidal flooding in Cork city centre. There is a very high 4.2m tide on the 25th, two days after the new moon. Get the sand bags ready!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Could indeed be soon entering a period with an increased risk of wet and windy weather, which is perfectly normal for this time of year.

0Z GFS was again showing a strong southerly tracking low in FI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

ah no, the weather we're having at the moment is grand. Wet and wind can wait till november :)

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Has been appearing on the GFS control run a few times now :cool:

325120.png

Hardly there at all now :: http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014101406/gfs-0-264.png?6?6

Or am I on the wrong ensemble ? ;)

Rikand wrote: »
    Hardly there at all now :: http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014101406/gfs-0-264.png?6?6

Or am I on the wrong ensemble ? ;)

Yep its certainly gone , was only the control that was showing it out of them all , its still showing A storm , just no were near what it was...

But sure..

Look whats in the atlantic right now

10252099_10152694794811760_2870043385102289085_n.jpg?oh=c02dbdf78ecdfda93a76ff0bf897bfa8&oe=54B2CDF3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Rainfall warning issued at 1600 for western and southern coastal countries valid until Sunday night

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

It gone very wild out there now here in east Limerick. Not so much rain but some crazy gusts at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Yellow wind warning from met
    National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Ireland

Strong southerly winds will gust over 45 knots this evening (Friday), early tonight and tomorrow (Saturday).
    Issued:
    Friday 17 October 2014 16:00
    Valid:
    Friday 17 October 2014 17:00 to Saturday 18 October 2014 23:30

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Absolutely coming out of the heavens in cork city :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A messy evening out there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Yikes torrential downpours here in cork city, parts flooded already & wind is howling

• Advertisement

The wind is giving my empty wheelie bins a fair auld rattle. They be rockin the side-to-side! - Athlone

Advertisement