Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mrnew

All is well after a few more queries we got approved today delighted. We have already viewed the house we wanted twice so have put an offer in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Misssally

We've got underwritten AIP and just sale agreed our place. our solicitor has just told us we have upfront costs for the MUD act replies and land registry compliant map, will this affect our mortgage application if I pay for them from my savings as it will reduce the average saved over the past 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Have you not already factored these costs in your solicitors fees?
    it shouldn't affect your mortgage application as its related to the property sale/purchase, and thats what the savings are for...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Misssally

TheShow wrote: »
    Have you not already factored these costs in your solicitors fees?
    it shouldn't affect your mortgage application as its related to the property sale/purchase, and thats what the savings are for...
    Not the architect fees for the map, I didn't know that was a thing but I did allow for extras within the fees so the money is there but its more the upfront costs of both in a month. I couldn't pay both of them and still save the same amount I have been saving. Good to know it should be ok. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭deisedude

Getting really frustrated with the bank. Everything is taking ages. Waiting on the formal loan offer and there is nothing on our side thats holding it up. Being put under pressure by the developers to sign the contracts now. Anything we can do to speed them up or just have to wait and be patient?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Quick question; if a couple currently living in commuter-land with 2 cars which are needed for work, are planning to move to close to Dublin city centre which will allow them to get rid of one car... would a bank take this into account when calculating monthly outgoings.

What I mean is: can you say to them that the car costs €X per month, this will now be reduced to zero - similar to how current rent paid can be taken into account?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭niamhzie

deisedude wrote: »
    Getting really frustrated with the bank. Everything is taking ages. Waiting on the formal loan offer and there is nothing on our side thats holding it up. Being put under pressure by the developers to sign the contracts now. Anything we can do to speed them up or just have to wait and be patient?

Could be a natural backlog with the underwriting team, summer is when most people are househunting, combined with staff who could be on annual leave. No harm phoning your mortgage broker or adviser and asking for an update? See if they can advise how what the wait time is, ask again if there's any outstanding paperwork your end, just in case.

• Administrators Posts: 53,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Quick question; if a couple currently living in commuter-land with 2 cars which are needed for work, are planning to move to close to Dublin city centre which will allow them to get rid of one car... would a bank take this into account when calculating monthly outgoings.

What I mean is: can you say to them that the car costs €X per month, this will now be reduced to zero - similar to how current rent paid can be taken into account?

Bank will take your circumstances as they are right now, they don't work against speculation in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

I agree with the above comment, and I will add that you shouldn't trust the mortgage advisor in the bank. They will tell you a lot of bull**** about how much you can borrow, and so on, but the decision making sits with the underwriting team.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Is there a reason you need to wait until you've a formal loan offer from the bank to sign the contracts?

Unless your solicitor is asleep at the wheel, he/she should have gotten a "Subject to Loan Offer" clause inserted into the contract.

As long as the "Subject to Loan Offer" clause is in the contracts, I wouldn't have thought you'd have to wait if it's taking a long time. You should be able to just go ahead, sign contracts, and then sort out the loan offer at a later date. If it's a new build, you'll probably have a long wait anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭deisedude

z0oT wrote: »
    Is there a reason you need to wait until you've a formal loan offer from the bank to sign the contracts?

Unless your solicitor is asleep at the wheel, he/she should have gotten a "Subject to Loan Offer" clause inserted into the contract.

As long as the "Subject to Loan Offer" clause is in the contracts, I wouldn't have thought you'd have to wait if it's taking a long time. You should be able to just go ahead, sign contracts, and then sort out the loan offer at a later date. If it's a new build, you'll probably have a long wait anyway.

If anything went wrong we would lose the deposit on the house once we sign the contract. I mean nothing should but don't want to take a chance either.

Will give the bank a ring today and see whats up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

If anything went wrong we would lose the deposit on the house once we sign the contract. I mean nothing should but don't want to take a chance either.

Have you asked your solicitor to get a Subject to Loan clause inserted?

The vendor won't put it in without being pressed, and usually they don't put up much resistance.

If our experience is anything to go by, it's a fairly quick and easy thing for them to update.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

Hi Guys.

We will be mortgage approval in two weeks i believe but the money we will be able to withdraw in September when finished probatuon.

What if we like the house. Is it possible to sale agreed with mortgage approval but money Will be taken in september? I know this things take Time and i dont think we will agree on the house So Quick and we still want to apply for rebuilding ireland. Just in a case if we dont want to wait any longer.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Have you asked your solicitor to get a Subject to Loan clause inserted?

The vendor won't put it in without being pressed, and usually they don't put up much resistance.

If our experience is anything to go by, it's a fairly quick and easy thing for them to update.

This is not the case for a lot of developers recently. A lot of people in this forum were not able to get this clause added in when buying NEW developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

Quick question - at what point in the process do I need to actually contact/organise a solicitor? Looking to put an offer in any day now, but have never had any dealings with a solicitor. Do I need them lined up before I put an offer in?

That's the whole point of the "Subject to Loan Offer" clause. If anything goes wrong with the mortgage like you can't get a loan offer, the bank goes bust, your circumstances change and you can't do the final draw down etc. You will get your deposit back.

That's why if you have a "Subject to Loan Offer" clause in the contracts you should be 100% covered to proceed and sign anyway even though you don't have the formal Loan Offer yet.

Check with your solicitor to see if they're happy for you to sign rather than the bank.

In our case I had the Auctioneer pressing us to sign contracts telling us we were the last in the row to sign them, the loan offer wasn't the cause of the delay for us since our solicitor held firm as there was still stuff he wanted to clarify in the contracts.

We signed maybe a month after they wanted us to sign. No issues in the end.

GingerLily wrote: »
    This is not the case for a lot of developers recently. A lot of people in this forum were not able to get this clause added in when buying NEW developments.
    We had no issue getting the Subject to Loan Offer clause inserted either. It should be a pretty routine thing. Any solicitor worth their salt should be insisting on it being inserted.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Quick question - at what point in the process do I need to actually contact/organise a solicitor? Looking to put an offer in any day now, but have never had any dealings with a solicitor. Do I need them lined up before I put an offer in?

No, you'll need one short after your offer is accepted.

We had no issue getting the Subject to Loan Offer clause inserted either. It should be a pretty routine thing. Any solicitor worth their salt should be insisting on it being inserted.

Thats a bit of an ignorant comment to be fair. Our solicitor tried, the developers didn't care and were able to deny it as there was a queue of waiting buyers.
    We were strongly warned that it was risky, but if the seller doesn't want it, they don't have to include it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭niamhzie

That's the whole point of the "Subject to Loan Offer" clause. If anything goes wrong with the mortgage like you can't get a loan offer, the bank goes bust, your circumstances change and you can't do the final draw down etc. You will get your deposit back.

That's why if you have a "Subject to Loan Offer" clause in the contracts you should be 100% covered to proceed and sign anyway even though you don't have the formal Loan Offer yet..

Ours was a funny one, new build, and the gist of the clause was that we would make all reasonable attempts to get a loan offer if the original fell through. Our solicitor was OK with it, because our loan offer was fairly secure, and that we would probably be able to secure an alternative offer if anything happened, and worse case scenario she would argue that 'reasonable' was a bit open to interpretation

Thats a bit of an ignorant comment to be fair. Our solicitor tried, the developers didn't care and were able to deny it as there was a queue of waiting buyers.
    We were strongly warned that it was risky, but if the seller doesn't want it, they don't have to include it.
    Yes it's truly the seller's choice as it should be. Your experience isn't surprising in a seller's market.

However, my point is that any solicitor that isn't asleep at the wheel should definitely be requesting the clause be inserted if their client is dependent upon a mortgage from a bank to buy. Ignorance not intended.

EDIT: Didn't mean to quote you originally, apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Any solicitor can insist all they want. The developers solicitor can deny it if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

Same experience here - solicitor tried but developer refused and plenty of people willing to take our spot if we pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

No. The only thing that would work in your favour is if there was a car loan which would be cleared from the sale of the car, thus one less formal outgoing which increases repayment capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Hi there

We are approved with AIB and they are awaiting our decision on whether we want fixed rate or variable.

5 year fixed rate is 2.85% does this sound like a good deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

If I was to speculate, I'd consider the below:

1) ECB just signaled it may be dropping the rates further.
    2) Global economies aren't doing that great, brexit looming, trade war etc
    3) Irish mortgage rates are still the highest in the Eurozone. Good rate in Europe would be 1.25% and not 2.6%
    4) Irish banks may be inclined towards reducing the rates as the bad mortgages clear off

So again, if I was to speculate, I'd go variable or fix for a shortest time possible and watch how the events unveil.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Hi there

We are approved with AIB and they are awaiting our decision on whether we want fixed rate or variable.

5 year fixed rate is 2.85% does this sound like a good deal?

Yes it is a good deal. You're not going to get much of a lower rate and you have certainty over your payments for the next 5 years, there is a lot to be said for peace of mind. You should ignore advice such as
    voluntary wrote: »
    I'd consider the below:

3) Irish mortgage rates are still the highest in the Eurozone. Good rate in Europe would be 1.25% and not 2.6%

Because it's completely and utterly irrelevant, you can't get a rate of 1.25% in Ireland so you may as well spend your time yelling at clouds.

If something massively better comes along in the short term then you can break your fixed contract, it isn't that expensive anymore as the bank can't apply punitive fees anymore, only recoup potential losses on their own borrowings.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,039 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Some of those cash back offers might be better. A 3% fixed rate for 5yrs with cashback would be better offer than a straight 2.85% rate if going fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Some of those cash back offers might be better. A 3% fixed rate for 5yrs with cashback would be better offer than a straight 2.85% rate if going fixed.

That's what I did, house needed a little bit of work and the cashback was worth far more to me up front than the savings over the course of the fixed term. So agree with this, do your sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Didn't realise people were being refused this. Our solicitor said it was a standard request that they've never seen refused.

Pretty crappy that people are being pressured to sign without that clause in place. But has anyone ever heard of a case where the sale fell through and the deposit not returned? I imagine we'd have heard of such a case in the news if a developer took a couple's 30/40k leaving them without anything to show for it.

• Advertisement

Didn't realise people were being refused this. Our solicitor said it was a standard request that they've never seen refused.

Pretty crappy that people are being pressured to sign without that clause in place. But has anyone ever heard of a case where the sale fell through and the deposit not returned? I imagine we'd have heard of such a case in the news if a developer took a couple's 30/40k leaving them without anything to show for it.

Right now there's a waiting list of buyers so you'd probably get your money back minus fees or something.

Your also contractually obliged to buy the property, its not only the deposit that's at stake.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement